Mason Mount

the wes

Frank is starting to put the pieces together.

"Mason's part of the first-team squad this year and it's time for him. His qualities will improve even more with the qualities around him."

"Everyone knows the hopes I have for Mason and he showed today a glimmer early in pre-season of what we might see this year and going forward."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelseas-plans-mason-mount-confirmed-18366345.amp

Found this interesting.

The year before Alli went to Spurs he scored 16 goals in 44 games playing in League One, Mason last year scored 11 in 44 playing a division higher. 

If Mount can have a similar impact to Alli's first season at sh*te Hart Lane (10 goals, 9 assists in the league and a further 2 assist's in Europe) that will come in very handy.

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Found this interesting.

The year before Alli went to Spurs he scored 16 goals in 44 games playing in League One, Mason last year scored 11 in 44 playing a division higher. 

If Mount can have a similar impact to Alli's first season at sh*te Hart Lane (10 goals, 9 assists in the league and a further 2 assist's in Europe) that will come in very handy.

I just wonder where in the pecking order he is. That 3rd midfield spot is our most packed and competitive position. Kante and Jorginho have to start in my eyes so that's Mount, Barkley, Kova, and RLC for one slot.

Good problem to have, though. This is the best/most midfield depth we've had in ages. Just might be difficult to keep them all happy. 

13 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Found this interesting.

They are very different players tho. Mount is someone who roams in midfield and develops his attacking actions from late runs in the centre. Alli is more of a classic attacking midfielder who operates in the channels and makes early runs for crosses and diagonals to provide an aerial threat. 

10 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I just wonder where in the pecking order he is. That 3rd midfield spot is our most packed and competitive position. Kante and Jorginho have to start in my eyes so that's Mount, Barkley, Kova, and RLC for one slot.

Good problem to have, though. This is the best/most midfield depth we've had in ages. Just might be difficult to keep them all happy. 

Kovacic definitely is not fighting for number 10, he's a rotation option to Kante and Jorginho I'd put my house on that.

Ruben won't be playing again till new year by all accounts so for the first half of the season it's Mount Vs Barkley and I think Mason will win out as his high pressing game is much superior to Barkley. Although that said Ross has very much responded to Mason's return with some strong performances in pre season so hopefully they push eachother.

10 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

They are very different players tho. Mount is someone who roams in midfield and develops his attacking actions from late runs in the centre. Alli is more of a classic attacking midfielder who operates in the channels and makes early runs for crosses and diagonals to provide an aerial threat. 

I'm not saying they are the same player but I am hoping Mount has a similar trajectory in his career after arriving in the PL. 

23 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Found this interesting.

Interesting stats but Tammy Abraham scored more goals than Harry Kane in the championship the question is can mount do the same in the PL time will tell finger crossed he can do it 

On 20/07/2019 at 5:18 PM, Pizy said:

46 minutes ago, Mana said:

What about Pulisic? You forgot him as well.

I think Mount and Barkley are the two going for the attacking midfield spot. Both have impressed in pre season and I see both getting plenty of game time and pushing each other. At the moment RLC doesn't need to be considered with his injury but when he comes back, it will be interesting what Lampard decides to do because three players for one spot will be difficult unless one drops deeper.

Kovacic will play deeper, he's not an attacking midfielder and will compete with Jorginho and Kante for the two spots in midfield.

Then I would expect it to be 2 into 4 with the wide players - CHO, Pulisic, Willian and Pedro.

The interesting change would be if Lampard decided on playing the diamond that he's tried at times. I think we have the midfielders to do this, especially when RLC is back fit too as we would then have 6 very capable players playing in that diamond all of which bring very different qualities to the table. The problem then would be what would happen to the wide players, but at present the strikers have a lot to prove and it may be that these can play as a second striker in such a formation like that. The other big problem with this however is we need top full backs to provide the width, and I don't think the crop currently are good enough to maximise this unless Emerson improves and Reece James breaks out.

4 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think Mount and Barkley are the two going for the attacking midfield spot. Both have impressed in pre season and I see both getting plenty of game time and pushing each other. At the moment RLC doesn't need to be considered with his injury but when he comes back, it will be interesting what Lampard decides to do because three players for one spot will be difficult unless one drops deeper.

Kovacic will play deeper, he's not an attacking midfielder and will compete with Jorginho and Kante for the two spots in midfield.

Then I would expect it to be 2 into 4 with the wide players - CHO, Pulisic, Willian and Pedro.

The interesting change would be if Lampard decided on playing the diamond that he's tried at times. I think we have the midfielders to do this, especially when RLC is back fit too as we would then have 6 very capable players playing in that diamond all of which bring very different qualities to the table. The problem then would be what would happen to the wide players, but at present the strikers have a lot to prove and it may be that these can play as a second striker in such a formation like that. The other big problem with this however is we need top full backs to provide the width, and I don't think the crop currently are good enough to maximise this unless Emerson improves and Reece James breaks out.

I feel diamond should not be played. Our strikers are our biggest shortcomings. Putting 2 of them on the pitch while sacrificing wide players would be redundant. I would rather we play 4-2-3-1. And when RLC comes in, I would hope we shift to 4-3-3. 

45 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

I feel diamond should not be played. Our strikers are our biggest shortcomings. Putting 2 of them on the pitch while sacrificing wide players would be redundant. I would rather we play 4-2-3-1. And when RLC comes in, I would hope we shift to 4-3-3. 

Yes but for the same reason midfield is by a mile our strength so I can understand the idea behind trying the diamond and as mentioned in my previous post, I believe all of our wide players are capable of playing centrally so could still operate in a support striker role behind one main striker.

I do think 4-2-3-1 is probably overall the most suitable formation at present, but I am pleased Lampard is trialling different possibilities and looks to be flexible.

I don't see what RLC coming back though would benefit us reverting back to 4-3-3. RLC could play in the attacking midfield spot and that advanced role should also benefit Mount and Barkley who both operate better higher up the pitch. 

19 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Yes but for the same reason midfield is by a mile our strength so I can understand the idea behind trying the diamond and as mentioned in my previous post, I believe all of our wide players are capable of playing centrally so could still operate in a support striker role behind one main striker.

I do think 4-2-3-1 is probably overall the most suitable formation at present, but I am pleased Lampard is trialling different possibilities and looks to be flexible.

I don't see what RLC coming back though would benefit us reverting back to 4-3-3. RLC could play in the attacking midfield spot and that advanced role should also benefit Mount and Barkley who both operate better higher up the pitch. 

I dont see RLC as a traditional no.10. His main asset is his strength and drive on the ball, rather than his continous movement (aka mount). I feel RLC in a proper no.10 role might be wasted.

Just looking at the scoring return of willian and pulisic and relying on them as our no.1 goal scorers will be too much. CHO looks far more of a traditional winger than a second striker. And pedro is way too hit and miss to be given a nod ahead of proven goal scorers like tammy and michy. I am happy that frank is experimenting and trying to get the best formation, but in my opinion, 4-diamond-2 looks to be the worst fit for the current crop of players.

4 hours ago, 1905didierblue said:

I dont see RLC as a traditional no.10. His main asset is his strength and drive on the ball, rather than his continous movement (aka mount). I feel RLC in a proper no.10 role might be wasted.

Just looking at the scoring return of willian and pulisic and relying on them as our no.1 goal scorers will be too much. CHO looks far more of a traditional winger than a second striker. And pedro is way too hit and miss to be given a nod ahead of proven goal scorers like tammy and michy. I am happy that frank is experimenting and trying to get the best formation, but in my opinion, 4-diamond-2 looks to be the worst fit for the current crop of players.

I understand with regards to his ability to drive and carry the ball from a deeper position, although I do think that RLC is technically good enough to play that advanced role and playing further forward can only likely benefit his goal scoring which came on massively last season.

I don't think the group are suited at present to play 4-3-3 because I don't think it gets the best out of Barkley and Mount, whilst I also think Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic all benefit playing in a 2 man midfield rather than 3. However we've both touched on Lamps' flexibility so RLC's return may coincide with a new option for him to play 4-3-3 at times as opposed to 4-2-3-1. 

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Robchels said:

Unpopular opinion probably, but I’m very impressed with him at United. Yes he was inneffective, but that is down to his selection for this game.

He showed really tight control of the football in really tight spaces. Looking forward to his development.

Nah bar Henrique, for some weird reason, all rated Mount's performance. 

Lampard could even prefer him over RLC when he becomes fit. 

4 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Nah bar Henrique, for some weird reason, all rated Mount's performance. 

Lampard could even prefer him over RLC when he becomes fit. 

heh yeah

hard to ignore RLC incisiveness as in goals :) but he's likely long ways from getting back to that form.