test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Blue-in-me-Veins

Danny Drinkwater

Started by Blue-in-me-Veins,

448 posts in this topic
Just now, Vybz Kartel said:

Damn I thought they gave him a 4 year. Thats crazy considering his age. Luiz and others who signed prior to turning 30 got 4 year contracts.

We signed Drinkwater when he was only 27, different to Luiz who was 29 when he came back and he signed only a 3-year deal. 

45 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Drinkwater is a good, solid Premier League player.

He's just not at Chelsea's level, simple as that.

You always hope that players can make that next step up, and he has simply failed to do so. His chance would have come in the middle of his first season when we had injuries and Bakayoko was struggling like crazy but Drinkwater was injured too then and once we had fully fit bodies in the midfield he was always going to be near the bottom of the list.

Hopefully he gets a run of games and plays well at Villa. He should be a good signing for them.

I think if we continued the more solid shape first route after Conte he may have got another chance but even if he was a success he was always going to be in trouble once we moved to a more front foot based system.

He was always a quick transition based midfielder as opposed to a controller, ironically he (in peak condition) would probably suit United right now, his quick balls over the top to Rashford, Martial and James would cause havoc on the break.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I think if we continued the more solid shape first route after Conte he may have got another chance but even if he was a success he was always going to be in trouble once we moved to a more front foot based system.

He was always a quick transition based midfielder as opposed to a controller, ironically he (in peak condition) would probably suit United right now, his quick balls over the top to Rashford, Martial and James would cause havoc on the break.

I agree, whilst I wasn't blown away at the time and felt we overpaid, I thought the transfer would be a quiet success because he seemed the profile to suit a manager like Conte who seems to have a habit of getting something extra out of decent or good, but not great players. But I'm pretty sure he came in injured, and just never got a run or seemed fully fit in that season.

Once Sarri came in, it was clear that Drinkwater and Bakayoko were completely surplus to requirements.

Tomo and Johnnyeye like this

10 hours ago, Vybz Kartel said:

Damn I thought they gave him a 4 year. Thats crazy considering his age. Luiz and others who signed prior to turning 30 got 4 year contracts.

And really he\s on £110,000 a week, who the fuck signed him up for that?

Granny I suppose?

The biggest sign ever was we signed this guy that the people behind the scenes are so non football people.

People harp on about Marina getting insane prices for people but she was part of bringing fucking donkeys like this here and they are still around.

SUNZ, Atomiswave and bigbluewillie like this

14 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

The biggest sign ever was we signed this guy that the people behind the scenes are so non football people.

People harp on about Marina getting insane prices for people but she was part of bringing fucking donkeys like this here and they are still around.

Getting insane prices? She and the board have shit away damn near £300m with mis-timed sales and poor contractual management plus horrid non sales and then forced  and/or shit buys. That is just since 2016-17. If Hazard's bonuses shit out just he alone represents close to £100m in potential revenue loss versus a timely mega-sale. Granted he carried us last year bot one cannot say that if we have taken RM's £180m or wee bit more earlier we surely could have upgraded the squad to help replace his output.

And again, that is but one example. If Willian walks on a free and we do not sell Alonso either this January or in the summer, that is another close (or more depending on what we ultimately do get for a 30-something Alonso in the future if he doesn't leave in 2020) to £100m down the shitter versus the £110m in transfer fees combined for the two of them we turned down in summer 2018. We lost around £40-45m or so by not selling Cuntois in a timely fashion in summer 2017 when everyone in football with half a brain knew he was NOT going to renew. Then we had to panic buy Kepa after Alisson and Oblak said nope nope to us. In 2017 we could have gotten Alisson (I was pushing for him then even though he had only been Roma's backup and had plenty of other options in the 20m to 30m max range, as remember Ederson went that summer for 36m and people freaked out on his price, but RM would have coughed up 70 or 80m for Cuntois at that point, ZZ was going bonkers to get him) or another great keeper for pennies on the pound compared to the 2018 last month-pressurised market.

Just those things that I listed now add up damn close to £300m in losses if the final resolution of Alonso goes south and Eden's performance fails his bonus targets for the most part, and still well over £250m regardless. That figure doesn't even begin to touch the shit buys and OTT salaries and renewals, and crazy deals like the Higs loan. The Costa and Morata combined sales (we netted a £15m profit combined, as we made 25m on Costa and lost 10m on Morata) saved us at most a combined £25m to 35m quid or so versus a complete cockup (say no profit on Costa and double the loss on Morata at worst case). That is pocket change compared to negatives. 

Johnnyeye and Atomiswave like this

Watching AV vs MC. First 27 minutes have been a nightmare for Danny. He has been involved in two terrible defences that resulted in goals. One that he should get an assist for passing it directly for the Man City goal. I was hoping he would have a good game.

Vesper and bigbluewillie like this

Danny Drinkwater produces contender for worst ever PL debut half for Aston Villa v Man City

https://www.givemesport.com/1537362-danny-drinkwater-endures-nightmare-debut-for-aston-villa-v-manchester-city?autoplay=on

Danny Drinkwater must wish he’d never left Leicester City for Chelsea back in 2017.

The England international played a key role in Leicester’s remarkable Premier League title triumph during the unforgettable 2015/16 campaign alongside fellow midfielder N’Golo Kante.

He went on to seal a £35 million move to Chelsea in the summer of 2017 - but this was the moment his career began to go into free-fall.
snip

Atomiswave and bigbluewillie like this

On ‎08‎-‎01‎-‎2020 at 10:29 AM, Special Juan said:

How dare you spew such crap.....this is not in her job description, she has no say on these matters........or so some still claim.

How dare you spew such crap.....this is not in her job description, she has no say on these matters........or so some still claim.

Whatever suits certain people's narrative.

Atomiswave likes this

16 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

So to clarify, you think she actually scouts and identifys signings herself?

Marina is to blame for a LOT of the fucked up things that go on

not all, but a fucking shedload

her and the corrupt SIBNEFT Mafia who continuously broke rules and got us the ban

she is the money, sales/buy negotiation and contract person for years and has been HORRIFIC on that end

she got lucky a couple times with Atleti and our two dreg strikers and pulled off a COMBINED 25m quid or so profit

that is piss-pot compared the hundreds of millions she and the numpty board have shit away

this whole strawman of 'oh, she doesn't scout' is distractive bollocks

she does more than enough damage without scouting shit

bigbluewillie and Atomiswave like this

17 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Marina is to blame for a LOT of the fucked up things that go on

not all, but a fucking shedload

her and the corrupt SIBNEFT Mafia who continuously broke rules and got us the ban

she is the money, sales/buy negotiation and contract person for years and has been HORRIFIC on that end

she got lucky a couple times with Atleti and our two dreg strikers and pulled off a COMBINED 25m quid or so profit

that is piss-pot compared the hundreds of millions she and the numpty board have shit away

this whole strawman of 'oh, she doesn't scout' is distractive bollocks

she does more than enough damage without scouting shit

If there's enough to slate her for in the first place then it's even more bizzare that he's gone down the route of blaming her for something not in her job description.

May aswell pin the Kennedy assassination on her aswell.

14 minutes ago, Tomo said:

If there's enough to slate her for in the first place then it's even more bizzare that he's gone down the route of blaming her for something not in her job description.

May aswell pin the Kennedy assassination on her aswell.

I slate her hard for the business and strategic end, never the scouting

if she is actually having input (which I very much doubt) into whom to buy from a footballing talent perspective, then we are well and truly fucked

Atomiswave likes this

31 minutes ago, Tomo said:

So to clarify, you think she actually scouts and identifys signings herself?

Vesper more than decently answered that, all I know we have gone way backwards with most buys and general transfers. If she has no say as some say then why is the same issues still evident. Why are those that fuck up still at it? You must admit we have done some bizaar stuff under her, not all bad of course but some ( there are many ) make us look a bit like amateurs.

13 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Vesper more than decently answered that, all I know we have gone way backwards with most buys and general transfers. If she has no say as some say then why is the same issues still evident. Why are those that fuck up still at it? You must admit we have done some bizaar stuff under her, not all bad of course but some ( there are many ) make us look a bit like amateurs.

she is handed the ones to buy and the ones to sell

and is also involved in contractual management for pre-existing players

and proceeds to bollocks up far more than she gets right

our scouting department and the linkage with the previous managers has been horrific lately too, with a few exceptions like Kante and Rudiger

Jorginho was one of the few that was strictly do to the manager

I so think that IF we had no bans, we might not have even purchased Kovacic ffs

Atomiswave likes this

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

she is handed the ones to buy and the ones to sell

and is also involved in contractual management for pre-existing players

and proceeds to bollocks up far more than she gets right

our scouting department and the linkage with the previous managers has been horrific lately too, with a few exceptions like Kante and Rudiger

Jorginho was one of the few that was strictly do to the manager

I so think that IF we had no bans, we might not have even purchased Kovacic ffs

Yeah we probably wouldnt have had Kova. Having the know how when to renew and when not to is a big factor in running a Club, being astute enough to get rid of a player that is either spent or average is crucial. As I said before all will be revealed come summer. We will see if we have learned anything at all.

Vesper likes this

1 hour ago, Nicco said:

The one who made this transfer possible shouldn't only be sacked but also sued for trying to tarnish our reputation and club.

So Antonio Conte? He stated he wanted Drinkwater for his experience and to provide balance in our midfield. 

People need to realise that Conte should be held just as much accountable for our horrific 2017 transfer window. Just take a look at some of the players he wanted the club to sign. Vidal, Nainggolan, Bonucci, Candreva, etc. These players would've been short term options and would've cost the club millions in wages. We would of found outselfs post 2010 Inter Milan had we signed all of them. Not to mention he desperately wanted gash like Morata and Bakayoko. 

Matter of fact, I would only criticise our board for not sealing the deal on Alex Sandro and Tolisso. 

Nicco and killer1257 like this