Tiemoue Bakayoko

the wes

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Would you be saying the same thing had the situation been the other way round?

You mean - if Bakayoko had been really great from the start?

Look, I'm not mad that we've bought Bakayoko. I just don't see a point in bringing players who are MASSIVELY unproven, very young, etc etc, for large sum of money, if we have opportunity to try with some of our players.

So he had good season with Monaco, they were really good, so what? Wasn't their key player and that was for only one season. This is not me saying - Bakayoko is not good enough. Hell, he could become another Essien some day, and that would be great .This is me saying - we need to scout better and if we are really gonna offload our young fellas for someone else (like we did offload Chalobah and bought Bakayoko), that someone better be good, better be really good. Not like this.

So, my answer is - it's a gamble. With a guy like Bakayoko, it's gamble. So why not gamble with our guys instead? (And I'm not even big fan of Chalobah, and I think Bakayoko is slightly better, just for the record.)

Just now, El P. said:

No. We buy Chalobah for 40m and sell academy player Bakayoko. If Bakayoko had come from our academy, people would be pleading patience because he's still young etc but because he's a purchase, people want instant success.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

No. We buy Chalobah for 40m and sell academy player Bakayoko. If Bakayoko had come from our academy, people would be pleading patience because he's still young etc but because he's a purchase, people want instant success.

Oh, well I would think the same, of course. I don't see that big of a difference between Chalobah and Bakayoko. Both raw, both unproven. In that case I would like to stick with Bakayoko. I think both of them are good potentials. Not great, but good.

He's young, given time to adapt and partnered next to kante or in a midfield 3, I think we'll see some improved performances from him in the future, especially 2nd half of the season. He looked a beast at Monaco, just needs to get up to speed in the premier league imo

6 hours ago, El P. said:

Look, I'm not mad that we've bought Bakayoko. I just don't see a point in bringing players who are MASSIVELY unproven, very young, etc etc, for large sum of money, if we have opportunity to try with some of our players.

So he had good season with Monaco, they were really good, so what? Wasn't their key player and that was for only one season. This is not me saying - Bakayoko is not good enough. Hell, he could become another Essien some day, and that would be great .This is me saying - we need to scout better and if we are really gonna offload our young fellas for someone else (like we did offload Chalobah and bought Bakayoko), that someone better be good, better be really good. Not like this.

So, my answer is - it's a gamble. With a guy like Bakayoko, it's gamble. So why not gamble with our guys instead? (And I'm not even big fan of Chalobah, and I think Bakayoko is slightly better, just for the record.)

You expressed some of the same thoughts I have precisely.

8 hours ago, El P. said:

He may not have been a 'key player' but he still was an unsung here who played a big part of their title winning season that toppled a PSG side and was part of the team that got into the semis of Champions League. I was upset to see Chalobah go but to say Chalobah and Bakayoko are same levels of unproven is not true. Chalobah had barely played any football for a top tier team while Bakayoko has and has been immense in many big matches Monaco had... PSG, Spurs and City for instance.

When people say getting rid of Matic for Bakayoko was a gamble, that is a lot more understandable however Bakayoko and Chalobah were at 2 different stages of their careers before Chalobah left and Bakayoko joined.

16 hours ago, El P. said:

So we will probably need to wait season or two before this fella becomes great player (EDIT: If he ever gets there, of course)

It was mentioned hundred times, but here it goes again - same situation would be present if we took time and gave REAL opportunity to some of our youngsters (especially Chalobah, for that place). Only difference would be having 40 millions more in the pocket, and having actually our "product" in the squad (+ one more home-grown player).

I don't see Bakayoko anything above Chalobah level at the moment. And the guy is getting first XI start every game. If Nathaniel had this kind of opportunity, to play every game at top club, his story with us could've been very different.

Drogba, Essien, Azpi, and bunch of others werent ''proven material'' either. They had good season or maybe two, much like Bakayoko. I always prefer the club to buy less known players and turn them into club heroes rather than buying established world stars. The prices tho are a reflection of the entire football tho. Yes 40m for Bakayoko was alot, but we have bigger revenue, bigger sponsor contracts, bigger tv rights etc etc. 40m for Bakayoko is like 25m in 2004.

Most here dont see Cahill and Hazard are now the players with longest time here, 2012 (not counting Tibo and Moses who went on loans, or Luiz who left). Thats 5 years. Several top clubs have players who have been there for 10 years. Thats huge difference because those players are true leaders of those clubs. We changed whole generation few years ago and new one is just getting their feet here, and already got 2 titles.

Stability comes with time. And time only. You cant expect great things from players like Morata or Bakayoko just yet. Give them time. Azpi, Tibo, Eden, Kante and maybe Luiz are the backbone of this team and they perform well in majority of the games. But you need whole 11. Bakayoko, Morata, Christensen, Rudiger will get there soon. However we wingbacks and RW leave plenty of improvement to be made in coming windows. We are 3 signings away of having excelent squad. Majority of our squad is 25, 26 then you have Baka who is 23, Azpi who is 28 and Luiz, Cahill over 30, but we already have younger future in Rudiger and Christensen.

Majority of our club youth is overrated as hell too. They might be decent squad players, but I guess they want regular role elsewhere. Nothing we can do about. But most of them would never be good enough for first 11.

Once we solve wingbacks and quality RW, which should be done hopeguly by start of next season, and if we keep all the main players here, this team is going to be beastly in 2019-2020

And never mind as long someone plays along Cesc, you cant blame him, be it Kante or Bakayoko or someone else.

Cesc is absolute ghost in any defensive or off the ball action and when in possession, he cant control the tempo, cant held his own under pressure. Neither is he a leader or mental winner because he goes in hiding in every bigger game.

No wonder his partner in midfield struggles too then, doing two man job and eventualy getting lost.

Bakayoko had Fabinho in Monaco, once Kante comes back and the two play few games, it should be allright.

17 hours ago, El P. said:

Exactly. If a player has only been on the radar for 1 season, and for that season, shown he needs to improve greatly, how do you draft him into your starting XI as the Premier League champions? You can maybe get away with it once in a blue moon (with Kante, who'd literally proven he can win this league), but it is not a solid or safe strategy. 

Sidenote: I hope nobody talks about 'Makelele rates him' again. When asked about Bakayoko, Makelele literally choked, stumbled over his opening words, and offered up a very sugar coated sentence while avoiding answering the specific 'Is he good enough for Chelsea?' (asked more or less in those words.) I cringed when I saw it.

Back to a relative point - Bakayoko would've been an incredible signing for, let's say, £28m (with up to £10m+ extra in performance-related add-ons, if he actually turns out great), with the intention of him being a bench player first. That, is solid. That is a Bayern/Madrid/Barcelona move. What we've done here is amateur. You don't defend titles with moves like this.