Jay Dasilva

Captain Ahmed

20 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Not sure if thats just down to Jay or youth in general specially loanees.

Unless the manager knows the lad hes getting it will always be difficult to break thru unless of course barring imjuries.

They sold their no.1 LB in Bryan to Fulham. I assumed it was going to be like for like swap. But not the case. Last season, was a bit skeptical that he went on loan to League 1 rather than the Championship when he had been performing for us in our youth teams for a few seasons. He will get a lot of starts but look at players like Reece James who is a couple years younger but starting every game for Wigan in the same league. He is a lot more built. I just don't see him coming back into the fold if he is not starting every game over there.

58 minutes ago, Stats said:

They sold their no.1 LB in Bryan to Fulham. I assumed it was going to be like for like swap. But not the case. Last season, was a bit skeptical that he went on loan to League 1 rather than the Championship when he had been performing for us in our youth teams for a few seasons. He will get a lot of starts but look at players like Reece James who is a couple years younger but starting every game for Wigan in the same league. He is a lot more built. I just don't see him coming back into the fold if he is not starting every game over there.

Very difficult to get that right balance of young and old. Specially in a team thats expected to fight for silverware every year. Much easier to experiment with youth in a regular mid table club with few expectations apart from maybe a cup run.

Give it time. Dasilva is on the lower range of normal (as opposed to being some sort of anomaly) for a full back at 5”7, the LB he is replacing at Bristol, Joe Bryan, is also 5”7. Could make a massive list of top full backs around present and past who are between 5”7 and 5”9 in height. Jay was ridiculously short in his youth maybe about 5”3 (maybe where people still think he’s *too* short from) but luckily he’s had a growth spurt since. 

Its a shame he hasn’t been starting from the off at Bristol, no doubt in part because we sent him there when they’d already started their season. I don’t get why we do that especially with our high profile/more talented loanees like Jay..can see with James, Trev and Sterling who are all starting what the benefits of a full pre season with a new team can do. Still Jay had this problem in his first few games at Charlton and eventually broke through, let’s hope he does the same.

• 1 month later...

Jay’s currently competing against our own hugely promising young player, Lloyd Kelly. Kelly is currently captain of England u20’s and has been training with the England Senior squad. 

Each player has their own strengths, of course, Jay probably offers more in an attacking sense, whereas our young left back is far more solid defensivly. 

Earlier in the thread I saw there was talk of Jay’s height, and someone said he was the same height to our old LB, Joe Bryan. That’s evidently incorrect. Dasilva can only be described as tiny, and that was targeted recently against Hull, however he proved that he has good positional sense, which on the whole got him out of a few difficult situations.

I do expect Dasilva to be in and out of our team, rotating with Kelly, depending on the opposition and whether we will be able to play a more expansive game, or whether we may have to be more defensive. 

On 29/10/2018 at 0:06 AM, Briz said:

Jay’s currently competing against our own hugely promising young player, Lloyd Kelly. Kelly is currently captain of England u20’s and has been training with the England Senior squad. 

Each player has their own strengths, of course, Jay probably offers more in an attacking sense, whereas our young left back is far more solid defensivly. 

Earlier in the thread I saw there was talk of Jay’s height, and someone said he was the same height to our old LB, Joe Bryan. That’s evidently incorrect. Dasilva can only be described as tiny, and that was targeted recently against Hull, however he proved that he has good positional sense, which on the whole got him out of a few difficult situations.

I do expect Dasilva to be in and out of our team, rotating with Kelly, depending on the opposition and whether we will be able to play a more expansive game, or whether we may have to be more defensive. 

Thanks for the information, it is good to see Jay getting some rotation minutes in the league now. Maybe in an ideal world (for me )Kelly is at left CB and da Silva at LB. interesting you mention his height, other fans seem to notice he’s smaller than his listed height of 5”7, which is small

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, mccg said:

Looks like B.City have a bargain , https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-chelsea-liverpool-transfer-2404130 and another transfer blunder by the board!

His height was always going to go against him and the exact reason why I thought he would not make it. Surprised that the board have agreed to sell him so early though.

2 minutes ago, Stats said:

His height was always going to go against him and the exact reason why I thought he would not make it. Surprised that the board have agreed to sell him so early though.

Think they said that about Ashley Cole , he done alright. Mmm probly abit of  murky deal , hopefully we have the chance to get him back cheapish if he keeps progressing?!

2 minutes ago, mccg said:

Think they said that about Ashley Cole , he done alright. Mmm probly abit of  murky deal , hopefully we have the chance to get him back cheapish if he keeps progressing?!

He is a bit taller than Jay DaSilva, but most importantly he had already been tried and tested in PL. Jay has not and we are already skeptical about giving youngsters first team chances. He also has struggled to get in the Bristol City team too which indicates to me that it is also possibly a physical issue too as all the Bristol City fans seem to be impressed when he plays, however he rarely starts more than one consecutive game. I like him but don't think it will be a huge miss. Just expected him to stay on our books longer.

2 hours ago, Stats said:

He is a bit taller than Jay DaSilva, but most importantly he had already been tried and tested in PL. Jay has not and we are already skeptical about giving youngsters first team chances. He also has struggled to get in the Bristol City team too which indicates to me that it is also possibly a physical issue too as all the Bristol City fans seem to be impressed when he plays, however he rarely starts more than one consecutive game. I like him but don't think it will be a huge miss. Just expected him to stay on our books longer.

Yeah 1 or 2 inchs but we men don't care about those lol . Heres a wee article u might like 

Chelsea left-back Jay Dasilva better than Ashley Cole was at the same age, says Charlton manager Lee Bowyer

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5709653/Lee-Bowyer-Chelsea-loanee-Jay-Dasilva-better-Ashley-Cole-was.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ja1 said:

He appears to have once again fought his way into the starting XI at a club he was originally on bench for. Can’t underestimate that..

I almost never say this

but too short

especially for EPL as a back

10 hours ago, Vesper said:

I almost never say this

but too short

especially for EPL as a back

I do know what you mean and as a rule I like tall defenders but he is getting a lot of good reports

But with Bristol having this pre agreed option to buy how can we keep him?

1 minute ago, Unionjack said:

I do know what you mean and as a rule I like tall defenders but he is getting a lot of good reports

But with Bristol having this pre agreed option to buy how can we keep him?

sell him

he isn't good enough

this loan army shit needs to end before we get caught in a rule change landslide

23 minutes ago, Vesper said:

sell him

he isn't good enough

this loan army shit needs to end before we get caught in a rule change landslide

I honestly don't know enough about the kid to argue his case.

Only thing in my head is IF he is better than our current options them play him.

You know me I want a complete sort out from top to bottom. The majority of the 1st team gone.

Look at our current top 3 options. Not one of them with a contract past the summer apart from Eden and we know that story.

This right now is the best time to do it.

I know it might sound plastic saying it but I don't give a toss. We need to buy a whole new team almost.

Ridiculous and weak to think that we need to change a whole team.  It would probably impossible,  just childish talk .

To introduce youngsters will backfire if things don't go right . This is a club that is built on success,  we are not the Spunks who have time as they are not under pressure to win anything. 

To build organically,  my god we have one of the best youngsters in the world joining in the summer. To hear this weakness can only be the mentality of the western effete .My grandfather was at Stalingrad and would turn in his grave .