test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Spike

3. Marcos Alonso

Started by Spike,

1,620 posts in this topic
18 hours ago, !Hazard! said:

Alonso does have some proper qualities and a sweet left foot, I'm sure nobody is denying that. However, he is still so slow that it is becoming a problem. He's not fast enough to cover the opponent's wingers. All our opponents will be targeting our left side for a reason. From a mile away one can see that Gary Cahill and Marcos Alonso are not on the same level as rest of the players in our current starting XI. 

I wish we could clone Victor Moses and make the new one left-footed. That's the type of player we should have as a left wingback. Marcos Alonso could still feature as a left centreback - I think that role could suit him quite nicely. 

11 Victor Moses's would win you CL

!Hazard! and Cripen like this

He isn't world class or anywhere near that by any stretch of the imagination, but he is also never going to be the annoying player. If you hadn't watched him before and looked at him, you would assume he is your typical donkey player who frustrates the hell out of you but that's not the case at all; He is intelligent, has very good technique, and above all knows exactly when to join the attack which is very important for a wing back.

We maybe could have done with a better option, but I'm very happy with Marcos. He should also start taking free kicks with that absolute peach of a left foot.

Muzchap and Barbara like this

Im thinking he would suit the left CB role well as his strong, tall, good on the ball and marks/tackles well. Of course that's if we buy an world class LWB next summer.

Really reminds me of Jerry Murphy who we signed from Palace in the 80's. He can cross a ball and take a good free kick but little else. Poor defensively and has no pace.

He's starting to show signs that he won't be the long term answer for LB/LWB. Just isn't physically able to keep up with some of the better players, let alone the best.

P.S. Great to have Tapa back. Cheers Jim

Has anyone noticed how when the ball is coming to him, he is constantly back pedaling? If the pass is basically to his feet, he backpedals while looking for somewhere to pass it. It usually takes 2 extra seconds for him to actually touch the ball. It slows down the play so much and gives time for the defense to get set. It also allows someone to close him down. It just disrupts the flow.

I don't know if he does it because he isn't aware of his options beforehand (if so, he needs to change that) or what. But he needs to take passes in stride quickly, taking the ball towards the way he's going to pass instead of backing off when it comes to him.

It's so frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Got injured when Cahill scored and not one player bothered. Poor lad.

I was so disappointed when I saw that

Supermonkey92 likes this

I do like the guy he seems really nice. To me hes alot better going forward and not strong enough or good enough defending. Which as Gazza ius our weakest CB it makes our left side week with Eden also not good defending.

So he needs upgrading (AND Gazza) but Im happy to keep im on as back up.

Fingers crossed hes fit for Spuds - lets hope we get him either upgraded or a back up soon.

Heres some stats for him that shows he hasn't been too bad.

C077NaaWEAAEln5.jpg:large

2 hours ago, lucio said:

him and cahill need to be out of our back 5 come the end of january, or we are in big trouble,

Would u put azpi has left wing back?? Both crosses that lead to the goals came from Alsono side if Azpilicueta was out on that left wing-back position against Eriksen he wouldn't have got the space to cross them balls 

7 minutes ago, the wes said:

Would u put azpi has left wing back?? Both crosses that lead to the goals came from Alsono side if Azpilicueta was out on that left wing-back position against Eriksen he wouldn't have got the space to cross them balls 

if we could put in zouma and a new cb then maybe.  but Azpi has been pretty good at cb, and we would lose the left footed bonus of having a proper lwb,

8 minutes ago, the wes said:

He's not good enough offensively to be a wingback

Amblève. and Peace. like this

9 minutes ago, the wes said:

Blaming Alonso for both goals would be kind on Matic and Cahill.

3 minutes ago, lucio said:

Azpi has been pretty good at cb, 

Dave outstanding Centre back when the ball played along the ground he's not great in the air which was showing last nite and teams will see that has a weakest

2 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

He's not good enough offensively to be a wingback

Really? I think that's his strength. Even yesterday he put in a few excellent crosses. It's his pace and defending that are subpar and not good enough against top sides.

He's passable against decent or poor sides where he isn't facing top quality wide players that can expose him.

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Really? I think that's his strength. Even yesterday he put in a few excellent crosses. It's his pace and defending that are subpar and not good enough against top sides.

He's passable against decent or poor sides where he isn't facing top quality wide players that can expose him.

I'm talking about Azpi, Wes asked if we should switch Azpi to LWB and I don't see it being a success

the wes likes this