Roberto Martinez: Belgium appoint ex-Everton manager as head coach

Ryan Fong

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Ryan Fong said:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/36971352

Seriously?! I don't want our Belgian boys being managed by this cnut!

Not much you can do about it though Ryan. :)

I watched a lot of Belgium in the run up to the last World Cup but very litle since. If the impresion I formed while watching them is still valid, assuming it ever was valid in the first place, then Belgium fans are about to loose a favoured excuse. Wilmots was, in my opinion, blamed for a lot more than was in fact his fault. Those things which were not the manager's fault won't automatically change because the man in the dugout has.

Not much you can do about it though Ryan. [emoji4]

I watched a lot of Belgium in the run up to the last World Cup but very litle since. If the impresion I formed while watching them is still valid, assuming it ever was valid in the first place, then Belgium fans are about to loose a favoured excuse. Wilmots was, in my opinion, blamed for a lot more than was in fact his fault. Those things which were not the manager's fault won't automatically change because the man in the dugout has.

Sadly I know. Just ranting. Let our Belgian members to share their opinions ;)

The only purpose Belgium should have is to find a way to win something with this hugely talented squad. And they go and sign a manager who hasn't won much at all. Surprised they couldn't find someone better.

Exactly, very disappointed appointment.

53 minutes ago, Bir_CFC said:

The only purpose Belgium should have is to find a way to win something with this hugely talented squad. And they go and sign a manager who hasn't won much at all. Surprised they couldn't find someone better.

We became one of the better teams in Europe (on paper), but we're still only Belgium

Belgian FA can't afford the wages a high profile name would demand

16 minutes ago, Weckerz said:

We became one of the better teams in Europe (on paper), but we're still only Belgium

Belgian FA can't afford the wages a high profile name would demand

Is that really why they went for Martinez? So they turned down someone? I would think they're probably making more money now than they ever have before considering the marketability of some the players and the team as a whole.

17 hours ago, Bir_CFC said:

Is that really why they went for Martinez? So they turned down someone? I would think they're probably making more money now than they ever have before considering the marketability of some the players and the team as a whole.

Nope, they actually lost millions, because sadly the board is not on the level of the players. Still a bunch of complete amateurs. I'm actually surprised they were able to get someone with PL experience. I was thinking they'd take some B-belgian trainer. 
The other guys on the list were Rudi Garcia and Dick Advocaat. The last one was practically impossible to sell since he dumped the team after 6 months five years ago.  What quality manager can you get with a 600.000 euro budget? Martinez is not too bad. At least he knows how to play decent attacking football. The problem was really that we were slow in the buildup, a defense of Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Kompany, Alderweireld is not problematic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2016 at 6:14 PM, Bir_CFC said:

I think this will actually work.

Belgium have a decent defence and as shown in his first season at Everton, if he leaves the defenders he inherits alone then not to big a problem.

Belgium need a coach who will get the best out of their crazily good attack, and on the budget they have, Roberto's probably the best appointment on balance.

With him in the stands last night I should think he went away happy with Eden at least. Shame he didn't see more of Bats but no doubt IF Lukaku comes he will want a season ticket and be wanting to make friends with Conte when he needs favors!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jason said:

Nearly a month on and I still can't believe Martinez got the Belgium job! Were there no one else interested in this?

I think its because as the Belgium members alluded too they can't afford to throw money at a big name.

Also as his first season at Everton showed, if Martinez leaves the defense alone and focuses on the attack, he can get some decent results, Wilmots couldn't get the best out of Hazard and KDB at international level, Martinez is someone who could.

If he leaves the defense as it is and doesn't try and make his own stamp on it, I can see this appointment working.