Riyad Mahrez

11 hours ago, Pizy said:

Rather have him than Lemar, tbh. Won't cost an astronomical fee and would need no settling in period at all as he's been excelling in the PL for a while now. On fire in recent games.

Not for me. Don’t think Mahrez is Chelsea level. Hes a half decent player who had his best and most consistent year 2 years ago and won’t improved much more, it took two managerial changes and moving him to a “free role” to get something consistently productive from him. He wouldn’t get that here. I’m not even sure he’s better than Willian or Pedro, other than that one year he’s not done much else to get excited about except maybe 5 games since they changed coach and his role. This adjusting to PL thing is not as big as before, particularly for attacking midfielders and wide players, Lemar is a good player, if we could get him for 40-60m it would be an excellent move that would pay itself off as he’d be a player who is good enough to play here for the next 10 years. Buying in January is difficult though, Mahrez could be seen as a more attainable fall back option but he is a worse player than Lemar.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along with Hazard and Coutinho, Mahrez is one of the 3 best on the ball in the league. Skips past players with ease. He's the sort of player we need on our right side. I think he would compliment Hazard brilliantly when we start with the 3-4-3. Imagine being a defending team and having to go against both of them. Our attack would be insanely dangerous. If we were playing 3-5-2 on another day Mahrez could come on against tired legs and completely tear teams apart.

Come on, it's gotta happen. Leicester to Chelsea connection is strong! Then we can bring in Vardy in the summer as our second striker. 😂

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Why do that? Will end up having the same situation as now. Decent first team options but no back ups.

Replacing Pedro and Willian for Mahrez and Lemar is a huge upgrade. Lemar wouldn’t be my first choice though. 

21 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Replacing Pedro and Willian for Mahrez and Lemar is a huge upgrade. Lemar wouldn’t be my first choice though. 

Honestly, we shouldn't be replacing them at all but rather adding to them. As Willian has shown this season, he's the perfect super sub or occasional starter. Whether or not he's happy with this role is another question. Pedro has always been a rotational player rather than a nailed on starter both here and at Barca so I'm sure he won't have any issues.

We need loads of top quality options like City and the other elite European sides have. If we truly had ambition and if Roman is seriously annoyed to see us miles off a title challenge we'd be adding rather than replacing.

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

This.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Honestly, we shouldn't be replacing them at all but rather adding to them. As Willian has shown this season, he's the perfect super sub or occasional starter. Whether or not he's happy with this role is another question. Pedro has always been a rotational player rather than a nailed on starter both here and at Barca so I'm sure he won't have any issues.

We need loads of top quality options like City and the other elite European sides have. If we truly had ambition and if Roman is seriously annoyed to see us miles off a title challenge we'd be adding rather than replacing.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Pedro has always been a rotational player rather than a nailed on starter both here and at Barca so I'm sure he won't have any issues.

Pedro...always...a...rotational player...Barca? That only happened after Guardiola left the club and he left them because he couldn't play week in week out.

7 hours ago, Pizy said:

As I said Lemar isn’t my first choice if we’re spending big money like that. Let’s say we add £20/30 mil on top of that and went for someone like Dybala. 

Mahrez is much better than Willian and Pedro imo. We should be selling these guys if opportunities rise. If you want to challenge City, we need to improve the overall quality of the squad and that includes our squad players as well. See Rüdiger for the sort of level our squad players should be on. 

@Jason^

12 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

As I said Lemar isn’t my first choice if we’re spending big money like that. Let’s say we add £20/30 mil on top of that and went for someone like Dybala. 

Mahrez is much better than Willian and Pedro imo. We should be selling these guys if opportunities rise. If you want to challenge City, we need to improve the overall quality of the squad and that includes our squad players as well. See Rüdiger for the sort of level our squad players should be on. 

@Jason^

If we have to sell them, then I would ditch Willian and keep Pedro. Think Willian has run his course at the club but not Pedro. Still think he, with his skill set, has something to offer this side.

On a different note, we'll be lucky to even have a deep quality in the squad like City. Our transfer businesses in the last couple of years have been to replace players rather than add onto them.

Well if not Mahrez, I hope we get someone of similar caliber or better.

If you saw Pep's reaction today to the Sanchez question, there are signs that they already have something lined up. Not that anything that City does matters much these days...

On 14/12/2017 at 9:06 PM, Jason said:

If we have to sell them, then I would ditch Willian and keep Pedro. Think Willian has run his course at the club but not Pedro. Still think he, with his skill set, has something to offer this side.

On a different note, we'll be lucky to even have a deep quality in the squad like City. Our transfer businesses in the last couple of years have been to replace players rather than add onto them.

Pedro is 31 at the end of this season, he needs to be replaced just as soon as Willian does imo. 

8 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Pedro is 31 at the end of this season, he needs to be replaced just as soon as Willian does imo. 

So? We have kept players over 30 in the past. Need experience as much as quality in the squad. Plus as alluded to earlier, it would be foolish to expect the board to buy players for first XI AND backups in the same transfer window.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

So? We have kept players over 30 in the past. Need experience as much as quality in the squad. Plus as alluded to earlier, it would be foolish to expect the board to buy players for first XI AND backups in the same transfer window.

Totally agree. Especially somebody like Pedro who has won the World Cup, European Championships, CL, Super Cup, Club World Cup, Premier League, La Liga, Copa Del Rey and whatever else. He is a serial winner.

The thing with olders players is that they are more likely to accept being squad players as opposed to young guys and players in their prime who don’t want to be sitting on the bench. Pedros game is not necessarily about relying on break neck speed either, he’s always been quick to a degree but not that quick, I think he’s more than good enough to be an excellent squad player option if he’s willing to take on the role. He always seems to have an impact of some sort too when he comes on. 

Don't know what people see in this guy. Star man at Leicester, yeah, but for a club like Chels... squad player at best.

In that role I'd personally prefer Zaha. Man goes hard for the full 90 min. And he can play.

Don't know what people see in this guy. Star man at Leicester, yeah, but for a club like Chels... squad player at best.
In that role I'd personally prefer Zaha. Man goes hard for the full 90 min. And he can play.
HG as well

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Same thing we said about guys like Ashley Cole and we’re still looking for a LWB now. Pedro and Willian should be upgraded on ASAP imo. 

Saying that, out of the two I’d definitely prefer if Pedro stayed. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You