The Conte Thread

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

But not with this team. It's an alien concept!

Can you imagine the destruction we would do with Diego and Lukaku together and a back spine of N'Golo-K2-Happy! Now I'd put us up against any team in Europe wuth that!

Hang on. I'm just counting my chickens!

45 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Can you imagine the destruction we would do with Diego and Lukaku together and a back spine of N'Golo-K2-Happy! Now I'd put us up against any team in Europe wuth that!

Lukaku is as smart as a dead squirrel.

11 hours ago, Unionjack said:

They're formed from the same metal, it would never work - if we could play Costa and a clone of Costa together we still wouldn't do it.

Batman supplements Costa in the same way Zoum Zoum (saw him in the box in the Shed on monday!) supplements JT.

14 minutes ago, CurlyHairLikeLuiz said:

They're formed from the same metal, it would never work - if we could play Costa and a clone of Costa together we still wouldn't do it.

Batman supplements Costa in the same way Zoum Zoum (saw him in the box in the Shed on monday!) supplements JT.

Maybe mate. But I'd still love to give it a bash.

You know the one thing that always bugs me a little is when people say he did poorly with that Juventus team he had. Okay, so I didn't follow them in the CL during his tenure, however, how good was that Juve side and should he have done better? At the end of the day, the CL is a tough competition to win and it's all about fortune in the draws too. Can someone enlighten me on this? Obviously winning the CL (once we get back into it, of course) would be a big aim for us while Conte is in charge at the club, so I just want to be assured that we will be able to challenge on all fronts under him. 

14 hours ago, Jason said:

The only time we appeared to have a genuine plan when changing formation to chase the win was in that home win against PSG 2 years ago.

And even then the tactics were to just lump the ball in the box and hope something materialises, Allardyce and Pulis would have been proud.

3 minutes ago, James said:

And even then the tactics were to just lump the ball in the box and hope something materialises, Allardyce and Pulis would have been proud.

You could say the same when Conte changed to a 4-4-2 on Monday. The approach might have been extremely basic but the key thing was we didn't panic and were calm enough to execute the plan.

1 hour ago, It's too big said:

You know the one thing that always bugs me a little is when people say he did poorly with that Juventus team he had. Okay, so I didn't follow them in the CL during his tenure, however, how good was that Juve side and should he have done better? At the end of the day, the CL is a tough competition to win and it's all about fortune in the draws too. Can someone enlighten me on this? Obviously winning the CL (once we get back into it, of course) would be a big aim for us while Conte is in charge at the club, so I just want to be assured that we will be able to challenge on all fronts under him. 

He had two CL campaigns, his second one he got knocked out of the group stage so should have done better but his first one he can't have any blame attached, he went to the quarter final and lost to Bayern Munich, no one was beating that Bayern team and the next round they smashed Barca 7-0. 

It's worth remembering Fergie was awful in cups until the mid 00's but then picked it up, i'm not saying Conte is going to be here 26 years or be as good but he at Juve seemed a bit similar mould, the league's the bread and butter, sort that out and the cup's will take care of themselves, which is what i like, i hate it when managers like Rafa (at Liverpool) and Carlo see the league as secondary to the CL, you could be steaking the success of you're season on one game, one moment even.

You can bet yer sweet bippy that conversation has already been n gone with Roman. He wants more than anything to get that bit of silver again and I bet its something Conte would kill for.

It wouldnt take us much IMHO to be in a position where we could go up against anyone and have a good chance but its getting those few players we desperately need. I dont think Roman would turn round and say Oh fuck that we dont need to replace such n such. Hes got to trust Conte to deliver and I think he does.

But my glass is always half full. I'll have a Guinness ta!

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

You could say the same when Conte changed to a 4-4-2 on Monday. The approach might have been extremely basic but the key thing was we didn't panic and were calm enough to execute the plan.

Not really, yes the goal came from a long ball to Batshuayi but that was really the only time we really went direct. Straight away when we changed to the 4-2-4 the wingers hugged the touchline to stretch the game and get crosses into the box, it just happens that Kante and Matic were struggling to play the ball out hence the reason we went direct for the goal. 

12 hours ago, James said:

Not really, yes the goal came from a long ball to Batshuayi but that was really the only time we really went direct. Straight away when we changed to the 4-2-4 the wingers hugged the touchline to stretch the game and get crosses into the box, it just happens that Kante and Matic were struggling to play the ball out hence the reason we went direct for the goal. 

But the overall plan was still basic and direct - go direct from back to front quickly or get the ball wide and put crosses into the box. We didn't really do that before we changed to 4-4-2.

In any case, it's good that we actually have a Plan B, a different approach to when things aren't working well, basic or not, and that we don't actually panic in executing the plan, unlike what we have seen in the past.

I truly hope we fail in our pursuit for a 3rd striker because no top team is playing with 2 9's. I know Conte favours workrate over technique first and foremost but he seriously doesn't believe we have enough creativity in our side right? If Hazard gets injured we are well & truly done for.

We've been linked with CB's & strikers all summer but not fullbacks, AM hybrids or wingers. Looks like we'll be the same exact team we've been for the last 3 seasons, a workmanlike side utterly reliant on one player.

the more strikers you have on the pitch, the more chances of scoring more goals if the other striker or strikers are struggling to score/scoring or having a bad day.

but I like these 2 formations ( 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 ) , but I don't know if it will suit the Chelsea players we have.