The Conte Thread

17 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Love his commitment, passion, and living every minute of the game. I have never seen a Chelsea manager so passionate.

Mustn't get too attached though, with our boards record he wont be around for long

so we need to enjoy every moment... :D

I watched only the second half but I loved how we spread out on the pitch when we had the ball, it even looked like the Bridge had a very large pitch. Westham had no sniff till the ghost freekick which led to the goal. 

Ladies and gentlemen we have a coach who instills a pattern of play that is visible on the pitch :)

But what about the midfield? Oscar-Matic?

Oscar is Oscar, a question mark that we've given up on, but maybe Conte didnt?

Matic have no place in the team when Kante is the single holding DM in this 4-1-4-1/4-3-3. He did well defensively but he's not a player you want in attacking areas, at all.

If Conte wont play Cesc as a starter because of his lack of energy, i wonder whats the plan. Surely we'll get another CM if thats the case.

He must push and push and push some more for just a couple more signings. He's tactically masterful and can motivate players like few others can, but we can't just trust that our back 4 will play like that all season.

Just give him a couple more and we can do this. We can definitely finish in the top 4 if we sign Koulibaly and maybe one other player.

19 minutes ago, nadavTKL said:

Matic have no place in the team when Kante is the single holding DM in this 4-1-4-1/4-3-3. He did well defensively but he's not a player you want in attacking areas, at all.

If Conte wont play Cesc as a starter because of his lack of energy, i wonder whats the plan. Surely we'll get another CM if thats the case.

That's what I'm curious about too. Matic did okay defensively today but offered naught going forward. Matic seemed to be playing a more conservative B2B role, maybe a deeper playmaker... compared to Oscar who was up and down each box all the time. The role seems tailor made for Oscar tbh. Not sure what role Matic was meant to play though. I could envision Fabregas doing well in that role (offensively, not defensively). It'll be interesting to see how this develops. 

Loved the celebration.

1 minute ago, The Skipper said:

That's what I'm curious about too. Matic did okay defensively today but offered naught going forward. Matic seemed to be playing a more conservative B2B role, maybe a deeper playmaker... compared to Oscar who was up and down each box all the time. The role seems tailor made for Oscar tbh. Not sure what role Matic was meant to play though. I could envision Fabregas doing well in that role (offensively, not defensively). It'll be interesting to see how this develops. 

Matic doesn't really seem to serve any purpose - defensively average (doesn't even use his size particularly well) and non-existent offensively. But then Fabregas is such an absolute liability defensively Matic is still able to get in the team ahead of him. Even the worst Premier League teams can and will look into exploiting the issues caused by Fabregas playing.

30 minutes ago, nadavTKL said:

6 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

If Mikel played the same role Matic did today, we probably wouldn't hear the end of it (from some) until next season. He'd get to live off a performance like that for another year.

10 minutes ago, Styles said:

Loved the celebration.

Matic doesn't really seem to serve any purpose - defensively average (doesn't even use his size particularly well) and non-existent offensively. But then Fabregas is such an absolute liability defensively Matic is still able to get in the team ahead of him. Even the worst Premier League teams can and will look into exploiting the issues caused by Fabregas playing.

I think Conte is waiting to get in defenders that can deal with or mask Fabregas' liability defensively before he plays Fab in that role. That makes sense to me anyway. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

First game of the season and he's already not afraid of making some big decisions!

- Dropped Fabregas, who's one of our only two main creative source in the team

- Took Hazard off when the game was at 1-1. Most, if not all the other managers wouldn't have taken the most important player off in that situation

- Played 2 strikers upfront, UPFRONT when we needed to chase the win. It was risky but refreshing to see that. Tired of seeing managers put 2 strikers in the XI, only to see them put one out wide

Two strikers for about 8 minutes plus injury time. We've seen that a zillion times haven't we?

While I was jumping up n down screaming like a school girlie I looked over to see that Conte was doing exactly the same thing!

And when he came out on the pitch and he spotted the cards made into the il Tricolore he looked into the crowd to I suppose his Mrs and pointed to it. So it must have brought a lump ro his throat.

Now I've not totally agreed with some of his team selections for tonight but I suppose thats why I'm not a footy manager. But I shouldn't think that he is fully sure of the players yet plus hopefully in his mind what new guys will do what and WHEN. But theres some good signs so I think we should keep him awhile.