The Conte Thread

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Did we reach our peak at Atletico? Because since then, we've been absolutely rubbish. To play badly and get dominated by Man City is one thing but to do that against Crystal Palace is another. The players should take responsibility as well but really want to know how did Conte prep them for the game? Did we actually underestimate Palace, thinking they are just gonna roll over after the thrashings at City and United? Did we not learn anything from the 2-1 loss last season? How on earth did we, time and time again especially in the first half, allow ourselves to be continuously countered by Palace? Everyone knows they have pacey players who are dangerous on the break and can do big damage if you leave them unchecked and we all know our players don't necessarily do too well against direct, pacey players - especially on 1 v 1 situations. Yet, we played ourselves into their hands far too often in that game. And offensively, what on earth was our plan? There was not much proper build up and we ended up just putting hopeful passes/crosses and shooting from distance. So easy for Palace to deal with. We played like a team that looks tactically ill-prepared. :doh:

I'm getting the feeling that Conte doesn't have a Plan B in case of injuries and this is part of the reason why he's getting found out.

He's never been known as a tactical mastermind like a Mourinho or a Pep, it's always been work hard & be disciplined on the pitch. 

Sometimes you need to think outside the box to get a result...as soon as I saw the lineup for the Palace match, I knew they were going to get at least 1 point out of the game. 

We'll be beaten again next week by Watford. 

6 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

He's never been known as a tactical mastermind like a Mourinho or a Pep, it's always been work hard & be disciplined on the pitch.

Are you really saying that Mourinho/Pep doesn't require hard work and discipline to carry out their tactics as well? In Mourinho's case, he's hardly any different to Conte. They're both pragmatic and if they have to play ugly to get a result, they'll do it.

10 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

I'm getting the feeling that Conte doesn't have a Plan B in case of injuries and this is part of the reason why he's getting found out.

It's 50-50. We saw earlier in August when we had all those injuries/suspensions, Conte adjusted and tweaked the system at Spurs. Sure, we were under the cosh for long periods in that game but we frustrated them and never gave the space where they tend to thrive in. Just not quite sure what you're gonna get IMO. One game we play well - like the performance at Atletico which came out of nowhere - and the next, we play like Sunderland. I know bad performances can happen but we seem to have brainfart ones when we least expect it.

15 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

@Pizy, you have a rival for Mr Pessimist here...

Just now, Jason said:

Are you really saying that Mourinho/Pep doesn't require hard work and discipline to carry out their tactics as well? In Mourinho's case, he's hardly any different to Conte. They're both pragmatic and if they have to play ugly to get a result, they'll do it.

It's 50-50. We saw earlier in August when we had all those injuries/suspensions, Conte adjusted and tweaked the system at Spurs. Sure, we were under the cosh for long periods in that game but we frustrated them and never gave the space where they tend to thrive in. Just not quite sure what you're gonna get IMO. One game we play well - like the performance at Atletico which came out of nowhere - and the next, we play like Sunderland. I know bad performances can happen but we seem to have brainfart ones when we least expect it.

@Pizy, you have a rival for Mr Pessimist here...

Would it shock you if Watford did beat us, though? I wouldn't be. 

Hahaha probably..though Watford are above us in the table and doing well so less of a shock if beat us or made life hard...or more likely if Chelsea play crap and make it harder..

Then again Palace until now been crap and this result wasn't shocking either.. Just not very good with constiency sometimes

Conte seems mad very mad in that press conference. 

I remember it was like that after the Arsenal loss last season. 

Can we see a repeat of some new ingenuity and massive turnaround? 

I don't think so but let's see and watch. 

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Sometimes you need to think outside the box to get a result...as soon as I saw the lineup for the Palace match, I knew they were going to get at least 1 point out of the game. 

I wouldn’t say Conte is getting found out or that he is not a tactical mastermind as you put it. The players were embarrassing today in all reality, Palace are 20th, they obviously thought it would be easy and it was anything but and even then the application from guys like Hazard, Willian, Batshuayi, Alonso, Moses in attacking situations was poor. Conte managed to take a team who looked disorganised and flat under Mourinho and Hiddink in a 4231 and also looked out of shape in a 433/4141 he used against Arsenal and Liverpool to Premier League champions in his first season using a 343 formation, which worked very well. Also if last season didn’t go as well as it did there would be no problems, like with players form, managers go through periods where they get lots of wins and runs where they get loses and draws. It is to be expected.

I think he showed with the way he set the team up against Atletico as well he is a very good tactician who can be adaptable and also against West Brom last season where they played with what looked like a back 6, Antonio changed it up and it worked but I don’t think Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho would be happy about the options as well as the profile of the players he has as back ups to the likes Ngolo Kante (Danny Drinkwater if he ever gets fit), Alvaro Morata (Michy Batshuayi) and Marcus Alonso (Kenedy). Like somebody said up there or maybe it was in another thread, we are two or three injuries away from looking an average team/squad and right now Morata and Kante, two of our most important players are out and if we lose Alonso then god knows what will happen as he is the only natural left sided defender/wing back in the squad because Kenedy is more of a forward (Azpi is better as a wide CB than as a wing back for me despite his performance today).

We are on a bit of a shit run, 2 defeats, 2 poor performances and another tough PL game is coming up against Watford after the CL game but if we come out of this next week with two wins everybody will be happy. 

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

It's hard to see a massive turnaround as he doesn't have any other options on the bench.

Apart from putting Luiz in midfield and Christensen at CB, I don't see massive changes. 

haven't watched the game yet (recorded), and not looking forward to it, but it was a bad starting XI IMO. One that gives a chance to the terrible side that Palace certainly is.

Yeah, why did he not put Luiz in midfield considering the abundance of defenders and nothing else in the squad?

He needs to drop a few individuals fast. Some players have been able to coast & kept their places due to results being positive but they no longer are.

He's needs to stop being the architect of his own downfall

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

Nothing will happen this season. The only thing CFC have right now are some good centre backs, a good GK, one top winger, one very good striker and a small centre midfielder who keeps our heads above water.

3 hours ago, Robguima said:

haven't watched the game yet (recorded), and not looking forward to it, but it was a bad starting XI IMO. One that gives a chance to the terrible side that Palace certainly is.

Yeah, why did he not put Luiz in midfield considering the abundance of defenders and nothing else in the squad?

Just delete your dvr recording, you will get angry the whole game.

IMO the starting 11 is fine. We all want Rudiger and Christensen to play over Cahill but we all know it is not happening soon. 

I think losing Kante really destabilize our midfield and without Morata we are really lacking in cutting edge especially because of how poor michy performance was. 

3 hours ago, communicate said:

Just delete your dvr recording, you will get angry the whole game.

IMO the starting 11 is fine. We all want Rudiger and Christensen to play over Cahill but we all know it is not happening soon. 

I think losing Kante really destabilize our midfield and without Morata we are really lacking in cutting edge especially because of how poor michy performance was. 

Heh sound advice, but too late now... :) It was really awful and palace did deserve the points tbf.

Partially disagree... United play with 10 men all the time with Lukaku strolling about too, but yeah Michy is unplayable (in a bad way :(). For me the midfield did not show: both Baka and Fabregas were just way too slow and immobile, which is indeed a stark contrast from what Kante does. Baka is really scaring me... even when he has a decent game, he is just too defensive and unskilled on the ball. It is just very difficult to play when you lose the midfield like we did today/yesterday. Defenders will take the blame as usual, but they were exposed all game, esp first half.

Thought Willian had a normal game - pretty much what he normally does, which is not much. :(

This team is mid table material... sorry to say it.

BTW, still think Luiz should've played in the middle and should always play in the middle until Drinkwater and/or Kante are back.

If things carry on no doubt end up the way always do...he'll get sacked. Temporary manager steps in..results still meh mostly. Summer...new manager.

He comes in and have a good season. Maybe win the league but it's clear need new players to strengthen areas.

Obviously that doesn't happen and results start being iffy..crisis meeting. Things carry on..sack and repeat.