test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

The Conte Thread

Started by Special Juan,

8,779 posts in this topic

One thing that was annoying during the Arsenal game - the set pieces. Is that Conte's instruction or players' decision on the spot to play it short? Sure, it can be a really surprising aspect during a game (there were some opportunities, but also some completely lost balls) but I would like to see more crosses being delivered into the box. Come on, there was Cahill, Luiz, Alonso, Morata and later on Bakayoko. All big boys, all a huge aereal threat and Fabregas kept combining with Willian by the corner flag or after a set-piece. Also, Arsenal is not really known for being the best defending team when it comes to set-pieces. Take advantage of the big boys.

Just now, milan.cech said:

One thing that was annoying during the Arsenal game - the set pieces. Is that Conte's instruction or players' decision on the spot to play it short? Sure, it can be a really surprising aspect during a game but I would like to more crosses being sent it to the box. Come on, there was Cahill, Luiz, Alonso, Morata and later on Bakayoko. All big boys, all a huge aereal threat and Fabregas kept combining with Willian by the corner flag or after a set-piece. Also, Arsenal is not really known for being the best defending team when it comes to set-pieces. Take advantage of the big boys.

I felt we had the right idea playing it short and at times only desperate last ditch Arsenal defending stopped us getting our reward. I watched the game with a few Arsenal fans all of which were complaining about how they kept getting duped by it and they were convinced it was going to cost them.

Furthermore Arsenal don't have Almunia, Vermaelen, Song and co anymore they instead have Cech, Kolasnic, Mustafi, Giroud they don't have the shame set piece chink they use to.

Amblève. likes this

25 minutes ago, milan.cech said:

One thing that was annoying during the Arsenal game - the set pieces. Is that Conte's instruction or players' decision on the spot to play it short? Sure, it can be a really surprising aspect during a game (there were some opportunities, but also some completely lost balls) but I would like to see more crosses being delivered into the box. Come on, there was Cahill, Luiz, Alonso, Morata and later on Bakayoko. All big boys, all a huge aereal threat and Fabregas kept combining with Willian by the corner flag or after a set-piece. Also, Arsenal is not really known for being the best defending team when it comes to set-pieces. Take advantage of the big boys.

The idea was fine. It's the execution of it that was infuriating.

Amblève. likes this

6 hours ago, xPetrCechx said:

Conte says our performance was good. He adds both teams tried to win and in the end it was a 'good draw'. #CHEARS

Conte says he doesn't like to comment on the referee, but it is important to note what happened before David Luiz's tackle. #CHEARS

Conte says getting five red cards in eight matches is 'strange'. He adds we need to keep improving in every situation. #CHEARS

Conte says he was very happy with Morata's performance today, stressing he linked play up well. #CHEARS

Conte says Pedro wasn't 100% fit after getting a knock to his ankle in the first half, and that's why he took him off at half-time. #CHEARS

Conte says we started the game well but suffered a little after that against what he calls a 'really strong team'. #CHEARS (Strong team against you maybe?) <_<

Conte: 'Hazard played very well. Now on Wednesday he will have the possibility to start the game and complete his recovery.' #CHEARS

Conte says he hopes to be 'more lucky' with the referee's decisions in the future, for us and the opponent. #CHEARS (Maybe try to calm you players first?)

No real contact with reality. Sounds just like an arrogant Jose would.

Very strange.

Styles likes this

He was bonkers today for one reason or another. Starting Cahill and Fabregas really got me hard. I was angry before the game even started when I saw those 2 in the starting line up. 

What feels like 3 points behind is actually 9. Anyone who points out it's only the beginning of the season need to look at United and City way above us and part of the blame should be send to Marina for her negotiating skills during the summer.

I'm annoyed at Conte for making Cahill walk back to the starting XI. This is something I expect from Wenger, not Conte.

Rudiger and Christensen are much better than Cahill but get shifted for the captain, who doesn't feel like a captain in the first place.

Then not using Bakayoko from the very beginning...sure he needs to gain more fitness but this is a game he can learn a lot more about how the PL works and gain experience! Ever since we brought on Bakayoko, Arsenal no longer had a field day.

If we aren't in the end not challenging for the title, this is one of the major reasons. Conte moaned for better players in the transfer window and he ain't even using them. Shaking my F'ing head.

Few points I would like to make about the team selection

1) Bakayoko might still not be in 90 min condition as he's only recovering from injury, which also cut his pre-season to bare minimum. Hopefully he will have reached full fitness come October.

2) There was no defensive midfield cover on the bench besides Bakayoko. If Baka starts and gets injured, who are you going to throw onto the pitch? Drinkwater is still injured, after all.

3) Zappacosta only played his first game for Chelsea on Tuesday and might not yet be in the right condition for Conte to start in a big match.

4) I'm trying to find reasons for starting Cahill but I can't come up with any. Rudiger should have started.

5) It's better to take Hazard's recovery with caution rather than rush him back to starting lineup. Expect him to start at Stoke though.

Although I'm disappointed with the team selection I understand Conte's decision-making for now (except Cahill) considering the circumstances. There's bunch of new signings, some who are only still recovering from injury, and Hazard who's almost but not quite ready for 90 min Premier League action. However, if Conte continues to play Fabregas in a two-man midfield in the following months, and continues to let Cahill into the starting lineup even when Rudiger seems like the better player, then I'm going to be truly disappointed.

kellzfresh likes this

This has to be the most humiliating defeat personally I've ever experienced at Stamford Bridge. And I've been actively supporting this club since 1997, the days of Zola, Poyet and Petrescu. I can't ever remember us looking so bad AND negative. For the 1st time and I'm totally disappointed in Conte and his approach. Even if we don't have the same level of technical players in our team, to try not to even press them is disgusting. 

Re: Conte and strange team selections.

Now that he's had to manage 17-18 players rather than the 13 that consistently played last season, Conte is yet to figure out how to manage the squad. I feel the squad can be rotated better. Particularly utilise Pedro, Zappacosta and Willian better. 

Also, tactically, teams know what to expect from Chelsea. I just get the feeling he needs to pull another ace out of somewhere or top 4 is the best the club could do this season