test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

The Conte Thread

Started by Special Juan,

8,780 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who thinks the club have some sort of mandate in place on transfer fees? We haven't gone over 33m since the Torres move in january 2011.

Sorry, but there is CLEARLY some tension between Conte and the board. This summer is looking so much like 2 years ago its scary

Chelsea? likes this

Well I think last year was our last hurrah. 

Because we are not going to get anywhere good with the incompetent of this board. 

22 minutes ago, lucashm said:

Sorry, but there is CLEARLY some tension between Conte and the board. This summer is looking so much like 2 years ago its scary

the last two summers really.

Such a shame too, to my amateur eyes an investment of around 180m would be enough to lock us in as a top 4 team in Europe... I know it sounds daft 180m but one marquee signing, a couple of 40m players and one for the future and I think we can take a run at Europe. If we keep with this trajectory City, Tots and Utd will see themselves clear... 

Fernando likes this

Just now, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Such a shame too, to my amateur eyes an investment of around 180m would be enough to lock us in as a top 4 team in Europe... I know it sounds daft 180m but one marquee signing, a couple of 40m players and one for the future and I think we can take a run at Europe. If we keep with this trajectory City, Tots and Utd will see themselves clear... 

I mean, im pretty nervous too, but the summer is on its early stages still, all we can do is hope really. I am not very confident though

4 minutes ago, lucashm said:

I mean, im pretty nervous too, but the summer is on its early stages still, all we can do is hope really. I am not very confident though

Yes the summer is in early stages but our track record hasn't been anywhere near good when it comes to signing a marquee player. That's the main point of frustration... Costa and Fabregas came off the backs of player sales not a huge investment from the owner. Every time our name gets mentioned with a marquee target we lose out... And now if the rumours are true, the manager is just as frustrated.

39 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Yes the summer is in early stages but our track record hasn't been anywhere near good when it comes to signing a marquee player. That's the main point of frustration... Costa and Fabregas came off the backs of player sales not a huge investment from the owner. Every time our name gets mentioned with a marquee target we lose out... And now if the rumours are true, the manager is just as frustrated.

The thing is, I know you know most of these stories are put out there by agents acting for player or selling club, yet you let yourself react to them. Hold it together man, we've got to get you through the summer in one piece. Somehow. :)

Chelsea Legend 11 likes this

I mean Conte can't think he can run the club but we do need to pay the 90m for Lukaku, it's fair enough. 

7 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

The thing is, I know you know most of these stories are put out there by agents acting for player or selling club, yet you let yourself react to them. Hold it together man, we've got to get you through the summer in one piece. Somehow. :)

I'm cool. Win or lose i'm always cool. You have to admit though with the rise in transfer fees and the amount of money being generated it is a bit alarming that the most Chelsea have spent on any one transfer was Torres in 2011.

20 minutes ago, Peace. said:

I do not think it is the case. Actually, the problem would not be that we have a "mandat" which would prevent us to exceed a certain amount of money — but in reality would be a problem of strategy/tactic, both in how we are conducting negotiotions and the players we aim.

Evidences lead me to believe that this state of affair is due to a series of reasons such as :

1. Trying to be smart arse — which leads the negotiations to be dragged on forever. We start with very low bids and only increase it by a few pounds each time. At the end, when we finally make a sensible bid, it is simply too late because : (i) the mercato has ended ; (ii) it is too late in the window for the "selling" club to find any replacement ; (iii) or because they have already sold too many "key" players ; (iv) the "selling" club, and more importantly, the aimed player, are getting bored and frustrated (when you do not know whether the club that wants to buy you will one day make a suitable bid for you, it is hard as a player to put pressure on your board to be sold). We have examples such as Modric and Coulibaly. Had we bid, in 2011 (?), £40m at the start of the window, Tottenham would have had time to find a good replacement for him and maybe Modric, seeing our heavy interest, would have been more vocal about is desire to leave (and thus "forcing" the hand of Levy). Instead, we waited the last days to make this offer while it was very clear it was not happening.... The same goes for Coulibaly. Had we bid £50m at the start of the transfert window and before they sold Higuain to the Juventus, we would have likely had more chance to sign him.
  2. Another consequence of this is that we can absolutely not participate to a bidding war... which make us unable to sign a great number of players.
  3. Aiming at the wrong player at the wrong time — for instance, Pogba. We made an offer to the Juve quite similar to the one made by United the following year, yet it did not work, simply because they would not sell him as they had already lost too many key players. Quite generally, we seem obstinate to aim at players who are not available, yet when they are, we are no longer interested. We have spent summer(s) — and more — to pursue players such as Modric, Coulibaly, Pogba, Aguero etc... when it was pretty clear they were unavailable — and when they were, we were nowhere to be seen.

So yeah, I do not think the problem is the amount of money we can spend but how we inted to spend it that is the problem. At the end of the day, we have to revisit radically our transfer policies. They have never been good, but back in the days, 25 million pounds could buy you great players — not today. We need coherence and continuity (i.e. courting Aguero for five years only to buy Torres when he was finally available) ; and most importantly. we need to understand that buying three average players for £30m does not equal buying a great player at £90m...

I'm sure that plays some role though I doubt its all down to it. I mean why is it that whenever a bid goes north of 35m we never complete it? I get it, larger deals take longer to complete but this is strange, we're not the only team to stall on big deals but strangely we're the only one not to complete one.

I think there is a clear disagreement between Conte and the Board regarding transfer targets...IMO Conte wants Lukaku and Bakayoko.... and whoever is incharge of transfers i.e. Marina or Emenalo disagrees with him on pursuing wrong player or player at ridiculous price(see lukaku at 100 Million)

There is one certain thing at this club, is that managers don't get backed up no matter what they do. The reason we haven't been able to build a strong squad since the first core of Abramovic's era is lack of planification and signings at key moments.

After Ancelotti won the league in 2010 and some serious signs of decline among the squad were visible. Rather than invest in fresh blood to slowly replace the old core, the board probably judged that the team was good enough. The following season the team is struggling and we're obliged to make huge signings in January (Torres, Luiz) to try and catch our rivals. Panic buys, not planified.

Mourinho wins the league in 2015 with a decent squad and a very old backline,  already at the time we could see the limits of that team both domestically and in europe. In the summer, the board probably judges the team is good enough to compete again and we face the inevitable as we finish 10th in the league next season. Pedro was signed very late in the window after poor results. Top 4 was gone by January and so was the manager thus no further acquisition was made.

Now Conte wins the league and history is repeating itself as he is facing the same fate as those before him.

Fernando, manpe and Dahnald like this