test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

The Conte Thread

Started by Special Juan,

8,779 posts in this topic
57 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

Think a lot of what you said is simply a consequence of teams sitting deep against us now. 

1. It's a lot more difficult to dribble in the box when there's 10 players behind the ball. I disagree though that he's stopped trying to dribble into the box. He was cynically fouled twice against Palace otherwise he would have gotten into the box in a good scoring position.

2. Again i think that's just about the numbers teams have put behind the ball.(and the lack of quality on the ball from our back 3 and 2 holding midfielders.) The more players the less space you have to put the ball through.

Same with switching play to the wingbacks. There's less space out wide then before so switching play is more difficult as the ball needs to be more accurate to make it.

I think that's why our players are taking more touches they feel the pass is to difficult too pull off so they're looking for easy passes.

3. Yeah, i agree Moses is definitely feeling tired. We really need some squad depth in the wingback positions.

4. Disagree we are still pressing it's just that the likes of West Bromwich, Sunderland and Palace don't really care. They're more then happy to kick it long so out pressing is simply less effective against teams that play the long ball.

Don't think changing formations is really gonna help. It's the personnel that's the issue. In a 3-5-2 we're still playing with the same back three, Kante and Matic. 

Personally i'd just stick Fabregas in for Matic and play the same 3-4-3. 

I know hazard has less space than before, but he at least used to go to the right wing, combine with Pedro, cause overloads on the right wing and the person on the left side will find it difficult to follow hazard all the way to the right. He doesn't switch as much as before, I noticed this since the international break and it's been the same. Without hazard on song our gameplay can never be as good because costa is our only other world-class attacker.

I agree that the quality of our players on the ball has restricted our passing quality in tighter spaces. Especially as Cahill is allowed more time on the ball than anyone else. But the wide centerbacks should step into midfield more often because it will cause overloads or add an extra body in midfield which let's Azpi have a chance to deliver assists like he did for Costa. Cahill is a dunce in passing and restricts this. We definitely need better personnel to help with this. 

I agree that teams are going long to try and bypass our pressing but still our tiredness has restricted our pressing imo. We don't maintain pressure or intensity on the opponent like before. If we keep on probing, winning the ball high up the pitch, attack again immediately . But now we get a chance and sit back for 5-10 mins before we push again. It's tiredness. 

The reason that I suggested the formation change is that teams are studying our weaknesses, either by overloading players on Alonso's wing like mancity did, or overloading players on Moses wing like tottenham did, or defending with 6-3-1 formation like westbrom, or going long like Middlesbrough. Now we need to surprise them sometimes, instead of coming out with a 3-4-3 which they expected to see, we change to a 3-5-2 which allows an extra man in midfield to cover overloads on our flanks and have fabregas quickly release costa and hazard. I agree that the personnel is a problem too but unless we're buying quality (Verratti, kurzawa, mendy, dybala) in this window to improve our players to play the formation better, we might have to make some surprises to disrupt people's game-plan against us

Im just imagining what Conte could bring us if Roman gave him an open cheque book to dominate Europe.

20 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

3. Tiredness has set in and Moses has lost form. The whole team is looking a bit tired but we used to have a dribbler on the right wing in Moses causing havoc and stretching play, leaving more space for Pedro to make runs behind unnoticed. When Hazard is the only dribbler that is successful in going past players in the starting 11, it is a problem. When we first changed formation, Moses was winning man of the match awards consistently and was a thorn in the opponents flesh. 

Yes I also felt that Moses has lost his form/aggressiveness he had at the start of the winning streak. I can't believe with just PL to focus on our players are fatigued. This is exactly why we need squad depth.

kellzfresh and Supermonkey92 like this

10 hours ago, iceboy said:

The last man to do this was Carlo. Is it coincidence that two of the classiest and beloved managers were Italian (you can count Di Matteo too, so that makes it three).

This quote just sumps it up:

The results have been spectacular. The cliques have been dismantled, the players and staff trust each other again and, crucially, the team is more important than any individual.

Fernando likes this

Need new/more players in the January. Even though we won last 3 games, some lads are losing their form. Like some say here Moses: was never really that impressed with him and I reckon you this: he won't be in the squad next year if Conte gets his hands on a better RWB.
Also, Hazard. For 3 games done absolutely nothing. Some were crying here we won't be anywhere if he lose Hazard. Shit. You mean when we lose Diego.

Fear this might break us up.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Supermonkey92 likes this

20 hours ago, the wes said:

LOL. Leave Conte out of this shits, one of the classiest guys around. (Title is misleading, of course, there was no dig.)

Tautvix likes this

29 minutes ago, BoyBlue96 said:

Need new/more players in the January. Even though we won last 3 games, some lads are losing their form. Like some say here Moses: was never really that impressed with him and I reckon you this: he won't be in the squad next year if Conte gets his hands on a better RWB.
Also, Hazard. For 3 games done absolutely nothing. Some were crying here we won't be anywhere if he lose Hazard. Shit. You mean when we lose Diego.

Fear this might break us up.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Seriously? Are you sure you're getting live streams and not watching re-runs of last season 😂😂😂

I feel sorry for you - you cannot even enjoy the situation this season compared to last season. Top 4 is our aim and we are on track. 

Hazard has been immense - who do you think creates all the space for Diego to run into? That's right the 2-3 people marking Hazard :)

I get it's the new 'in-thing' to rubbish everything- but seriously dude - have a word with yourself... 

bluephoenix likes this

Has anybody considered only playing once per week is hurting the players form?

Training vs Match is very different... 

Seriously? Are you sure you're getting live streams and not watching re-runs of last season
I feel sorry for you - you cannot even enjoy the situation this season compared to last season. Top 4 is our aim and we are on track. 
Hazard has been immense - who do you think creates all the space for Diego to run into? That's right the 2-3 people marking Hazard
I get it's the new 'in-thing' to rubbish everything- but seriously dude - have a word with yourself... 

Our squad depth is poor mate. Of course I'm happy we're doing so extremely well. Never expected Conte and our current squad of players to perform so well, but we played better some weeks ago, but doesn't matter because we're still winning our matches so and yeah it won't be a party every single match with Hazard-hattricks and stuff.
As for Eden, so far he's still doing very well so I'm not marking him. Just pointing out he didn't turn up against WBA and Crystal Palace imo.
Just need some extra players in jan and also Kenedy back as wingback and we're fine.

Yes, top 4 is still the aim and I couldn't wish for a better Chelsea at the moment. We look superb and that is all thanks to The Magnificent One: Conte.
Muzchap likes this

To me, it's nice to feel again that anything under 2nd place is a complete disaster. I can stomach 1 dodgy team winning over us, at times, but never more than 1, it makes me feel like an Arsenal supporter.