Kante

Oscar/Cesc     Matic/Cesc

Willian                                                     Hazard

Costa       Batshuayi

Subs: Begovic, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Cesc, Moses, Pedro, RLC

Reserves: Eduardo, Alonso, Ivanovic, Mikel, Chalobah, Aina

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Now this was conte's original intent for our team last year but he decided against it. We also switch to a 424 whenever things get tight. 

Bluelyon made a point in another thread about us only targeting a LWB when we need a RWB more. In a 424 we can play Azpi at RB. 

Azpi-Luiz-NewCB-Sandro?

Bakayoko-Kante 

Willian-Pedro-Lukaku-Eden

this would also be a good solution to us conceding so many goals later last year. 

Finally, Willian seems to want to stay all of the sudden when it seemed he'd be out this year. 

If we can't even control games from midfield with a 2-man midfield (plus extra security in defence), what makes you think we will do that with 4-2-4?

People seem so obsessed about Conte wanting to play 4-2-4. He may have wanted to play that when he came here but it's not his default formation and he's not desperate to play it. It's only an option and as he mentioned before, he will play a formation that the players are comfortable with.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Most people want 343 in most matches now. However, next season and beyond, to compete in PL and UCL, should our main formation be 343 or 352? 343 would give us much more attacking width. However, against big UCL Teams, we could be outnumbered in midfield. We could be flexible and use both throughout the season? However, what sysyem should be utilised most, and why? I'd go 343, but being outnumbered in midfield in big games is a worry for me.

I think if we had a proper solid partner for Kante a 343 sems to work best with us.

But it needs the forwards to be up for it because when they roam around swapping about the defenders are not able to stick to their pre worked ideas as Eden is double marked alot.

I would always say 343 is better, Hazard can not do it all alone in terms of creativity up front and when Morata struggles to score you need another goal threat. Also I think loading the midfield with bodies to compensate for alonso/baka/cescs lack of defensive workrate/positional awareness is a negative and Mourinhoesque kind of tinkering and will not work against sides with superior passing game. The key position in a 3man defence system are the fullbacks. When those do their job there is no need for more than two competent, balanced central midfielders.

• 3 weeks later...