Tactics/Formations thread

Parky

• 2 weeks later...

Thierry Henry does not know who will play for Chelsea next season but the Frenchman claims it’s ‘almost certain’ he knows what formation incoming boss, Antonio Conte, will be using: 3-5-2.
http://www.squawka.com/news/henry-expects-conte-to-bring-3-5-2-to-the-premier-league/640621#kiw54dt4uTb33A95.99

WE will not play 3-5-2, stop obsessing about it. 

Conte only played 3-5-2 because it was the formation that suited Juventus's players. The reason he left Juventus is he wanted to buy wingers to change  formation. 

The fact that he favours 3-5-2 is a myth

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/serie-a-showcase/conte-2/

I would guess he would either go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

1 hour ago, kiwi1691 said:

WE will not play 3-5-2, stop obsessing about it. 

Conte only played 3-5-2 because it was the formation that suited Juventus's players. The reason he left Juventus is he wanted to buy wingers to change  formation. 

The fact that he favours 3-5-2 is a myth

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/serie-a-showcase/conte-2/

I would guess he would either go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

4-3-3 makes the most sense to me.  Only 2 CB's needed which is good since we currently lack quality cb's. 3 man midfield to compensate for Fabregas. Use of wingers (Hazard &Willian). Only uses 1 striker which is good as we only really have Costa.

Can't see Conte playing a 4-4-2 (4-2-4). Just wouldn't work with Fabregas as 1 of the 2 midfielders. In order for a formation like that to work both midfielders would need to be hardworking energetic players, like Vidal, Nainggolan, Marchisio,...

Also we lack depth in the striker departement to play a 2 striker system.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, the wes said:

The mirror reporting that Conte will use the formation 4-2-4 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-chelseas-summer-transfer-targets-7795975

If i remember corectly he wanted to use the same formation at Juve, but he had right players for 3-5-2

1 hour ago, MefiX19 said:

If i remember corectly he wanted to use the same formation at Juve, but he had right players for 3-5-2

Though he left, because they wouldn't buy him a winger to change to a 4-3-3 I believe. 

9 hours ago, MefiX19 said:

Conte use to play 4-2-4 formation with bari Fuck knows what formation he's going to use I hope it's 4-3-3 formation

• 2 months later...

so far this is how I see our squad lineup at the moment. we will struggle all season long and I just see don't see things improving until we make at least another 3 to 4 changes before the september window closes.

this is my formation lineup

and all the players on the side for season subs changes.

CHELSEA FC - 2016-2017 - FIRST TEAM SQUAD PLAYERS.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 4-7-2016 at 10:42 AM, Chelsea_firstlove said:

Untitled.png

I don't think that's such a good formation... With Kenedy and Willian we have pace on the sides and we have width, but against any decent opposition I'm afraid we'd always lose the battle for midfield with Hazard not doing much defensive work and two forwards. We'd have a very offensive line-up but with only three defenders (and Willian and Kenedy helping in defense as fullbacks as well) we'd have to pick the ball out of our own net too often I'm afraid. Plus we haven't got Bonucci. And allthough I'm curious as to how we'd do with a 3-5-2 I'm afraid Conte won't play one and stick with the 4-2-4.

20 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

That's pretty much what I think our best formation is.  I haven't loved what (limited) I've seen of the 424.  I don't think we have the players for a 2 man CM.

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 3.36.14 PM.png

This is very solid in defense and we would not concede many goals. We have a slow back three (apart from Zouma) and with a defensive midfield (not only Matic as DM but also Kante as btb) plus Dave as fullback and Willian who allthough a winger does do his defensive duties I can see this defense work. However, the offense isn't good, I'm afraid. With Fabregas feeding balls to Hazard and Costa we'd have some creativity but everything is going through the middle and there's no width. And we know Dave is terrible offensively (although I like the guy)...

I think, with the players we currently have, our best line-up (in the 4-2-4 Conte will play) is something like:

Schermafbeelding 2016-08-02 om 01.51.28.png

And if we need more goals then get Pedro off, move Hazard to his position, and put Michy Batman on (or in case Pedro is performing well and willian isn't, get willian of for Bats and move Hazard to Willian's position).

Allthough that defence needs fixing. I'd welcome 1 CB and 1 FB, preferably a LB, so Azpi can take Iva's position and Terry can be a sup.

We'd have a good bench as well, Matic for CM, Cuadrado/Kenedy for wingers, Michy/Remy for striker or second striker, Terry/Cahill for CB and Iva for FB. And Begovic for GK of course.

11 hours ago, Hostedenis said:

I don't think that's such a good formation... With Kenedy and Willian we have pace on the sides and we have width, but against any decent opposition I'm afraid we'd always lose the battle for midfield with Hazard not doing much defensive work and two forwards. We'd have a very offensive line-up but with only three defenders (and Willian and Kenedy helping in defense as fullbacks as well) we'd have to pick the ball out of our own net too often I'm afraid. Plus we haven't got Bonucci. And allthough I'm curious as to how we'd do with a 3-5-2 I'm afraid Conte won't play one and stick with the 4-2-4.

This is very solid in defense and we would not concede many goals. We have a slow back three (apart from Zouma) and with a defensive midfield (not only Matic as DM but also Kante as btb) plus Dave as fullback and Willian who allthough a winger does do his defensive duties I can see this defense work. However, the offense isn't good, I'm afraid. With Fabregas feeding balls to Hazard and Costa we'd have some creativity but everything is going through the middle and there's no width. And we know Dave is terrible offensively (although I like the guy)...

I think, with the players we currently have, our best line-up (in the 4-2-4 Conte will play) is something like:

Schermafbeelding 2016-08-02 om 01.51.28.png

And if we need more goals then get Pedro off, move Hazard to his position, and put Michy Batman on (or in case Pedro is performing well and willian isn't, get willian of for Pedro and move Hazard to Willian's position).

Allthough that defence needs fixing. I'd welcome 1 CB and 1 FB, preferably a LB, so Azpi can take Iva's position and Terry can be a sup.

We'd have a good bench as well, Matic for CM, Cuadrado/Kenedy for wingers, Michy/Remy for striker or second striker, Terry/Cahill for CB and Iva for FB. And Begovic for GK of course.

I feel the problem with Hazard and Fab in this formation is:

- Hazard wouldnt have any space to do his thing which is his USP ... Opposition will just put 2 or 3 players to crowd him out (it can also work for us by having gaps but i feel the defenders in the PL are smart)

- Fab in the center with Hazard in the middle as well means it will be too much work for Kante to hold the middle. We need a engine along side Kante who can work up and down. Naigolan would had been a great partner. 

After watching the AC milan game live and again today my best guess for our starting xi against west ham is this:

Courtois

ivanovic cahill terry azpi (pains me to write this but unless we buy someone new what can we do)

Kante(should never ever ever ever ever ever be subbed off)

willian(cuad) fabregas(oscar) matic(chalobah) hazard(moses)

Costa(Bats/Traore)

I think conte hasnt found the solid strike partnership that he wants, during the AC game when we ran this formation we obviously took over the game. Azpi was pressing aggressively all over with kante covering and we looked great. I would prefer chalobah but i think matic is getting the nod as the B2B/high press man covering hazard so he can play freely and attack. I am hopeful this can unlock fabregas a little bit as he has basically no defensive duties surrounded by willian matic and kante. 

My in game subs would probably be oscar for fab, chalobah for matic, bats for costa

I pray we buy a proper LB or RB and CB (ideally mustafi/koulibaly, and Ricardo Rodriguez/slide azpi back to RB)

• 4 weeks later...