Tactics/Formations thread

Parky

58 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I heard a couple of rumours that he wanted to try it and bring Andreas and Cuadrado back for that reason, furthermore even if he never once uses it here, what's wrong with discussion it in a hypothetical sense? Transfers that never happen are discussed all the time, why can't the same be done for formations?

Chill man, never meant to sound like I'd blame someone for not reading what others post. It's just that Conte himself said that the 3-5-2 days are over. I find it hard to believe that he'd start his Chelsea revolution by using one tactic in particular that he is fed up with.

4 minutes ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Chill man, never meant to sound like I'd blame someone for not reading what others post. It's just that Conte himself said that the 3-5-2 days are over. I find it hard to believe that he'd start his Chelsea revolution by using one tactic in particular that he is fed up with.

Maybe he said so to swerve other managers? Half the things Jose discussed tactically were fibs (Never play Luiz in midfield).

Or he could 100%mean what he said and we will never play that formation for Chelsea, time will tell.

So, the season is over as early as march, now the hot topic is which formation a manager that is not even appointed yet will use...transfer window closed, that probably mean the next months are going to be pretty boring.

From everything I've read about Conte, it seems that he picks the formation depending on the talent at his disposal.  Not, the other way around.

Also, he fell out with the board because he wanted some wingers, but they wouldn't back him in the market.  He wanted to use a 433.  Don't remember where I read that.  You can correct me if I'm wrong.

On 17/03/2016 at 2:03 AM, Blue_Fox_ said:

If we play 3-5-2 with the current team.

Tibo(Bego)
    Azpi-Terry(Cahill)-Zouma(Ivanovic)
Willian(Pedro)-Fabregas-Baba(Kenedy)
         Matic-Mikel(Rlc)
       Costa-Hazard(Traoré)

And that would be insanely, insanely, out of this world, grotesquely bad. That team would get slaugthered.

But. We're not going to play this system. We're going to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. 4-4-2 it's the system Italy is playing right now.

For some reason I've only just seen this post.

Yes with the current bunch it's a non starter, but if Conte came in signed Bonnuci, recalled  Christensen, Cuadrado and Ake and got two solid CMs, all off a sudden we look better equipped.

I would personally like it if Conte switched formations depending on opposition, the wing back formation can be pretty effective against teams that use no width but against say Spurs it will be problem.

i hope conte picks between 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 formation i hate that 3-5-2 formation it doesn't work in the PL FULL STOP

or even stick with the 4-2-3-1 formation and buy james or isco to play the number 10 role 

On 3/18/2016 at 3:10 AM, Henrique said:

So, the season is over as early as march, now the hot topic is which formation a manager that is not even appointed yet will use...transfer window closed, that probably mean the next months are going to be pretty boring.

Its only boring if you don't log in to post, Henrique :P

On 11/03/2016 at 7:41 AM, ZeshWong said:

This is how I would make use of our current squad. Ideally we would already have Stones and Varane at our disposal, they are here to improve the agility and speed of our defense.

The problem with our current squad is more of mentality and morale issue. After a disastrous beginning of the season and having a vulnerable defense most of the time, most seems to lose their appetite to play in a high level.

We were used to be unbeatable, bear the spirit of steel. Now our players seem to embrace the underdog title. None of the elite clubs are consistent this season to be fair, and the issue I see is all are without a dominant defense strength.

In the past years, Chelsea forged that Maginot Line under captain JT, Manchester United under Vidic and Ferdinand, Manchester City under Kompany, Arsenal under Sol Campbell (sorry IMO Liverpool is missing a little to qualify), ACM under Maldini and Nesta, Juve under Cannavaro, Barca under Pique and Puyol. They are the foundation of all these past champions.

Of course they were helped by effective DM like Makelele, Keane, Viera and so on.

Last season, the combination of JT, Cahill, Matic worked well. This season, the partnership is crippled by aging and fatigue.

So my focus would be rebuilding a dominant defense power, featuring the young Stones, Zouma, Varane, Azp. and led by the experienced veteran Cahill. This line should possess enough strength, speed, talent and passion to be the new almighty shield. Once we got a reliable defense, our talented attackers and Fabregas should be able to refocus on winning the game, rather than much distracted like this season.

Costa is our new Drogba/Aguero/Ibrahimovic. Oscar can be groomed to be our Modric/Iniesta. Hazard is our Ronaldo/Bale/Messi. Fabregas is our Xavi. We certainly have enough talent in our attacking force. And then Courtois will be our new Cech/Casillas/Buffon/De Gea for sure.

Under the same formation, if Isco is available in the next transfer window, I will get him to compete with Oscar. It's good to have Lukaku back, problem is he's not gonna sit on the bench for long yet it doesn't make sense to sacrifice Costa for him. So I don't see him coming back to Bridge anytime soon. Kenedy is just a temporary patch on the defense, but he is more of an attacker. We have yet to see Pato in action, however should he be able to recover his best form, he's going to be a killer inside forward. Cuadrado might still be a hidden gem, IMO it's still too early to write him off. And it's always good to have Pogba, but we have to be realistic considering we are not playing in the CL next season.

Side note: I am a long time Football Manager player, by no means I am a football professional. This formation is very effective in FM, whether it's going to work in real life is beyond me to discuss.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Implementing a formation because it works in a computer game? Thank Christ you're not the manager.

18 hours ago, BlueLion said:

3-4-2-1 is just outrageously Italian, isn't it? Would turn us into defensive juggernauts again. 

Don't see it happening. Conte's smart, he'll trial 3 at the back in periodic ways.. To try from the off, while ballsy, would be dangerous. Especially with player not used to it. 

Preseason will be a determining factor. Looks like that Champions Cup thing might be a bit more popular than last year..

5 hours ago, LDN Blue said:

Don't see it happening. Conte's smart, he'll trial 3 at the back in periodic ways.. To try from the off, while ballsy, would be dangerous. Especially with player not used to it. 

Preseason will be a determining factor. Looks like that Champions Cup thing might be a bit more popular than last year..

Why not? When we attack, we're basically playing that exact formation anyway:

Courtois

Cahill - Covering CDM,i.e. Mikel - Terry

Ivanovic - the deeper of the AMs, i.e. Oscar - Fabregas - Azpilicueta

Willian - Hazard 

Costa

I can't see us playing 3 at the back, honestly.

Unfortunately this season unless they are young players, we will be unable to buy much world class talent without champion's league football.

I expect that we will mostly stick; maybe if Vidal really wants to come . Maybe bring a few loanees such as Ake in, and actually play RLC.

Have to say I actually prefer Dave on the left; but with the departure of Eden inevitable in my opinion, Kenedy's overlaps there are of great value. Ake should go in the engine room, CDM.

For me, Costa stays. He loves it here and I'm not having it that he wants out.

Begovic

Dave  Zouma  Terry  Kenedy

Fabregas

Mikel        Ake

Traore                  Willian

Costa

I'm personally not on the bring-Christensen-back brigade just yet - unless it's for Cahill, because Terry is not ready to go yet, and if the rumours are to be believed, that's surely what the new boss will think come June.