test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OhForAGreavsie

FA Youth Cup thread

Started by OhForAGreavsie,

48 posts in this topic

Chelsea are continuing their pursuit of a sixth FA Youth Cup Final appearance in seven years and, hopefully, a fifth win in that period. Our under 18s are currently playing away to Manchester United in a fourth round tie. We lead 1-0 through a headed goal from Ike Ugbo. Ike nodded home after the keeper had just managed to keep out the original headed effort from Tammy Abraham. Brilliant run and cross from Jay Dasilva set the goal up.

7:52pm Now 0-2. Brilliant take turn and finish from Tammy Abraham. The lads deserve to be more than 2 up. They've been good. In fact I've never seen Kyle Scott play better and Charlie Wakefield is on top of his game too. Many other good performances which could also be mentioned. Half-time.

9:00pm 1-5 United briefly and undeservedly pulled it back to 1-2, but an immediate third from Mason Mount, a beautiful chipped fourth from the outstanding Jay Dasilva and a tap in from Mukhtar Ali have made the score a more accurate reflection of the game. We've been miles better than them.

Full time. AFC Wimbledon away in the 5th round. If they play it at Kingstonian I'll be there.

Stats, guddy6969 and The Skipper like this

The lads progressed to the club's 7th successive Youth Cup semi-final last night. They beat Reading 2-1 in a bizarre but entertaining game at The Bridge.

We were quite poor for the opening 20 minutes during which Reading were definitely the better side but we gradually got into the game and, by the time we took the lead on about 35 minutes it had been coming. We looked to be cruising when we moved two up and seemed certain to add a 3rd but Reading pulled one back late to add a bit of tension. Their goal came following a penalty which they missed. The spot kick hit the bar and was eventually forced out for a corner from which they scored. That was the second of three missed penalties in the game. Tammy Abraham had had his effort well saved earlier and gave way to Mukhtar Ali to take our second as the game moved into six minutes of stoppage time. Ali's attempt was weak and easily saved down to his right by their keeper who was excellent on the night.

Once we got over the slow start it was once again Charlie Wakefield who stood out for the side. I like this kid a lot, he's my kind of player. He isn't flash or extravagantly talented but he is just effective plain and simple. He gets the ball and gives a simple pass or beats his man with a combination of pace and power. Not extreme pace and not extreme power but a potent combination of the two. He pushes the ball past his man and the next thing you know he's delivered a dangerous ball into the box or he's off on a threatening run. I see Charlie as being in the same mould as James Milner. I know many don't rate Milner but I love him. He isn't fussy but he gets things done. Charlie is the same.

Charlie didn't play for the 19s in their UEFA Youth League game on Tuesday and I don't know if he's been named in the squad for that competition but if he was then we need to draft him into that side. The 18s have been playing 3-5-2 for a while now with Charlie as a very attacking right wing back. We're told that Antonio Conte is a big fan of our academy set up. When he watches video of the 18s he won't be able to help noticing Charlie. The younster obviously picked up a knock because he was subbed at half time. I don't think it can have been serious however.

We now face Blackburn in the two-legged semi.

Muzchap likes this

I wasn't particularly impressed by last night's display.

It took us a while to establish any control and when we did, it was not the kind that led to the creation of many clear cut chances. In fact there were hardly any chances at all which resulted in their keeper being worked. Even the goal, when it came, was from a set piece. Albeit a well worked one. I'm afraid though that it was really all downhill from there with the second half performance in particular becoming steadily more disjointed as time ticked on.

A key reason for this patchy outing was the form of Kyle Scott in the centre of the park. He was energetic and calm in possession as usual but I felt sorry for the kid as he had a wretched night passing wise. A staggeringly high percentage of his deliveries were either misplaced and gave possession away or under hit meaning that they were intercepted, resulted in a tackle or set up very poor quality possession. There had been some pre-game complaints about the pitch so maybe the surface contributed to Kyle's troubles. Either way, when his substitution came midway through the second half, it felt like it was long overdue. Keep your head up son, there will be better days.

More positively, I thought defenders Clarke-Salter and Tomori were our stand out performers on the night. Of the forward players, Sterling showed the best form but he struggled for an end product. For the most part Tammy Abraham was starved of decent possession but he wasn't able to make the most of what little he did get.

This team has to work harder for their victories than their recent predecessors. They don't have the stand out brilliance of Boga, Colkett or Musonda to rely on and they were without Charlie Wakefield who has probably been their most penetrative player in recent months. I don't know when Charlie will be back but I think he'll make a difference if he's available for the second leg at The Bridge in three weeks time.

Butch Wilkins has been bemoaning what he sees as a lack of intensity but I'm really enjoying the game. These are two high quality U18 sides who have produced some excellent, and  really interesting, football.

We were utterly dominant for the opening 10-15 minutes and we finished the half more strongly but in between City had their moments. For us Jake & Fikayo have been outstanding defensively as well as stepping out with the ball. Fikayo in particular has carried a threat right into City's box from open play. He's been great, as has Trevor Chalobah playing at right back. He's been solid and has made two or three really threatening runs with good deliveries on the end of them. As I type, he has just done it again only this time, Mason Mount has converted to put us one up early in the second half.

For City there is no question about who has been their star. Based on what I saw during the EUFA Youth League campaign, the young Spaniard Brahim Diaz is the best development level player in Europe. By a mile. He is an outstanding player who  is a cast iron, 100% certainty to make it at the highest level. The kid is truly an exceptional footballer. Well played City for winning his signature.

Billy. and Stats like this

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Butch Wilkins has been bemoaning what he sees as a lack of intensity but I'm really enjoying the game. These are two high quality U18 sides who have produced some excellent, and  really interesting, football.

We were utterly dominant for the opening 10-15 minutes and we finished the half more strongly but in between City had their moments. For us Jake & Fikayo have been outstanding defensively as well as stepping out with the ball. Fikayo in particular has carried a threat right into City's box from open play. He's been great, as has Trevor Chalobah playing at right back. He's been solid and has made two or three really threatening runs with good deliveries on the end of them. As I type, he has just done it again only this time, Mason Mount has converted to put us one up.

For City there is no question about who has been their star. Based on what I saw during the EUFA Youth League campaign, the young Spaniard Brahim Diaz is the best development level player in Europe. By a mile. He is an outstanding player who  is a cast iron, 100% certainty to make it at the highest level. The kid is truly exceptional footballer. Well played City for winning his signature.

Diaz is only 16 as well. Amazing how technically good he is. Different class. Plays really like Messi. Imagine him in a few years if he continues developing...

13 minutes ago, Stats said:

Diaz is only 16 as well. Amazing how technically good he is. Different class. Plays really like Messi. Imagine him in a few years if he continues developing...

Agreed but it's not just the technique. It's how he sees things around him his in stride deliveries and the little scooped passes and so on. Arsene Wenger says football speaks to Jack Witshire, well she sings songs and takes her clothes off for this kid.

Stats likes this

Kyle Scott has been introduced for Ali. Kyle's illness has really slowed him up in recent weeks and, judged in finite terms, his displays have been mainly poor. Let's see how he goes for the half an hour he's got tonight.

Finished 1-1. We must be a good side because City certainly are and we held our own against them. Indeed on balance of play, and balance of chances, we probably deserved to win.

Tomori MoTM. He was brilliant defensively and a threat breaking out from the back.

2nd leg, Stamford Bridge next Wednesday.

And we have won the FAYC for the third time in a row!!!!! We beat City 3-1 with goals from Sterling, Abraham and Tomori. Well done. Excellent achievement considering the crop that left us last season which included, RLC, Christensen, Brown, Boga, Musonda and Solanke. Congrats! :clap:

Johnnyeye, guddy6969 and Blue_Fox_ like this