2014: Animation excellence, 2015: TV drama quality like never before

2014: Rick and Morty debut season, Attack on Titan debut (in the U.S.), Space Dandy, and... I feel like I'm forgetting one, but it cannot be Mr. Pickles.

2015: debut season: Dark Matter, Mr. Robot, Humans, Fear of the Walking Dead,

continuing: The Strain season 2, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones,

What else have you watched in 2014-2015? There are more shows on premium channels, Hulu, and Netflix I've not watched. Also, Hannibal get good reviews from viewers, but I've not brought myself to watch it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently watching Hannibal, nearly finished with season 2 and I think it's excellent. The dark atmosphere is brilliant, as is Mads Mikkelsen's portrayal of dr. Lecter.

Other shows I enjoyed the last few years apart from the obvious ones (Game of Thrones, TWD,..) are The 100, American Horror Story, Fargo, True Detective, Penny Dreadful, Wayward Pines, Peaky Blinders to name a few

2014: Rick and Morty debut season, Attack on Titan debut (in the U.S.), Space Dandy, and... I feel like I'm forgetting one, but it cannot be Mr. Pickles.

2015: debut season: Dark Matter, Mr. Robot, Humans, Fear of the Walking Dead,

continuing: The Strain season 2, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones,

What else have you watched in 2014-2015? There are more shows on premium channels, Hulu, and Netflix I've not watched. Also, Hannibal get good reviews from viewers, but I've not brought myself to watch it.

Attack on Titan was both very exciting and incredibly disappointing at the same time.

I thought when Eren was first eaten by the titan, he was truly dead and Kobayashi had completely subverted the prototypical shonen plot arc and protagonist. I thought it was amazing, they spend 3 episodes building up Eren as the protagonist but he dies on his first day! I hoped it would become about Mikasa. I was wrong but the series turned out quite nicely for the most part.

The debuts of Narcos, Daredevil and Mr. Robot have been brilliant.
Dark Matter hasn't been bad either despite of a low budget production.

Luckliy there will be a second season.
The debuts of Limitless (tells the story of the movie with Bradley Cooper, who takes part in the series too) and Minorty Report (remember the movie with i think Tom Cruise) have been quite shocking, no new ideas and bad execution.

I'm addicted to Ray Donovan, always like a family drama and it's getting darker and darker.

Can't wait till the seventh season of Shameless is coming back.
For me the second season of How to get away with murder has been very exciting thus far.
The fith season of Homeland has also been exciting, like the reboot and the setting, takes place in Berlin.

I like the gangster shit in Power, almost too much drama, but not as much as Empire offers, i like Power.
The Good Wife, some people will laugh, but not later than the episode "hitting the fan" the series is great to watch,
always about current topics and good orchestration.

True Detectives 2 has been ok, the innovation is gone, but the entertainment is still there.
The story telling of The Affair is something new, like that they portray the view from both sides by splitting the time in two parts.

The Blacklist has done some changes during their theird season, but it's getting better and away from the case of the weeks.

They are still existing, but serving a higher purpose.
Gotham is okay, but you know what will happen.
The Arrow is entertaining, sometimes after a hard day it's ok to watch.
Normally i'm not a fan of superheroes, but i like the dark setting and Felicity. :wub:
Vikings is okay, not as good as Spartacus, but it has its moments.

The second season of Fargo has surprised me the most, absolutely brilliant so far and no more boring characters like Molly in it.

I think that's most of the stuff, nowadays the TV-series are telling the good stories.

The debuts of Narcos, Daredevil and Mr. Robot have been brilliant.

Dark Matter hasn't been bad either despite of a low budget production.

Luckliy there will be a second season.

The debuts of Limitless (tells the story of the movie with Bradley Cooper, who takes part in the series too) and Minortiy Report (remember the movie with i think Tom Cruise) have been quite shocking, no new ideas and but execution.

I'm addicted to Ray Donovan, always like a family drama and it's getting darker and darker.

Can't wait till the seventh season of Shameless is coming back.

For me the second season of How to get away with murder has been very exciting thus far.

The fith season of Homeland has also been exciting, like the reboot and the setting, takes place in Berlin.

I like the gangster shit in Power, almost too much drama, but not as much as Empire offers, i like Power.

The Good Wife, some people will laugh, but not later than the episode "hitting the fan" the series is great to watch,

always about current topics and good orchestration.

True Detectives 2 has been ok, the innovation has been gone, but the entertainment is still there.

The story telling of The Affair is something new, like that they portray the view from both sides by splitting the time in two parts.

The Blacklist has done some changes during their theird season, but it's getting better and away from the case of the weeks.

They are still existing, but serving a higher purpose.

Gotham is okay, but you know what will happen.

The Arrow is entertaining, sometimes after a hard day it's ok to watch.

Normally i'm not a fan of superheroes, but i like the dark setting and Felicity. :wub:

Vikings is okay, not as good as Spartacus, but it has its moments.

The second season of Fargo has surprised me the most, absolutely brilliant so far and no more boring characters like Molly in it.

I think that's most of the stuff, nowadays the TV-series are telling the good stories.

I can't help but think of Gotham as a mediocre drama that's also just part fashion show. Limitless and Minority Report were doomed before they debuted, coming from broadcast networks that specialize in failure (trying to bridge the gap between the younger generations and older, but appealing to neither).

But, you mentioned the Netflix stuff there. I've not watched Narcos, but I enjoyed Daredevil and Sense8 was OK. Sense8 is curious because the plot and innovation are lacking IMO, but the characters are still somewhat interesting. Probably there are too many characters and too many things happening that none of them have become very intimate with the audience.

Fargo season two is about to turn into a bloodbath, it seems. I have to say that I am more excited to watch it now. I've not gotten around to Ray Donovan seasons 2 and 3 yet; not sure it's worth it even though I liked the first season enough to watch all of it.

What do you think of Hannibal? People tell me that they like --which is unusual for a broadcast TV show.

I know I couldn't enjoy Vikings nor The Bastard Executioner. The latter looks more like another pathetic SoA MTV dress-up douchebag show.

Not gotten around to watching the series on Starz yet (like Outlander, which gets very good reviews). But, I am watching some of Patrick Stewart in Blunt Talk and I'm starting the new Ash vs. Evil Dead series this weekend. Reminds me that I've also not watched much of season 2 of Silicon Valley; characters are so awful that I can't enjoy maybe.

I can't help but think of Gotham as a mediocre drama that's also just part fashion show. Limitless and Minority Report were doomed before they debuted, coming from broadcast networks that specialize in failure (trying to bridge the gap between the younger generations and older, but appealing to neither).

But, you mentioned the Netflix stuff there. I've not watched Narcos, but I enjoyed Daredevil and Sense8 was OK. Sense8 is curious because the plot and innovation are lacking IMO, but the characters are still somewhat interesting. Probably there are too many characters and too many things happening that none of them have become very intimate with the audience.

Fargo season two is about to turn into a bloodbath, it seems. I have to say that I am more excited to watch it now. I've not gotten around to Ray Donovan seasons 2 and 3 yet; not sure it's worth it even though I liked the first season enough to watch all of it.

What do you think of Hannibal? People tell me that they like --which is unusual for a broadcast TV show.

I know I couldn't enjoy Vikings nor The Bastard Executioner. The latter looks more like another pathetic SoA MTV dress-up douchebag show.

Not gotten around to watching the series on Starz yet (like Outlander, which gets very good reviews). But, I am watching some of Patrick Stewart in Blunt Talk and I'm starting the new Ash vs. Evil Dead series this weekend. Reminds me that I've also not watched much of season 2 of Silicon Valley; characters are so awful that I can't enjoy maybe.

Not every TV-Show can revolutionize the game.

Gotham does nothing new, but they know that and make the best of it.

Yes, i don't like the drama about Babara, she's one hell of mean bitch, but otherwise, i like the Penguin.

It's average, mediocre seems a bit harsh, but everyone has their opinion and who am i to throw the first stone?!

The third episode of Fargo season 2 could have ended very likely in a bloodbath, liked the two standoffs.

Patrick Wilson, great actor, like him since "Lakeview Terrace".

I recommend you watching the second and third season of Ray Donovan, Mickey is going to have some pretty nice ideas. <_<

Most likely, Hannibal will turn your world upside down.

Don't eat something while watching, i think that you are familiar with the story, some acrid things will happen, bah.

Besides, it's a very good show, very dark and with good dialogues in it, you don't make a mistake by watching it.

I didn't watch the whole show, for me, it's too disgusting and there were too many cases of the week.

I took a first look at "Outlander", my opinion is that more likely women watch it, because of the portrayed feelings and the behaviour.

Don't want to offend anyone here, that's just my impression.

I'm a big fan of "Sons of Anarchy", especially the first four seasons, but i don't like The bad executioner.

For me, it's a complete different series, but that's just my opinion.

I don't like the jokes of Silicon Valley, way too many stereotypes in it.

I prefer "you're the worst".

Different setting, but for me the jokes work a lot better.

I forgot to mention "Suits", the next episodes will come soon and i like the atmosphere and the characters.

Meghan Markle... :wub:

Thank you for your input, i will take a look at some of the shows, at the next opportunity or you can call it a break.

Two new shows coming soon: Colony on USA, and Expanse on SyFy.

I've also not finished Continuum, nor Defiance (I think I've only watched most of the 1st season). 50-50 at best with a lot of shows on SyFy, but I ended up liking Dark Matter more than most I've watched on there since the 90s.

@Essien You're probably correct on Outlander.

Alright so,

Hannibal is my favourite show of all time behind Breaking Bad, i just get lost in all the details, the mood of the show, the interaction of characters and the relationship between Will and Hannibal, it is a real shame no one watched it, and it deserved more and more of what it go, this is why we can't have nice things on tv, i understand it can be heavy and sometimes "boring" but there's so much hidden behind every single word spoken by the characters, the show is by all means a form of art on the little screen.

Fargo, dark comedy, superior to True Detective, yet the latter got more praise. Again, the characters are amazing, and so far i'm loving season two more than i loved season 1, it's a manual of storytelling.

True Detective, this show is the definition of "throwing shit on a wall and see what sticks on it" they were lucky enough the first season managed to keep it together, but from the start of the show i felt something was off, it held together in the end thanks to the actor's performance, and a decent story, everything fell apart on seasons two, unwatchable almost.

The Strain, is one of my favourites, it is lighthearted, it can be silly. But Guillermo del Toro is Guillermo del Toro, it is enjoyable, fun to watch.

American Horror Story, watch season 2 of this show if you can, the best by a mile. It can be confusing and sometime too focused on grossing you out rather than spook you out, still i enjoy it a lot.

Homeland was so cool in its first season, it had a steady decline since then and it became boring, the main character is as unlikeable as they get, and yet it hooked me up. The fifth season is better than the last so far, and i hope they keep going in this direction.

Da Vinci's Demons, same as the Strain but without del Toro, silly,stupid, yet fun.

I cannot believe no one mentioned Better Call Saul yet. Best show the tv has to offer right now. Similar to Breaking Bad, fantastic, another manual of storytelling.

I love Vikings.

And at last WD and Got, i want to spend a few words about them and how they started off as great shows but they became almost garbage, the WD started so well, it was fantastic to watch, and unlike many i liked a lot season 2, it didn't have a great pace, but it made sense, there was that sense of asking yourself, what would i do in such a circumstance, now it's just a drama with zombies, similarly Got started as well if not better, but it got lost after season 3, the story stopped making sense and it was just killing for the sake of "shocking the audience" while obtaining a result in the opposite direction.

yea, good mention: Better Call Saul. I agree that the storytelling is excellent in that show --like Breaking Bad.

I'm thinking season two of Fargo will turn out to be excellent, but I'm saving my score/review of it until later; looks set to explode at the moment. I'm enjoying how the story unwraps so far.

@Blue Fox How do you rate True Detective up against something like the 1st season of Twin Peaks? or, is it as dark as something like Low Winter Sun (I wasn't able to watch that one)?

@Blue Fox How do you rate True Detective up against something like the 1st season of Twin Peaks? or, is it as dark as something like Low Winter Sun (I wasn't able to watch that one)?

I can't tell you about Low Winter Sun because i didn't watch it, but rating it to Twin Peaks is like rating a pair of twins, one blonde and the other brunette. Polar opposite, the only thing they have in common is the crime solving part.

Twin Peaks knows what it is, knows what he needs to do, it is self conscious, it can be light hearted, it can be serious, at moments it knows it is really bad, but that self consciousness makes it better, it doesn't want to fool you.

While True Detective wants to be serious, at all costs, it wants to create this intricate story, sometimes with a higher meaning, it succeeds and it fails at the same time.

Another point they have in common is eccentric characters. The True Detective duo is really good and it works, and has it's fair share of strangeness, similar to Twin Peaks main character.

All in all, they're both fascinating shows, enjoyable, and fun sometimes, the difference is, Twin Peaks knows what is doing, it goes along with itself, True Detective is a togetherness of random things that worked the first time around, second time, not so much.