The Mourinho Thread

I honestly think he's been told that the days of big spending are over and that he's being forced to use academy players or ones like Moses who were out on loan.

We'll literally be lining up day one of the PL with the same XI in all likelihood. Would've laughed at someone who told me on the final day of last season that we'd start the next one with a weaker squad.

Think it's stretching it to say we start next season with a weaker squad. We basically still have the same squad as last season.

Isn't FFP relaxed now anyway, and even if it wasn't Im sure we could spend 50-70mil without it being a problem with the new TV deal, recent player sales and new sponsors.

Yes, it has but if the board remains afraid about the FFP (for whatever reason) and stingy about using the truckload of money we have, then Mourinho can't do anything. The only surprise now, if anything, is he hasn't made any noise about the board.

Isn't FFP relaxed now anyway, and even if it wasn't Im sure we could spend 50-70mil without it being a problem with the new TV deal, recent player sales and new sponsors.

They worked out , we could spend £130m without selling, and still comply

nope.

actually, i would not mind one bit not buying luis and simply promoting ake. now that would be a statement of purpose of actually going to integrate the youth.

Same here, wouldn't mind that at all.

Think it's stretching it to say we start next season with a weaker squad. We basically still have the same squad as last season.

Begovic for Cech is a downgrade and Falcao for Didier is a wash basically.

You're right, it's essentially the same, maybe slightly weaker. Just so frustrating seeing our rivals splashing huge money (I know, they need to catch up to us) whilst we clearly have the money to spend but are choosing not to.

The most frustrating thing is seeing City pissing in the face of FFP and likely splashing £100m+ on attacking players when they already had the best attack in the league. They clearly aren't afraid of the rules and are showing huge ambition. Conversely, we have areas of the team that sorely need reinforcement and Josè says we need no signings. Even signing John Stones looks like it's off now.

We're still an injury to Hazard, Terry, or Matić away from disaster.

We've spent big money on Cuadrado, Schurrle, Fabregas, Costa, Luis, Willian since Jose's been here. This recent narrative the board isn't backing Mourinho is beyond laughable.

There's still over a month left in the transfer window which is a huge amount of time in football. City have still only signed Sterling & Arsenal just Cech.

We've spent big money on Cuadrado, Schurrle, Fabregas, Costa, Luis, Willian since Jose's been here. This recent narrative the board isn't backing Mourinho is beyond laughable.

There's still over a month left in the transfer window which is a huge amount of time in football.

And half of those you've just named we've pretty much been burned on. Maybe the owner and board want to try a different approach where instead of buying expensive players we use what we already have?

Not an unbelievable scenario, really.

And half of those you've just named we've pretty much been burned on. Maybe the owner and board want to try a different approach where instead of buying expensive players we use what we already have?

Not an unbelievable scenario, really.

Well people can't have it both way.

We can't buy new players and then expect to give chance to younger players.

It just doesn't work that way.

One season you have to take a stand and it has to be this season after winning the PL last season.

It's a gamble worth taking. Just as long as we stick to that idea till the end of the season. Not just try the young player in one game or one "big important game" and think that is enough......

Sustain game time is the key as we have seen for a player like KDB.

There's still over a month left in the transfer window which is a huge amount of time in football. City have still only signed Sterling & Arsenal just Cech.

And we sold: KDB (20m), Mata (37m), Luiz (40-50m), Schurrle (for Cuad), Lukaku (28m), released big wages players in: Cole, Lampard and Torres to be able to buy those names you've mentioned.

It was even published by Sky that we have the lowest net spend of the top 6/7 clubs since Jose's return. That's something we can be proud of, but how many Lukaku's, KDB's, Luiz's and Mata's do we have left?

They worked out , we could spend £130m without selling, and still comply

There's definitely something happing behind the scenes like people here are suggesting. Mourinho seemed so confident in signing players to challenge the first Xi at the end of the season.

Wonder if he's just saying that because the board is emphasizing on committing to the FFP rules (FFS!) and 'One Out One In' policy. Otherwise, it's bizarre to think a manager as experienced as Mourinho thinks this squad is complete or perfect.

I actually have seen many indirect and some direct comments that shows his frustrations towards the board, and where he tried to explain that his role/power is limited, i.e many things are out of his power.

- ''There's first he owner, then you have the board, and then comes the manager.'' - Jose

example: Situation with Cech, he repeated many times that he wanted to sell him abroad but he had no power in this case.

- Recent ''Eiffel tower'' comment, how he described it was like buying Pogba is totally impossible for us, while it's clear that many top clubs are chasing him. Indirect comment that we're smaller or can't spend?

"I think everybody has an interest in Pogba. But there are things you can do and things you cannot do. I love the Eiffel Tower (Pogba) but I can’t have the Eiffel Tower in my garden. I can’t even have the Eiffel Tower of Las Vegas.(cheaper version, Witsel?)”

- Mourinho on Stones situation: ‘That is the market. And you only pay it if you want. If you don’t want to pay it, don’t pay. It’s as simple as that. The market has no rules or limits from season to season. And not even the introduction of Financial Fair Play rules is able to control the market. The market is where it is and it’s up to the clubs to decide yes or no. For ourselves there are certain rules.

Just a few examples, but I have seen these kind of comments very often. He speaks more often about Roman and the board than usual.

He tries to hide it now, with comments like ''challenge to do it with no new players'' or ''we are champions, we don't need new players'' etc. etc But I think deep inside him, he doesn't like it all.

Now I am hoping some old woods in our squad expressing his desire to leave, so that Jose forced to buy a better player as a replacement.

I actually have seen many indirect and some direct comments that shows his frustrations towards the board, and where he tried to explain that his role/power is limited, i.e many things are out of his power.

- ''There's first he owner, then you have the board, and then comes the manager.'' - Jose

example: Situation with Cech, he repeated many times that he wanted to sell him abroad but he had no power in this case.

- Recent ''Eiffel tower'' comment, how he described it was like buying Pogba is totally impossible for us, while it's clear that many top clubs are chasing him. Indirect comment that we're smaller or can't spend?

"I think everybody has an interest in Pogba. But there are things you can do and things you cannot do. I love the Eiffel Tower (Pogba) but I can’t have the Eiffel Tower in my garden. I can’t even have the Eiffel Tower of Las Vegas.(cheaper version, Witsel?)”

- Mourinho on Stones situation: ‘That is the market. And you only pay it if you want. If you don’t want to pay it, don’t pay. It’s as simple as that. The market has no rules or limits from season to season. And not even the introduction of Financial Fair Play rules is able to control the market. The market is where it is and it’s up to the clubs to decide yes or no. For ourselves there are certain rules.

Just a few examples, but I have seen these kind of comments very often. He speaks more often about Roman and the board than usual.

He tries to hide it now, with comments like ''challenge to do it with no new players'' or ''we are champions, we don't need new players'' etc. etc But I think deep inside him, he doesn't like it all.

Think you're on to something here.

He definitely seems frustrated and annoyed in regards to transfer business in his last couple of press conferences. It sounds to me like the club have bid on multiple players but everyone is saying no. He said something like he wants "to make a bid a club will actually accept."

He sounds a frustrated that the business isn't being done quickly enough.