The Mourinho Thread

I think Jose approaches in big games are very intelligent.

In some games if we run risks and go out to attack directly, we run the risk that our opponent (with the force of their fans) make us a couple of quick goals and to sentence them the round.

What Jose does is eliminate the possibility that our opponent's attack like a gale, presenting us a slow match, without spaces and where we have the predominance of possession.

In matches posed in this way we get our opponent has virtually no chance to reach our case (the goal is an error of Cahill) and we generate more with spaces as we ought much because our players play with spaces more comfortable, and much more for counterattacks.

Jose waive the first 90 minutes of the round and he bets all to the match in The Puente. Maybe this is risky and conservative approach, but when these fighting for every trophy is practically impossible to play to win in every game. I think Jose does very pragmatic approach.

And besides, many people think in Guardiola's Barcelona, but they do a CATENACCIO but offensive. Guardiola and Mourinho pose mind games with much wear at the opponent. It is the same but raised differently. Guardiola desperate opponent with touch football and Mourinho desperate his rivals with an approach that frustrates them because they can not attack teams Jose.

The major parties are complicated and small details can remove you. It is a smarter approach than attractive. But what's really beautiful is to win trophies not only play well / spectacular. In May / June to be in big games that is the most beautiful.

If we play big games without humility maybe our opponents can break our face.

Regards to all.

You're Spanish right, so I assume you watch Atletico Madrid a lot and would like to know your opinion - do you think Jose's approach is better than Simeone's for the big games? People on here don't watch much of Atletico and just like to moan about things like how they beat a team near the bottom of the league (2-0 vs. Granada) at home with a penalty (completing forgetting that we did the exact same against QPR in our 2-1 win).

You say it is impossible for the opposition to reach our goal but I find the opposite to be true. We concede a lot of possession around our box, against both the smaller sides and bigger teams because our defending can be very passive with the pressing non existent or easily overcome. This is shown in the statistics: on average Atletico concede 8 shots on goal per game whereas we concede 10.3 and for comparison Liverpool concede 11.4 and Newcastle concede 11.9. Because our lack of defensive compactness (big gaps within midfield & between midfield and attack) often allows the opposition to play between the lines and take more shots on goal it's no surprise that we've kept so few clean sheets away from home this season. There are also other tactical reasons why Atletico are more defensively solid - they create pressing traps, defend with more numbers (Costa is rather static compared to last year in defence), and overload a lot whereas we often defend 1v1 in very dangerous areas which makes it more likely that we will concede a goal.

With regard to the attacking play, I agree with you that playing deep can be an advantage because there is lots of space behind the opposition defence. However if the opposition press us and squeeze us into our own half we find it difficult to get out. We are not very good at counter attacking from deep positions because our transitions are not so great and we would be a lot more successful if the counter started higher up the pitch - obviously done by pressing higher as a unit which Atletico do brilliantly. In the big away games under Mourinho we tend to either defend deep with little to no attacking output (away to City this year) or press high and be defensively very open (Liverpool/United away in the league this year). The game away to City last year was clearly the exception and not the rule. This season we have yet to play away to a big side where we create good chances and look defensively solid. Atletico do that in the majority of their big games and they are playing against much better opposition in Real and Barca. For me it is very clear which is the more balanced and better defensive system.

So I and 4500 others who went to the game last night got in at 4AM then a few hours later go to work as normal having given our everything to support the team and he still has a dig at us about our home support, talks in his press conference about how great anfields actually mythical atmosphere is and applauds the Liverpool fans at full time but ignores us and shakes his head every time we sing about Gerrard. Has he ever once praised our away fans? Bore off Jose you dick

You're Spanish right, so I assume you watch Atletico Madrid a lot and would like to know your opinion - do you think Jose's approach is better than Simeone's for the big games? People on here don't watch much of Atletico and just like to moan about things like how they beat a team near the bottom of the league (2-0 vs. Granada) at home with a penalty (completing forgetting that we did the exact same against QPR in our 2-1 win).

You say it is impossible for the opposition to reach our goal but I find the opposite to be true. We concede a lot of possession around our box, against both the smaller sides and bigger teams because our defending can be very passive with the pressing non existent or easily overcome. This is shown in the statistics: on average Atletico concede 8 shots on goal per game whereas we concede 10.3 and for comparison Liverpool concede 11.4 and Newcastle concede 11.9. Because our lack of defensive compactness (big gaps within midfield & between midfield and attack) often allows the opposition to play between the lines and take more shots on goal it's no surprise that we've kept so few clean sheets away from home this season. There are also other tactical reasons why Atletico are more defensively solid - they create pressing traps, defend with more numbers (Costa is rather static compared to last year in defence), and overload a lot whereas we often defend 1v1 in very dangerous areas which makes it more likely that we will concede a goal.

With regard to the attacking play, I agree with you that playing deep can be an advantage because there is lots of space behind the opposition defence. However if the opposition press us and squeeze us into our own half we find it difficult to get out. We are not very good at counter attacking from deep positions because our transitions are not so great and we would be a lot more successful if the counter started higher up the pitch - obviously done by pressing higher as a unit which Atletico do brilliantly. In the big away games under Mourinho we tend to either defend deep with little to no attacking output (away to City this year) or press high and be defensively very open (Liverpool/United away in the league this year). The game away to City last year was clearly the exception and not the rule. This season we have yet to play away to a big side where we create good chances and look defensively solid. Atletico do that in the majority of their big games and they are playing against much better opposition in Real and Barca. For me it is very clear which is the more balanced and better defensive system.

Yes, I usually go to the match at the Vicente Calderon of Atletico de Madrid.

I think Simeone is now the best coach in the world as Champions League trophy cups or rounds. In the big games Simeone makes perfect approaches. He despairs his rivals with his whole back enclosed defensive team, but with a brutal intense fisical which allows the Atletico de Madrid steal the ball and make a quick counterattack that allows them to reach a goal in a few seconds (I remember Fernando Torres's goal against Real Madrid). They are defensive but intense as strong / pressure that suffocate their rivals. I think Simeone is more defense Mourinho.

In addition, the Atletico de Madrid uses the strategy perfectly in the faults and in corners, allowing it to score many goals by rehearsed move. That's the big difference between Mourinho and Simeone. Simeone is an obsession of the set pieces. If you see your goals, most are from set pieces.

Maybe Mourinho let your opponents have more possession of the ball while we wait back, and Simeone drowning his rivals. Simeone bites, Mourinho contemplates.

Maybe Mourinho let your opponents have more possession of the ball while we wait back, and Simeone drowning his rivals. Simeone bites, Mourinho contemplates.

True, maybe we let our opponents get much to our goal, perhaps we need to make a much more intense pressure to prevent our rivals reach our goal.

Mourinho used to place his defense 25 meters ahead of his goal, maybe that is failing for us this year, and that Simeone plantera perfectly well what each major match.

Simeone Maybe now is the best coach in the world for big games.

I hope I explained well, sometimes my English is a bit confusing.

Regards to The Chels.

Regards to all.

Yes, I usually go to the match at the Vicente Calderon of Atletico de Madrid.

I think Simeone is now the best coach in the world as Champions League trophy cups or rounds. In the big games Simeone makes perfect approaches. He despairs his rivals with his whole back enclosed defensive team, but with a brutal intense fisical which allows the Atletico de Madrid steal the ball and make a quick counterattack that allows them to reach a goal in a few seconds (I remember Fernando Torres's goal against Real Madrid). They are defensive but intense as strong / pressure that suffocate their rivals. I think Simeone is more defense Mourinho.

In addition, the Atletico de Madrid uses the strategy perfectly in the faults and in corners, allowing it to score many goals by rehearsed move. That's the big difference between Mourinho and Simeone. Simeone is an obsession of the set pieces. If you see your goals, most are from set pieces.

True, maybe we let our opponents get much to our goal, perhaps we need to make a much more intense pressure to prevent our rivals reach our goal.

Mourinho used to place his defense 25 meters ahead of his goal, maybe that is failing for us this year, and that Simeone plantera perfectly well what each major match.

Simeone Maybe now is the best coach in the world for big games.

I hope I explained well, sometimes my English is a bit confusing.

Regards to The Chels.

Regards to all.

Sums it up brilliantly. Thanks for that.

This is what I think:

In the league he has to get all the points no matter what, hence take more risks to grab the goals. In knock-out competitions it seems we revert to "there's still the second leg" attitude and in the second leg we go "penalties are better than losing", thus both games are normally very cagey under Mourinho unless we really need to go for it when losing. We usually just look to nick a goal and hold it for our lives to avoid all the ET and peno bullshit. In the league we actually look to improve our goal difference, which isn't important in cups.

Yesterday my point was highlighted by the fact that he brought on Azpi for Willian with quite a lot of time left, that was the moment when I realized that Jose just wanted to take the away goal and run with it until we have the home advantage. Playing it safe, but the accompanying performance was horrible for some reason, not a hint of defensive control over the game. Shit needs to improve next game or we're in trouble. This kind of mentality can of course backfire when we play like crap, but it can actually turn out good more often than not imo.

Despite yesterday, I'm still confident, because I think there's no way the home leg will be a repeat of what we saw. We're a different animal at home and taking an away goal from Anfield isn't that bad - dont forget, we're still leading. Also, we must remember that cups are the only title hopes Liverpool have and they have extra motivation now for Gerrard to leave with some final silverware. So combine that logic with their habit of raising their game against us, and you get a Liverpool different from what we encounter in the league.

The circumstances are indeed different but I don't think that can be used as an excuse or reason for the indifferent performances in the cup and league, regardless of the approach. I generally do not have any problem with Mourinho attempting to play on the break away at the big teams but yesterday, it wasn't the first time we have performed that badly, especially going forward, in such games. Same thing happened at Manchester City earlier this season.

Another bizarre thing was Mourinho didn't look to change things around in the second half when we were getting outplayed by Liverpool. He used to make changes early when things don't go according to plan but in recent times, he has been too reluctant/stubborn to do that.

So I and 4500 others who went to the game last night got in at 4AM then a few hours later go to work as normal having given our everything to support the team and he still has a dig at us about our home support, talks in his press conference about how great anfields actually mythical atmosphere is and applauds the Liverpool fans at full time but ignores us and shakes his head every time we sing about Gerrard. Has he ever once praised our away fans? Bore off Jose you dick

WAAHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHH.

He should stop talking about the support.

It's not often you see a manager show such disdain for his own club's supporters. It's really bizarre to say the least.

"If Stamford Bridge can give us 25% of the emotion Anfield gives Liverpool, I think we can do it."

That is such an incredibly moronic statement that perpetuates the idea that the Chelsea support is shit. It's a fucking semi-final against one of our fiercest rivals; of course the fans are going to be up for it.

Is it not true though? Ive been to a few home games this year and the away fans always out sang us until our first goal. Its pathetic.

That's completely besides the point. It's not his place to talk about fans in a negative way. On the contrary, one of his responsibilities as the manager is to reflect a good image of both the club and the fans.

You don't go call your overweight boss a "fat wanker" and tell him he wishes he was as fit as the rival company owner because "it's true".

He is not going about it very sensibly. If he said something like 'I want the fans to be our 12th man and make it difficult for Liverpool' then it would be greeted with a much better response than 'it's an empty stadium' and 'if only we could got 25% of Anfield's noise'. I can't imagine what he says to the players he doesn't particularly like if this is how he treats the fans who always chant his name.