Kenedy

the wes

Just now, Jason said:

That's just one example. You're saying as if he wouldn't be able to score at all if he was playing as an attacking wide player instead.

Of course not, but Robert has not got great close control and decision making, at full back that isn't much of an issue going forward because of the more space they get, as shown by his goal tonight.

I see his potential at as left side version ofAlves, Pep played Dani as a winger a few times and he was average, at right back he's devastating, from what I've seen of Kenedy, if he can improve on his defence, his future is left back.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Of course not, but Robert has not got great close control and decision making, at full back that isn't much of an issue going forward because of the more space they get, as shown by his goal tonight.

I see his potential at as left side version ofAlves, Pep played Dani as a winger a few times and he was average, at right back he's devastating, from what I've seen of Kenedy, if he can improve on his defence, his future is left back.

I would rather get a proper left back rather than trying to fit square pegs in round holes. It's not like an actual left back can't score goals like Kenedy did earlier!

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Kenedy can also score and play well as a winger. See his game against Walsall.

Just now, Tomo said:

He picked up the ball overlapping Hazard then ran into the space he had and got his shot away, space he wouldn't have been granted playing left wing.

His goal if anything strengthens the argument to play him at full back.

He was in a left wing position, Hazard was more central, hes not going to have that many chances to score goals from LB considering Hazard usually plays on left more often than not, sure Hazard comes inside but he is still mainly on the left side of the pitch. If Kenedy was playing LW he would have exactly the same space and opportunities to do what he did tonight but more often. Also why play a left winger as a left back, who struggled defensively all game against a poor side who clearly targeted him, where the winger doesn't offer as much protection as is given on the right side? 

In my opinion Kenedy has deserved to play left wing ahead of Hazard for 3/4s of the season so far and its a shame he hasn't because he really looks like he could become an excellent and exciting wide player. His key attributes when he signed were meant to be dribbling and shooting, hes not going to get many chances to shoot if hes playing left back, Hazard isn't untouchable and if Kenedy was competing directly for a left wing spot I think he would give Hazard more motivation to play at a higher level again. I think the fact Baba hasn't been given a long run in the team and the fact Eden Hazard is Eden Hazard makes people want to see Kenedy as a left back instead of his best position, left wing. 

Just now, Jason said:

I would rather get a proper left back rather than trying to fit square pegs in round holes. It's not like an actual left back can't score goals like Kenedy did earlier!

Just now, Jason said:

Full backs are always square pegs in round holes, as Carra said no one starts in that position they end up there, Lucas Pizsczek was a striker till mid 20s and hes done all right.

Way I see it with Robert as a winger his potential is a decent standard hardworking little player, nothing bad about that but I believe he can be absolute top bracket as full back, so we will in my opinion be mad not to try and develop him there.

Also although he ended up in another position from the left wing imagine if Wenger decided to sign a new striker and play Henry in his "natural" left wing position?

Just now, Tomo said:

Full backs are always square pegs in round holes, as Carra said no one starts in that position they end up there, Lucas Pizsczek was a striker till mid 20s and hes done all right.

Way I see it with Robert as a winger his potential is a decent standard hardworking little player, nothing bad about that but I believe he can be absolute top bracket as full back, so we will in my opinion be mad not to try and develop him there.

Also although he ended up in another position from the left wing imagine if Wenger decided to sign a new striker and play Henry in his "natural" left wing position?

I'm sorry but I am intrigued how someone who cannot position himself well and has struggled defensively at left back when he plays can ever become a top bracket full back? He was caught out easily for the Norwich goal, as well as Ivanovic. Some players do well in a change of position but some don't. Someone who was compared to Hulk, talked about being fast, direct and having a powerful shot surely playing left back would an utter waste. Like I said before I think Eden's presence in the team regardless of his form makes people question whether Kenedy could ever break through in that position but we've seen this season hes been bright and excelled on in bursts. He has a big future ahead of him if his involvement in the team continues, the same with Bertrand Traore. Also regarding Henry comment, big difference going from a left winger to a striker than a left winger to a left back. 

If he keeps playing LB and teams keep exposing him defensively, soon enough fans will criticize him and turn on him and its back to square one with youth. Give them a chance yes but at least don't put too much pressure on them making them play a brand new position than is alien to them where they could really struggle like he did defensively tonight. 

so instead of his well taken goal, so early in the match we're picking up how he performed defensively as a LB in his maybe third game ever in the position?

I - for one - am very happy for his goal and his general attitude. He's a winger, he's very young, he can whatever a good manager works him to be at this stage. defending isn't that difficult to learn, it's all about movement and timing. There isn't a special skill from another planet. If people like Iva and Cahill made their careers being defenders, I'm sure Kenedy can improve his movement and timing and be a decent one too... I don't know where I'd rather see him play, but using only his third game in the position, while he's basically youth guy is nearly laughable. The options should be all open at this point.

11 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I'm sorry but I am intrigued how someone who cannot position himself well and has struggled defensively at left back when he plays can ever become a top bracket full back? He was caught out easily for the Norwich goal, as well as Ivanovic. Some players do well in a change of position but some don't. Someone who was compared to Hulk, talked about being fast, direct and having a powerful shot surely playing left back would an utter waste. Like I said before I think Eden's presence in the team regardless of his form makes people question whether Kenedy could ever break through in that position but we've seen this season hes been bright and excelled on in bursts. He has a big future ahead of him if his involvement in the team continues, the same with Bertrand Traore. Also regarding Henry comment, big difference going from a left winger to a striker than a left winger to a left back. 

If he keeps playing LB and teams keep exposing him defensively, soon enough fans will criticize him and turn on him and its back to His  one with youth. Give them a chance yes but at least don't put too much pressure on them making them play a brand new position than is alien to them where they could really struggle like he did defensively tonight. 

His defence can be worked on, he's made a few mistakes but he hasn't been bad all things considered.

Obviously he will need to improve In his defence for this to work, but many players before him have done it.

Just now, Tomo said:

His defence can be worked on, he's made a few mistakes but he hasn't been bad all things considered.

Obviously he will need to improve In his defence for this to work, but many players before him have done it.

And others have tried and failed too, like Ricardo Quaresma at Barcelona. I like Kenedy when he goes forward because hes fearless and restricting him to playing LB would be a huge waste. He should be fighting to play in Hazard's position. Defense can be worked on but its pointless moving him back to  a position where he is going to see less of the ball just for the fact we don't have a left back at a high level, either that or people believe Hazard will be here for the rest of his 5 year contract (which I doubt he will) so to keep him he must play LB or whatever. I'd have liked to have seen Guus and Jose drop Hazard for Kenedy earlier in the season and hopefully if it is Conte who takes over this summer, he sees Kenedy as a winger. 

On 3 March 2016 at 7:02 PM, OneMoSalah said:

And others have tried and failed too, like Ricardo Quaresma at Barcelona. I like Kenedy when he goes forward because hes fearless and restricting him to playing LB would be a huge waste. He should be fighting to play in Hazard's position. Defense can be worked on but its pointless moving him back to  a position where he is going to see less of the ball just for the fact we don't have a left back at a high level, either that or people believe Hazard will be here for the rest of his 5 year contract (which I doubt he will) so to keep him he must play LB or whatever. I'd have liked to have seen Guus and Jose drop Hazard for Kenedy earlier in the season and hopefully if it is Conte who takes over this summer, he sees Kenedy as a winger. 

Just because he's playing LB does not mean he'll see the ball less. Modern full backs touch the ball very often in today's game and are a major part in anyone's game going forward. 

7 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Just because he's playing LB does not mean he'll see the ball less. Modern full backs touch the ball very often in today's game and are a major part in anyone's game going forward. 

Yea look at Alves

Cb-g7hZXEAACd4c.jpg

Just now, The Skipper said:

Yes I know that but honestly, modern full backs like Alaba, Sandro, Danilo, Alves, Alba etc. are all pretty good defensively, modern day football or not I'd prefer to have a natural defender in my team than a winger being put there just for the sake of it. If we get Conte I hope to god he signs a left back of a high standard then we won't need to see Kenedy there because its clear hes a winger,Baba has been unconvincing too at times although he still hasn't had a major chance to cement that place as his own in the team. 

For instance lets look at Zabaleta at City, rock solid defensively first and foremost, then he looks to play forward and overlap. The same with Azpi, I'd rather have someone like that or Ashley Cole than trying to turn someone into something they aren't. Fair enough he could be a decent player there and people have said he has poor technique (really don't see how they came to that conclusion) but he is the sort of the guy you'd rather see attacking a full back than being attacked as a full back, hes quick, very direct and works hard, let him develop his final ball as a winger because it would take a lot more work to improve his defensive skills and make him a full back. 

On 02/03/2016 at 8:11 AM, Chelseabluerising said:

So happy with his goal, but like others said he needs to be playing further forward 

I'd say the reason, or one of the reasons, Kennedy is not starting more often and not in his preferred position was in evidence in the lead up to the goal. It began with a poor touch. This time, perhaps because he was coming from deep, he had a lot of room and caught up with the ball. Had he been in a tighter situation that touch would have resulted in lost possession. Obviously that's the kind of thing that happens to all players once or twice every game but I believe this is a trait of his and is something I've been commenting on since watching his highlight videos before he joined. I believe this is one of the things keeping Kennedy out of the side.