A new 3rd choice keeper?

Is their a Hilario 2006 lite #3 available?

With Begovic looking likely and Tibo established, we will probably enter next season with the strongest duo of keepers in the league, however as we saw in 2006 and 2010 it's not beyond the realms of possibility that both get injured at the same time so an expierenced #3 wouldn't go a miss, Schwarzer wouldn't have been a bad option in that regard but he's gone.

I know some of you will probably say a youth keeper but quite frankly none of them fill me with any confidence, well not enough to see them suddenly face Barca like Hilario had too or Inter like Turnbull had too, could you really see Blackman or Beeney between the sticks at The Bernabeu?

Surely, like Hilario back then, there is a semi decent keeper lurking around the continent somewhere? Maybe a HG keeper in the Championship?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Hilario and Turnbull was like having two "3rds"..with Cech he had his health issues..bone density etc..I think the risk of him getting injured was always higher than it is with TC,even tho he`s pretty thin bodied for a keeper. then we should have Begovic..I don`t know if he has any health concerns.

I wouldn`t be against a cheap experienced option if Begovic counts as homegrown we don`t need to have an English keeper or a young guy to bring through..none are gonna get a sniff to become a regular starter for atleast 10 years even if they were really good.

it`s not something that concerns me like it did in the past tho with Cech and earlier with Eddie Neidzwiecki,where the drop off in talent was so big..the immortal ghost of Les Fridge lingers on...but yeah..there should be an Hilario type available somewhere..Germany seems to be a factory of good keepers maybe look there for an experienced keeper looking for the life experience of being at a major club like us for a year or two.

I think Hilario and Turnbull was like having two "3rds"..with Cech he had his health issues..bone density etc..I think the risk of him getting injured was always higher than it is with TC,even tho he`s pretty thin bodied for a keeper. then we should have Begovic..I don`t know if he has any health concerns.

I wouldn`t be against a cheap experienced option if Begovic counts as homegrown we don`t need to have an English keeper or a young guy to bring through..none are gonna get a sniff to become a regular starter for atleast 10 years even if they were really good.

it`s not something that concerns me like it did in the past tho with Cech and earlier with Eddie Neidzwiecki,where the drop off in talent was so big..the immortal ghost of Les Fridge lingers on...but yeah..there should be an Hilario type available somewhere..Germany seems to be a factory of good keepers maybe look there for an experienced keeper looking for the life experience of being at a major club like us for a year or two.

Turnbull wasn't even a 3rd keeper, he was absolutely dreadful and it was no surprise he didn't even sniff a new deal when Mourinho returned.

Hilario I say was a bit like Schwarzer (the version we got) something In between a number 2 and a number 3, the Portuguese was better than people gave him credit for, that City game unfairly tarnished what was overall a solid spell as understudy and if we can find a new #3 on his level I won't be complaining Infact it would be delighted.

Maybe a youngish keeper happy to join as #3 with a view to promotion in a year or two if Begovic gets itchy feet and wants first team footy again.

Is their a Hilario 2006 lite #3 available?

With Begovic looking likely and Tibo established, we will probably enter next season with the strongest duo of keepers in the league, however as we saw in 2006 and 2010 it's not beyond the realms of possibility that both get injured at the same time so an expierenced #3 wouldn't go a miss, Schwarzer wouldn't have been a bad option in that regard but he's gone.

I know some of you will probably say a youth keeper but quite frankly none of them fill me with any confidence, well not enough to see them suddenly face Barca like Hilario had too or Inter like Turnbull had too, could you really see Blackman or Beeney between the sticks at The Bernabeu?

Surely, like Hilario back then, there is a semi decent keeper lurking around the continent somewhere? Maybe a HG keeper in the Championship?

Youve got more faith in Begovic coming than I have. I can see him in cod dark Mancland cause we tried to play lowball instead of paying out for a player we are in need of.

Isn't delac good?

A case of what should've been again mate. This is a poster example, if we didn't have enough of those, for when misguided loans stagnate a player awfully. Delac had a huge name coming to us, and some of the videos I saw in the early days had me thinking we were onto another gem that could turn out to be our next Petr eventually. Unfortunately almost every loan he went on, he couldn't get past the keeper who was already there.

--

As for the OP. Third goal keeper is a very precarious position, you need someone who knows they might even play >10 games a season.. In that case you want someone from the academy because at least they're getting game time in reserves/u21s. They would only need a call up when the situation requires and it's easier to pull a player from reserves/u21s. Not sure how Blackman has progressed lately, but I know there's some excitement for Beeny.

I remember we had Sam Walker as a third choice not too long ago and he was quite impressive in the reserve league and on various emergency loans he was sent out on, but I'm sure he's probably moved on by now.

Ideally you want someone in their late 30's, who are happy to play a bit-part role (which I'm against, see Ferreira..) or someone young enough to bide their patience.