Chelsea cannot afford to rest in the transfer market

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree plus I would go a step further. Id also upgrade both Cahill and I might get boo'd for this one - Bane. He gets lost forward and totally forgets hes a defender. Plus as hes not the fastest it takes him ages to track back. I wouldnt mind if he just went forward on occasions but I think he scores a goal and it goes to his head. Plus hes at the yearly renewable age and if we want a team who will gel together and become dominant for awhile we need to start looking at our back 4. Id have donated my damgleys for Varane to team him and Zouma up but realize its a hard one.

Plus with what looks like some sellings/loans that Mou said wasnt going to happen if he could help it, we will have a smaller squad than we already have.

I hope Im just being a big girls blouse but Im a tad nervous.

What he says is true.
I 've seen the demise of many great teams.

On many occasions it happens when their star has to go because of age. On other occasions because they reached the limit of their budget and decline followed. Some great teams of the past lasted for two-three years, e.g. Ajax 1971-74.

We are in the second category, if we decide to do nothing.
But I think it is logical to go for a 10-15% improvement rather then spend billions of euros. I agree with Madmax's suggestions.

I too think Max is right. Of course we need strengthening and of course Jose knows it, regardless of what he feels constrained to say for public consumption. In fact I read his comments as a virtual admission that we need a raft of new recruits. Remember that in every transfer window we have been through with Jose in charge, every single one, we have signed more players than he originally said we would. This time he has spoken of us needing up to three signings and that's more than he's ever predicted before. Usually he says one, maybe two.

I too think Max is right. Of course we need strengthening and of course Jose knows it, regardless of what he feels constrained to say for public consumption. In fact I read his comments as a virtual admission that we need a raft of new recruits. Remember that in every transfer window we have been through with Jose in charge, every single one, we have signed more players than he originally said we would. This time he has spoken of us needing up to three signings and that's more than he's ever predicted before. Usually he says one, maybe two.

I hope you're blinkin right OFAG

City and United (possibly Arsenal too) will spend big this summer, we must match them, we should know as much as anyone that not refreshing the squad leads to massive problems eventually and if you want to create an era of dominance you cant stand still even for one season.

I have faith we wont make the same mistake as we did in 2010 however despite winning the title comfortably we still have holes in the squad that need adressing, proactive CB, another quality CM (not as defensive as Matic but more astute than Cesc and Rami in that department), maybe an AM a striker, it will not only improve our first team but give us more quality depth of trusted players which we lacked this time.

As Cechs replacement Begovic is ideal but realistically we will probably get Ruddy or Green, defence Varane's the dream but realistically Alderwierld would be a top addition, we need a DCB than can stand on his own two feet with JT out because lets be honest the Cahill-Zouma combo has been anything but convicing in the all be it limited time theve had togetherr, CM Pogba ideally but again might have to look elsewhere, strikerr looks set to be Falcao, guess on a loan we cant lose.

Clyne/Stones and a good depth player to be extra greedy.

Basically last decade we didn't improve when we were on top, we must this time, we are heading in a very great path, but we ain't there yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I completely agree with the thread, we must not repeat the transfer dealings and approach of 2010/2011 after winning the league. We had a miserable season and God knows how we were second in the league. There s no hunger from players, no magic, no energy.. It was painful watching us.

All teams in PL will reinforce a lot and will also look to make our lives miserable.

I feel we should bring 4 players at least :

GK (Begovic)

Fullback

DM (Song, Schneiderlin)

CF (Falcao)

But then again that's just to KEEP our squad depth as Cech, Mikel, Luis and Drogba are all (almost) gone.

The names mentioned shouldn't cost that much so I feel we can also go in for another big name deal.

like i have said already people need to forget about having a window like last summer with Cesc and Costa coming in, Jose will more than likely use the same 11 and sign some more squad players that he can trust. Ill be amazed if we have a massive deal this summer. Dont get me wrong i would love a massive player in the Pogba range but just dont see it. Can see us signing players in the Turan range players that will make good squad players that Jose can trust more to come on and help make a difference