Toby Alderweireld

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would Toby Alderweireld be a good player for our squad?

• Yes, he can become a starter here
    • Yes, he would be a decent squad member for our 60+ games
    • No, not at all

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2018 at 2:25 AM, the wes said:

Tottenham are resigned to losing Belgian defender Toby Alderweireld, 29, this summer but will demand 50m euros (£44m). (HLN - in Dutch)

We should be all over this deal 

16 hours ago, the wes said:

Chelsea have joined the race to sign Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld, 29, who has a £25m release clause in his contract. (Mirror)

Conflicting reports, how can they demand 44m if his release clause is 25m? Are there release clauses in England at all? I'm inclined to believe the Dutch report more, if Mirror were right then we'd have heard about somebody activating that clause by now.

On 3/21/2018 at 8:25 AM, the wes said:

Tottenham are resigned to losing Belgian defender Toby Alderweireld, 29, this summer but will demand 50m euros (£44m). (HLN - in Dutch)

We should be all over this deal 

Feel like this boat has sailed years ago. Should have signed him when Atletico let him go but we didn't. At the moment, we're kinda stocked on center backs - Christensen, Rudiger, Cahill, Luiz, Zouma and even Azpi as well as Ampadu - especially if/when we go back to a back 4 next season. Don't even know what the club's plans are moving forward but unless we decide to sell Cahill/Luiz/Zouma, I don't see the point of signing Alderweireld. 

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Feel like this boat has sailed years ago. Should have signed him when Atletico let him go but we didn't. At the moment, we're kinda stocked on center backs - Christensen, Rudiger, Cahill, Luiz, Zouma and even Azpi as well as Ampadu - especially if/when we go back to a back 4 next season. Don't even know what the club's plans are moving forward but unless we decide to sell Cahill/Luiz/Zouma, I don't see the point of signing Alderweireld. 

I think the days of Luiz and Cahill are or will be numbered soon. In a back 4 Azpi cannot be considered a CB, so that leaves us with only Christensen, Rüdiger and Zouma looking ahead, with Zouma's future being in doubt. That's incredibly weak tbh, somebody like Toby would help a great deal. Remember, we still pursued Van Dijk despite having all those defenders. We are also being linked to Koulibaly again, so there is a good chance the club will go for a CB.

1 minute ago, manpe said:

I think the days of Luiz and Cahill are or will be numbered soon. In a back 4 Azpi cannot be considered a CB, so that leaves us with only Christensen, Rüdiger and Zouma looking ahead, with Zouma's future being in doubt. That's incredibly weak tbh, somebody like Toby would help a great deal. Remember, we still pursued Van Dijk despite having all those defenders.

Yeah, I mean if we sell Luiz/Cahill, then I can see the logic in going after Alderweireld. Regarding Van Dijk, did we still pursue him after signing Rudiger or was that before? Can't remember the timeline of events. :lol:  If we still wanted him after getting Rudiger, then it might have meant Conte didn't really want Christensen but was forced to after not being able to sign Van Dijk?

Yeah, I mean if we sell Luiz/Cahill, then I can see the logic in going after Alderweireld. Regarding Van Dijk, did we still pursue him after signing Rudiger or was that before? Can't remember the timeline of events. [emoji38]  If we still wanted him after getting Rudiger, then it might have meant Conte didn't really want Christensen but was forced to after not being able to sign Van Dijk?
I remember being linked to him in January before pool scooped him up, but could have easily been paper bullshit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

On 22/3/2018 at 5:37 PM, manpe said:

Conflicting reports, how can they demand 44m if his release clause is 25m? Are there release clauses in England at all? I'm inclined to believe the Dutch report more, if Mirror were right then we'd have heard about somebody activating that clause by now.

That clause will activate if Spurs single handed extend his contract for another year this summer.

So they sell big this summer or let him leave on a free summer ‘20.

Or they extend untill summer ‘21but he will have a clause of only 25m£.

Either way theire hands are tight.

Psg also after him reports here say

21 hours ago, !Hazard! said:

I'd rather go after de Vrij who's out of contract, years younger and equally talented

Good player with good potential and as you've said younger yes but Alderweireld is one of the best CBs in Europe. 25m would be an absolute bargain.  

On 3/24/2018 at 4:02 PM, milka said:

Not fair comparisons tbh. All those transfers were made in recent windows when the market had become ridiculous. Azpi of Marseille in today's market would cost at least 20m for English clubs and he wasn't an established player back then, wasn't that good as he is now. Initially a bench player for us, we made him. If we sold him now, we'd ask for 50m too the least. Really good scouting and smart business for sure, possibly the best business we've ever done, but not really comparable to the circumstances under which those mentioned record signings were made.

Not fair comparisons tbh. All those transfers were made in recent windows when the market had become ridiculous. Azpi of Marseille in today's market would cost at least 20m for English clubs and he wasn't an established player back then, wasn't that good as he is now. Initially a bench player for us, we made him. If we sold him now, we'd ask for 50m too the least. Really good scouting and smart business for sure, possibly the best business we've ever done, but not really comparable to the circumstances under which those mentioned record signings were made.

Think it just goes to show there is almost no value in the market now

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

CB is the least of our concerns.  Don't really need any more numbers back there unless we are selling Zouma.

Selling Zouma and getting Alderwierld would be great business.

8 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

CB is the least of our concerns.  Don't really need any more numbers back there unless we are selling Zouma.

Even if we sell Zouma, we have enough CBs in the team, especially if we revert to a back 4. But if we decide to sell Cahill, Luiz, then it becomes a different story. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You