Ashley Cole

Madmax

Shaw has 1 assist this season, Cole has 2 in less than half the games.

I'd have taken Baines and Cole if I actually wanted to try to win the World Cup this year, but this decision is all about four years down the line....except we're taking Lamps as well.

Being good offensively is much more than having assists. If you watched Southampton you'd agree that Shaw has been good in the attacking end of the pitch whereas Cole has not really been bombing forward for a few years now. Even when Cole was better offensively in his prime he never got much assists because his crossing was shit even then, but it was all about the link-up between him and the attacking players in the team.

For Cole's place Hodgson had two great alternatives in Baines and Shaw but which younger player would you say should have been taken in Lampard's place if the plan was to integrate younger players in the team? Cleverley? :lol:

Being good offensively is much more than having assists. If you watched Southampton you'd agree that Shaw has been good in the attacking end of the pitch whereas Cole has not really been bombing forward for a few years now. Even when Cole was better offensively in his prime he never got much assists because his crossing was shit even then, but it was all about the link-up between him and the attacking players in the team.

For Cole's place Hodgson had two great alternatives in Baines and Shaw but which younger player would you say should have been taken in Lampard's place if the plan was to integrate younger players in the team? Cleverley? :lol:

I like Shaw going forward but he's not that much better than Ashley....YET. I have no problem with taking Lampard because I think he's the best choice for right now but that same logic should've applied to Cole as well.

It's muddled thinking as usual from The FA.

Worrying that we are left with Betrand and Patrick.. both good going forward but Berty always seems to make a mistake.. Hopefully he's ironed that out, either that or we're going to buy someone.

I think Shaw is too young for Van Gaal to bring in first choice, honestly it leaves them so open down that side, not sure if people have watched him but defensively.. its not very good.

I like Shaw going forward but he's not that much better than Ashley....YET. I have no problem with taking Lampard because I think he's the best choice for right now but that same logic should've applied to Cole as well.

It's muddled thinking as usual from The FA.

Sure if you believe Cole to be the best option out of the three then fair enough, I got to respect that opinion even though I don't agree. For me, both Baines and Shaw have been showing much better form for a couple of years now and especially with Cole's performances at Chelsea leading to him being benched for a good six months or so while the other two were earning praise week-in week-out in the PL I considered Cole being left out a no-brainer.

Lampard is included because he is no doubt the best choice for his position and unlike with Cole's situation that isn't even up for debate. His club form hasn't exactly been too good either but if he's up against Cleverley for the place in the team then it's really much easier to call him up than getting Cole who was competing with two of the best left-backs in the league. I think James Ward-Prowse might have been a good shout if the plan was to take a youngster in midfield like Hodgson did with Shaw in defense, but maybe this summer is a little too early for JWP.

It's a real shame I would have liked him to stay but I'm not that surprised that he hasn't been offered a contract. It really is a shame I liked him and thought he was a great player, ah well don't know what to say :(

I just really hope he's replaced with a worthy player.

We'd have many of the same problems next season with 2 fullbacks who contribute nil going forward.

Harsh. Think we're perfectly capable of winning the league with Azpi at left-back and Ivanovic at right-back.

The latest rumour is that Ashley was offered a contract but on severely reduced wages and combined with the lack of playing time he simply wasn't interested which is fair enough. JT accepted his pay cut and Lamps is apparently mulling his options over which also include his wife's media career.

All rumours though.

Imagine he went on and become the best LB in BPL again for Liverpool, that would be Pirlo style fuck up by us, even worse than Milan.

Lol wouldn't be able to blame Cole, huh? That would be all on us. Kinda want it to happen, kinda don't.

Lol wouldn't be able to blame Cole, huh? That would be all on us. Kinda want it to happen, kinda don't.

Best solution for me would be whoever we sign to replace Cole or Dave step up and have a great season as well so Cole isn't missed. Then we win the BPL and Liverpool only finish in top 4 so in theory Cole's absence doesn't make that much difference.