test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edetarod

Greatest Movie Of All Time

Started by edetarod,

96 posts in this topic

Never again will I watch that film.

Dude, I'm not gonna watch that film, Period! I love Ghibli but I can't handle sad movies. I've steered clear of it.

Dude, I'm not gonna watch that film, Period! I love Ghibli but I can't handle sad movies. I've steered clear of it.

I don't blame you. It is a fantastic film but there is nothing to take a away from it aside from being sad.

Have you read the manga version? It's the best.

No, I have not. I hear the movie only covers the first half.

My top ten:

Godfather, 12 Angry Men, Life is Beautiful, Seven Samurai, Das Boot, Pulp Fiction, Shining, Vertigo, On the Waterfront, Good Will Hunting.

I remember everything.

I feel like Grave of the fireflies has to be watched more then once. First time watching the movie is complete agony, words can't describe the sorrow I felt. Second time you appreciate the movie, and you see the beauty And marvel in their great characters. For example the opening scene is honestly arguably the best intro. it is absolutely gorgeous when the janitor throws the fruit tin can and the screen fils up with clouds of light and the hunting musical score starts.Then we see Setsuko ghost, she attempts to run to Seita corpse only to be stopped by Seita tap on the shoulder from behind. Her expression is exquisite when she sees him. It is truly beautiful to see both of them healthy, clean, and at peace.

Not a religious person but moments like that you hope there is a heaven, I am probably going to hell but for people who have suffered so much in this world there needs to be a place for happiness in the after life. They deserve it.

iseah100 likes this

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey

2)Spirited Away.

3) The Tree of Life

4) Persona

5) Andrei Rublev

6) Princess Mononoke

7) The Mirror

8) There Will be Blood

9) The Good the Bad and the Ugly

10) Harakiri

These is my top 10 favorite films.

You my friend have good taste in movies.

1-) Lord of the Rings (all the series)

2-) Hobbit (all the series)

3-) Saving Private Ryan

4-) American History X

5-) Green Street Hooligans

6-) Grown Ups (all the series)

7-) This is England

8-) Ted

9-) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

10-) Invention of Lying

Essentially any of the Studio Ghibli films that have are directed by Hiyao Miyazaki are near-perfect.

some recommendations for you : Kafka by Soderbergh (with Jeremy Irons), Insomnia (the original, Norwegian film), Lost Highway, Naked Lunch, The Host (Korean), Oldboy (Korea), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and the subsequent Swedish productions), Videodrome, Kwaidan, The Samurai Trilogy, Strange Days, Solaris (original with good subtitles, and maybe the American version), The Devils, Santa Sangre, Stalker, Revanche, The AntiChrist, Last of the Mohicans, Funny Games, Altered States, some others: Edge of Tomorrow, Dredd, Punisher War Zone, La Haine, The Princess and the Warrior, Wings of Desire, Far Away So Close, Irreversible... I've also watched some vampire flix recently that were good enough: Only Lovers Left Alive, Byzantium (and a couple others).

Do you have a favorite Miyazaki/Ghibli production?

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey

2)Spirited Away.

3) The Tree of Life

4) Persona

5) Andrei Rublev

6) Princess Mononoke

7) The Mirror

8) There Will be Blood

9) The Good the Bad and the Ugly

10) Harakiri

These is my top 10 favorite films.

something that I watched more than ~13 years ago that might have been almost as torturous as Persona (forgive my memory if I'm wrong): The Piano Teacher, by Hanneke.

some recommendations for you : Kafka by Soderbergh (with Jeremy Irons), Insomnia (the original, Norwegian film), Lost Highway, Naked Lunch, The Host (Korean), Oldboy (Korea), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and the subsequent Swedish productions), Videodrome, Kwaidan, The Samurai Trilogy, Strange Days, Solaris (original with good subtitles, and maybe the American version), The Devils, Santa Sangre, Stalker, Revanche, The AntiChrist, Last of the Mohicans, Funny Games, Altered States, some others: Edge of Tomorrow, Dredd, Punisher War Zone, La Haine, The Princess and the Warrior, Wings of Desire, Far Away So Close, Irreversible... I've also watched some vampire flix recently that were good enough: Only Lovers Left Alive, Byzantium (and a couple others).

Do you have a favorite Miyazaki/Ghibli production?

I've seen a lot of those films. You've listed some fantastic films.

My favourite Miyazaki film would have to be Princess Mononoke. It is hard to choose though.

quickpassnmove likes this