test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chelsea blue

FA Youth Cup 2015

Started by chelsea blue,

176 posts in this topic

We are complaining about our youth policy, think about Man City - they also reached FA Youth Cup final, and their only player born in 94 or younger who played in senior team is Jose Pozo - played in 3 games.

But their Academy barely crawl, Chelsea's is established for a long time now.

It's 6th final in the last 8 years. Remarkable to say the least, it's unbelievable especially because it's a cup competition when so many things can happen down the road, especially one-day-offs.

Surprised ? I'm not, because I follow those boys for a long time now. I smelled this thing right after Chelsea conceded, especially considering that all 3 Spurs goals weren't hugely deserved. I was sure that we will fight our way back in it, just not at such short period of time.

When our youths are on the roll, it's a joy to watch. Only have my problems with Solanke-Brown-Abraham trio, because it lacks creativity, I don't know why we cannot put Boga and Musonda together, it would be even more juicy to see those two work their magic at the same time.

I hope though, more than anything else in this campaign, that this Academy will get the recognition on European stage by winning the Uefa Youth League.

PS: I know that someone is tempted to quote this and whine about our youth policy and say that it all doesn't matter because they will all end up in league 1, but please spare us that negativity just for tonight and let us enjoy this great comeback. Thanks. Love Nour

Aren't you usually the one that says that? ;)

But their Academy barely crawl, Chelsea's is established for a long time now.

It's 6th final in the last 8 years. Remarkable to say the least, it's unbelievable especially because it's a cup competition when so many things can happen down the road, especially one-day-offs.

Surprised ? I'm not, because I follow those boys for a long time now. I smelled this thing right after Chelsea conceded, especially considering that all 3 Spurs goals weren't hugely deserved. I was sure that we will fight our way back in it, just not at such short period of time.

When our youths are on the roll, it's a joy to watch. Only have my problems with Solanke-Brown-Abraham trio, because it lacks creativity, I don't know why we cannot put Boga and Musonda together, it would be even more juicy to see those two work their magic at the same time.

I hope though, more than anything else in this campaign, that this Academy will get the recognition on European stage by winning the Uefa Youth League.

While I completely agree with the bits in bold I can't say that I really believed we'd find a way back into the tie from 3-0 down or that all three Spurs goals were undeserved. I thought we played poorly at White Hart Lane. (Doesn't that sound strange? Still, we can't really justify calling it by its more traditional name any more :() For me, Tottenham fully deserved to win that first leg and I felt that even the late second goal was not a complete injustice.

Even before the goal last night we were playing much better but we only managed to carve out half chances and we weren't getting Boga into the game at all. Their goal was entirely against the run of play but I didn't see much reason for confidence at that point. Once they scored however it was a whole different story. The front three, who were Frankly rubbish in the first leg, sparked into life, Charlie Colkett was being Charlie Colkett, Jeremie began to complete some dribbles and finish them with neat passes and both full backs pushed high, locking Spurs in and providing plenty of danger from wide. It was the best spell I'd seen from one of our development sides since the 21s dominated a very strong Man Utd team for a good chunk of the game last month.

Also our 'new' academy is more mature than City's but, in the time scale of these things, I wouldn't say it's been around a long time. Not long enough for example, for a lad from the youngest recruitment age group to become old enough for genuine first team consideration.

Aren't you usually the one that says that? ;)

No, you're mistaking criticism of the usually ridiculous and unrealistic expectations of youth system and over-hyping of youngsters (ex: "Chalobah is already better than Ramires" "Start RLC in the league cup final") with discrediting the achievements of our youth players at youth level. I'm always a big enthusiast of youth football and try to follow our youngsters as closely as possible.

Also our 'new' academy is more mature than City's but, in the time scale of these things, I wouldn't say it's been around a long time. Not long enough for example, for a lad from the youngest recruitment age group to become old enough for genuine first team consideration.

No ? The Cobham section for Reserves and the Academy was opened in 2008 but for sure "the grand scheme" of running the Academy and age groups from U8 to U21 was accomplished a couple of years earlier.

I think the fruits of this 10 years plan are now. Solanke, Boga, RLC, Baker, Swift et al are products of this grand scheme. Especially those boys from '97 because in crucial time of their development (11-15 years of age) they were already training in shining new Academy buildings.

So "Chelsea made" products from thoughts and plans made decade ago are here and now already.

killer1257 likes this

No ? The Cobham section for Reserves and the Academy was opened in 2008 but for sure "the grand scheme" of running the Academy and age groups from U8 to U21 was accomplished a couple of years earlier.

I think the fruits of this 10 years plan are now. Solanke, Boga, RLC, Baker, Swift et al are products of this grand scheme. Especially those boys from '97 because in crucial time of their development (11-15 years of age) they were already training in shining new Academy buildings.

So "Chelsea made" products from thoughts and plans made decade ago are here and now already.

Thanks BCS. A number of points: -

You say, "for sure 'the grand scheme' of running the Academy and age groups from U8 to U21 was accomplished a couple of years before [2008].", so that's 2006. Well I don't agree that it was. Neil Bath himself said in 2007 that the aim was to have the academy running at full speed from 2008. It was only then that we could start offering an attractive prospectus to recruits. Before then we had acquired a poor reputation which had to be shaken off. Remember Jose himself had described the 'old' academy as not good enough and said that there were no players there of the required quality. We needed not just the buildings, but the personnel and the systems, like the integrated educational plan, in place before we could start to change our image in the minds of parents and their sons.

Even if I'm wrong about that and the new academy was fully functioning in 2006 the youngest recruits would have been 8 then; 17 now. Still, as I said, too young for genuine first team consideration.

Why the focus on the youngest age group? Because I'd say that only the players who have had all of their football education at Cobham can be considered genuine Chelsea trainees and only if such players come through to first team level could Cobham take all of the credit for it. For example, current propect Charly Musonda joined at age 15. Most of his education was received elsewhere so, in my mind, no way will it be a full gold star to Cobham if he graduates to the first team. This brings me to your list of players...

Swift joined at 14, Baker is pre new academy and the others are still too young. I even include RLC in that since Jose reiterated this afternoon, in so many words, that he's not ready. The boss said RLC isn't playing because he needs to be protected. That's just code for not ready in my book; Zouma played as a 19 year old.

It's been my opinion all along that we will only be able to start judging Cobhan's work over the next few years. I think everyone will agree that they've been doing better, they've brought through a number of young professionals, a couple of whom are playing in the Premier League but now the academy is trying to help young lads climb mount Fujiyama. That's a big task.

Barbara and Blue Colored Sky like this

Thanks BCS. A number of points: -

You say, "for sure 'the grand scheme' of running the Academy and age groups from U8 to U21 was accomplished a couple of years before [2008].", so that's 2006. Well I don't agree that it was. Neil Bath himself said in 2007 that the aim was to have the academy running at full speed from 2008. It was only then that we could start offering an attractive prospectus to recruits. Before then we had acquired a poor reputation which had to be shaken off. Remember Jose himself had described the 'old' academy as not good enough and said that there were no players there of the required quality. We needed not just the buildings, but the personnel and the systems, like the integrated educational plan, in place before we could start to change our image in the minds of parents and their sons.

Even if I'm wrong about that and the new academy was fully functioning in 2006 the youngest recruits would have been 8 then; 17 now. Still, as I said, too young for genuine first team consideration.

Why the focus on the youngest age group? Because I'd say that only the players who have had all of their football education at Cobham can be considered genuine Chelsea trainees and only if such players come through to first team level could Cobham take all of the credit for it. For example, current propect Charly Musonda joined at age 15. Most of his education was received elsewhere so, in my mind, no way will it be a full gold star to Cobham if he graduates to the first team. This brings me to your list of players...

Swift joined at 14, Baker is pre new academy and the others are still too young. I even include RLC in that since Jose reiterated this afternoon, in so many words, that he's not ready. The boss said RLC isn't playing because he needs to be protected. That's just code for not ready in my book; Zouma played as a 19 year old.

It's been my opinion all along that we will only be able to start judging Cobhan's work over the next few years. I think everyone will agree that they've been doing better, they've brought through a number of young professionals, a couple of whom are playing in the Premier League but now the academy is trying to help young lads climb mount Fujiyama. That's a big task.

I give you a like for this post so in no way of things I'm trying to argue with that.

Fair enough, I don't know how exactly to start counting, from 2008 or earlier. I thought from interviews I read with Neil Bath that the thing was set in motion before 2008 and they were settled already when the opening of Cobham took place.

One way or another, the crucial time for youth development is between 11 and 15.

And we already have players who were training in the new Academy during their most important time of moulding.

Solanke, Boga, RLC - they are the first fruits of that. I think all 3 of them are going to step up into the senior football from next season, either on loan or at the first team. We'll see how things turn out with them. Though I agree we can't start giving grades yet.

OhForAGreavsie likes this

Our Under-18s will face Manchester City in the FA Youth Cup final over two legs.

The first leg will take place on Monday 20 April at the Academy Stadium in Manchester.

The second leg, meanwhile, will be played at Stamford Bridge on Monday 27 April.

Both games will be broadcast live on Chelsea TV

Ticket details for both matches will be announced in due course.

Muzchap likes this

FA Youth Cup final second leg ticket details announced

The ticket selling details for our FA Youth Cup final second leg against Manchester City have been announced.

Tickets for the game, which takes place at Stamford Bridge on Monday 27 April, kick-off 7.45pm, will be sold as follows:

Tickets are now on general sale (maximum of 10 per person) priced at £5 for adults and £3 for juniors and seniors.

Tickets purchased online or via the call centre before 12noon on Thursday 23 April will be posted out.

Tickets purchased after 12noon on 23 April will need to be collected at the box office on the day of the game.

Tickets will go off sale online and via the call centre at 5pm on Friday 24 April.

Tickets will then remain on sale at the box office until 4pm on Monday 27 April.

Disabled supporters should contact the disability department to purchase tickets.

Juveniles under the age of 14 will NOT be permitted entry unless accompanied by a person over the age of 18.

All ticket sales are subject to availability.