Diego Costa

Spike

If Costa is as bad as you make him out to be what he has achieved in the last 3 seasons is absolutely mind blowing then! a player who apparently can't pass, can't hold up the ball, can't dribble, has a bad touch, always falls over, and yet virtually every striker on the planet other then maybe Suarez would dream of achieving what Costa has in the last 3 seasons.

for a player so apparently limited he isn't doing to bad for himself. I wish more of our players were as limited as Costa, maybe they would have done as well as he has over the last 3 seasons.

fair enough.

GC has won an FA cup, a CL, a europa, a PL, a carling cup since he joined us 3 and a half years ago (i think).

so that means he is not limited? he does not have flaws? he is the best defender on the planet?

u see, why i would have a problem with the srgument u just gave?

fair enough.

GC has won an FA cup, a CL, a europa, a PL, a carling cup since he joined us 3 and a half years ago (i think).

so that means he is not limited? he does not have flaws? he is the best defender on the planet?

u see, why i would have a problem with the srgument u just gave?

what has Gary Cahill winning trophies with Chelsea got to do with anything? that has no relevance to how well the 'limited' Diego Costa has performed in the last 3 seasons.

what has Gary Cahill winning trophies with Chelsea got to do with anything? that has no relevance to how well the 'limited' Diego Costa has performed in the last 3 seasons.

your argument is that costa has won and acheived a lot in the last 3 seasons in football. meaning that somehow makes his so apparent technical limitations forgivable orthe fact that people calling him limited as hogwash, right?

well, so has GC. he has won literally everything in his 3 and a half years at chelsea. he is a good defender. but has his limitations too. get the analogy?

No I am not talking about just what trophies he won, but how key he was to his teams success. Like in 2012/13 he didn't even play as a striker, he played on the wing or behind Falcao, he still scored 20 goals and got 8 assists that season, guiding Atletico to the Copa Del Rey, scoring in every round including the final against Real Madrid. And then in 2013/14 scoring 36 goals, with 27 coming in La Liga (1 less then Messi) en route to winning the La Liga title, an incredible achievement for them, as well as getting to the CL final where Costa scored 8 goals and probably would have won it had he been fully fit for the final, then he moves to a new league settles immediately, scores for fun en route to the PL title, as well as scoring at Wembley in the League Cup final.

Not bad for such an awful/limited striker.

So how on earth you are comparing a player who has done all that to Cahill because he was simply part of a successful team is bizarre really.

so when do the number of goals a player scores becomes an indicator of his technical ability.

chicharito scored 20 goals and 5 assists in 10/11 for united in 2609 minutes (CL finalist, PL winner)

he scored 18 goals and had 8 assists in 12/13 and united won the PL.

that makes him technically proficient?

just like last season, costa scored goals, and thank you to him for that. he was a major part in our PL win. but like i said before, lets call a spade a spade. when not scoring goals, he can be useless. he simply is not able to add much to the team if he is not on the score sheet.

awful comparison, Hernández is a goal poacher, he is a different type of player to Costa, and you just ignore the fact that Costa didn't even play as a striker in 2012/13, and Costa still outscored the goal poacher Hernández, that season. Now that speaks volumes.

Also last season Costa completed more passes then Suarez and Lewandowski, he made more key passes then Aguero, Benzema and Lewandowski and created more chances then Aguero and Lewandowski all while playing less games.

But yeah Costa's link up play is non existent right?

hmmm.. lets see
costa's pass% - 75% CL, 78% PL
aguero's pass% - 82% CL, 86% PL
if you are using stats, atleast use them objectively instead of highligthing your argument.
number of passes mean jacksquat. we had more number of passes. yet we got owned last night. i am sure costa would have had a lot of "completed passes" last night. so thats a good thing?
if costa is not a poacher and needs to be compared with proper strikers like benzema, aguero, suarez, hell even giroud when we talk about link up play. he is levels below them.
also, 24 year old playing as a winger in definitely a weaker league is comparable to a 22 year old scoring 20 goals in his first season in PL? that does speak volumes.

Look Costa simply isn't WC by any stretch of the imagination. I couldn't care less about his goal record, Mario Gomez also had an insane record a few years ago as did Huntelaar.

You say he didn't get any chances but I remember Hazard & Ivanovic putting him through in each half & him making a complete mess out of it. Unless he's spoonfed he usually doesn't score. World Class strikers can create their own chances for themselves & others. Costa can't. He gets regularly bossed by defenders that can match his overrated physicality as well. None of that aggro nonsense works in England.

Would Barca, Bayern or Madrid sign a footballer like Diego Costa? We all know the answer.

This is a World Class striker. Zero goals yet still put in an elite performance.

It's funny you mention Drogba, as it took him 6 years and a leading us to a double to win over a fair chunk of the supporters.

After Moscow in 2008 very few were that bothered if he stayed or went, similar in 2009 to a lesser extent, in fact a bit like some with Costa now they wanted a more "flashier" or "likeable" striker.

He scored 20 in 26. That's an outstanding ratio whether you like it or not. 36 goals the season before that, arguably the most important player in his team - fired his team to the title and to the CL final. Before that, played out wide and scored 20. 5 games into the season and apparently Lukaku is a better striker than him.

I'm taking everything you say about Costa with a pinch of salt anyway, since you think Lukaku is a better player than him.

no he was not. i remember villa getting injured midway at a point in the season and ATM struggled a lot. costa's injury barely affected them. they even eliminated barca without costa.

again, no one is denying he is a goal scorer. but saying he is on level with aguero and lewa is being delusional.

nowhere near that.

as for his all round game, u can take it with a pinch of salt, pepper and sugar, but it is hardly any better than lukaku. and its not just 5 games. its been a the whole 2015.

People use to say similar about Drogba pre double season, good striker but not on the same level as Eto'o, Villa, even Torres etc etc, it took him dragging us to a double for the him to get the credit he deserved.

Drogba didn't get that credit because he was not the "purist" or most "flashy" choice of striker, similar is happening here imo, Costa may be off form at the minute and he may not be the most pleasing on the eye footballer but lets not forget what he brings us when he's on song.

and that is the point. DD never needed to be on "song" to be useful for the team.

his aerial presence and his general character always seemed like to be a positive for the team. unlike costa. something as trivial as shielding the ball for a minute at the corner. costa seems to be no where near that level.

no he was not. i remember villa getting injured midway at a point in the season and ATM struggled a lot. costa's injury barely affected them. they even eliminated barca without costa.

again, no one is denying he is a goal scorer. but saying he is on level with aguero and lewa is being delusional.

nowhere near that.

as for his all round game, u can take it with a pinch of salt, pepper and sugar, but it is hardly any better than lukaku. and its not just 5 games. its been a the whole 2015.

In the second half of last season (2015) he scored 7 goals and assisted 2 times in the PL. In 10 games. He wasn't poor. He was struggling with injuries but still managed to get those numbers.

PS. Quite funny how you've gone from Lukaku's all round play being much better than Costa's to Costa's not being that much better...

Lukaku could never play on the wing and be a vital cog in the system like Costa was in 2012/13.

and that is the point. DD never needed to be on "song" to be useful for the team.

his aerial presence and his general character always seemed like to be a positive for the team. unlike costa. something as trivial as shielding the ball for a minute at the corner. costa seems to be no where near that level.

Sorry, this isn't true either. How many times in Didier's career did people get annoyed at him for not being up for it enough? People are forgetting Drogba's bad bits. It was always about whether he was in the mood or not.

I know Didier's your favourite player but stop acting like he had no flaws.