Diego Costa

Spike

As much as his goals are fantastic to see after a couple of years of Torres' 'will he return to form or won't he' shambles, it's his work ethic and desire that makes me a massive fan of the guy.

He never gives up, which is one thing that some of our strikers in the past have. You know when he crosses that line he is going to give his all for the team, not just through scoring goals but through motivation and letting the defenders know he's there. Hell, he even played peacekeeper for the whole Brana diving thing today, something which made me and my dad laugh our asses off.

It took seeing him in the flesh against Hull City to give him full credit in my mind, the whole game he didn't give up, he was running, closing down defenders and constantly making runs so that midfielders had an 'out-ball'. He was like a super aggressive Hernan Crespo, a huge compliment from me because I found Hernan to be a joy to watch, his movement was sublime.

So hats off Diego, we have a proper striker at last. Having the Drog around at the same time is just an epic bonus! :D

As much as his goals are fantastic to see after a couple of years of Torres' 'will he return to form or won't he' shambles, it's his work ethic and desire that makes me a massive fan of the guy.

He never gives up, which is one thing that some of our strikers in the past have. You know when he crosses that line he is going to give his all for the team, not just through scoring goals but through motivation and letting the defenders know he's there. Hell, he even played peacekeeper for the whole Brana diving thing today, something which made me and my dad laugh our asses off.

It took seeing him in the flesh against Hull City to give him full credit in my mind, the whole game he didn't give up, he was running, closing down defenders and constantly making runs so that midfielders had an 'out-ball'. He was like a super aggressive Hernan Crespo, a huge compliment from me because I found Hernan to be a joy to watch, his movement was sublime.

So hats off Diego, we have a proper striker at last. Having the Drog around at the same time is just an epic bonus! :D

Yeah! With Diego we've finally gotten a Centre forward definitely huge.

We can be very quiet having a Centre forward like Diego. His TOP.

What did I say? People love to bitch and moan, the first chance they get.

Some marvellous link up play today.

I don't think anyone truly thinks his link up play is poor. He is a very good striker at linking on the edge of the box; people have just been spoilt by having Drogba as our target man for 8/9 years. I've never seen a better forward at linking the play than Drogba, and I'd say that even in his old age, Drogba, as the technically superior of the two, is still probably slightly better than Diego. Diego is good technically, but he's not the most fantastically gifted footballer; a fine striker nonetheless, thanks to his excellent movement off the ball. He brings a different style of target-man play to Drogba - and it is almost as effective as King Didier ever was in his prime. The difference is Diego is more of a poacher than a producer - he'll score more goals than Drogba, but Drogba will always set more up. In Costa we have a superstar on our hands who will easily score 120+ goals for us if he stays at Chelsea for the next 5/6 years.

Took his goal extremely well yesterday. Absolutely clinical finish. If that was last season, we would not have scored that opportunity.

Wouldn't even have that opportunity because Torres would have lost the ball in the build up to the goal :)

He's a killer and a fantastic finisher but look at 6:09 in this video. Quick return pass there and Eden's through on goal. Drogba plays that pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivjZakOZngg

Exactly what I'm talking about when I say his link up play is shit. As I said before his hold up play is excellent but he's terrible at combination football. That's simply something he has to improve on as Cesc, Hazard and Oscar all thrive on 1 touch play.

No idea why people are up in arms whenever you criticize Diego btw. Hazard, Cesc, Oscar, Willian etc all receive criticism, Costa shouldn't be exempt from it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-EOdOgmQn0

Nice to see Jose touch on this in his post match interview yesterday. Probably Diego's best all round game yesterday, made some excellent passes.

He's absolutely and utterly useless when he's not scoring. Hold up play nonexistent, link up play abysmally poor etc etc. it has reached a point that I expect him to lose the ball whenever he's in possession with someone marking him. Remy should have been introduced much earlier.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him start today tbh. Save Diego for Thursday to unleash him on Spurs.

No guarantee on Diego's fitness, he wasn't as mobile as usual (not sure "mobile" is the right word to use...) on Boxing Day.

:rolleyes:

He didn't look fit on Friday and he looked even worse today. Needs a break.

You guys are unbelievable.

If he scores, then he's one of top 5 strikers in the world, absolute gem etc etc.

Two days later, if he doesn't score, then he's back on being absolutely useless and shitty.

Sometimes you really act like spoiled brats on this forum, it's quite annoying.

This... He didn't score today but he's no welbeck ffs