Post-season review - Chelsea 2013/14

BlueLion.

Success or Failure?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel the season went? Rate out of 5...

• 1/5 - a terrible season, we fell well short of expectations.
    • 2/5 - not a great season. Some positives but overall a disappointment.
    • 3/5 - average. Not bad for a team in transition but would have liked some silverware nonetheless!
    • 4/5 - good. A positive blueprint for the future has been laid, and there were some famous wins as well (6-0 vs Arsenal, 2-0 vs PSG, etc.)
    • 5/5 - exceeding expectations! I didn't think we'd come close to achieving what we did! Bring on next season!

You're being utterly ridiculous if you actually think that Everton are in the same position as us. Seriously, you're either trolling or you're stupid. Martinez has the freedom to take punts on the likes of Barkley, Stones and Deulefeu partly out of lowered expectations and partly out of necessity.

Ake probably will be sent on-loan because he needs it. He's unlikely to get ahead of anyone in the first-team so why not give him first-team experience? Chalobah has a chance next season if Mikel and Lampard do go, plus he's versatile so is good to have on the bench. Bamford needs a Premier League loan next season, whilst Baker has probably outgrown the reserves.

Your arguments now are becoming ridiculous. I asked you when you would've liked to have seen someone like Kalas get a chance and you couldn't answer. There's no point in talking to someone who speaks in generalities without actually talking in real terms.

I think that's best. The funny thing is that no-one seems to agree with you although I'm sure you're the type of person who takes that as a badge of honour thinking it makes your views distinguished, in the same way the guy who daubs his shit on toilet walls thinks he has 'unique artistic vision'. :D

Of course I can take pride in that I'm not the one who has to use personal insults (which lets face it shows you as a petty man who has some disturbing superiorty complex) to get my views across. Of course with your ego being as it is with you being a self proclamined "true fan" becuase you have the the financial advantages of being able to tend home matches then I can't change the fact that you will always have your head in the clouds even when the man you currently defend to death activily chides the way you support them in the stadium

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/15/chelsea-crystal-palace-premier-league-match-report

Of course I can take pride in that I'm not the one who has to use personal insults (which lets face it shows you as a petty man who has some disturbing superiorty complex) to get my views across. Of course with your ego being as it is with you being a self proclamined "true fan" becuase you have the the financial advantages of being able to tend home matches then I can't change the fact that you will always have your head in the clouds even when the man you currently defend to death activily chides the way you support them in the stadium

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/15/chelsea-crystal-palace-premier-league-match-report

He's got a very valid point about the crowd noise, but the funny thing is that whilst you may not resort to insults you do like to lie about me in much the same way Henrique does.

I don't defend Mourinho to death. I have in fact criticised him this season for the Eto'o deal and the Lukaku loan amongst other things. The thing is that I'm prepared to be patient with the man and give him time to turn around a club that has been managed so poorly for the last few years. I'm also grateful to him for completely altering the atmosphere at the Bridge. It was toxic at points last season and fans we actually fighting with each other for the first time I can remember. Now there's a sense of pride back in the club, like we're all pulling together and moving in the right direction behind a man we all love.

That's why I find it so hard to believe people think this season could be such a failure. There's a renewed sense of optimism amongst every Chelsea supporter that I know or randomly bump into, that when you do see fans so insistent on looking for things to criticise that it does make me wonder what these fans want.

Anyway, let's just agree that you disagree with every other Chelsea supporter :yes:

The problem is that as seen many times it just becomes a way of trying to push back the issue of trying to give them chances into the squad for as long as possible. Taking the view that I think that the whole issue of expeirence is just a bollocks excuse that isused to try and justify why they can't get a run in the first team, the problem iswhen do we reach a point where they have the required 'experience' to be given a chance in the team. First its they have no experience at all, so they are shipped out to some lower division team, then its they have no top flight experience, so the club tries to ship them out to one, then its'but they don't have any experience playing for us' or no Champions league experience, so their chances are stalled again, then by that time we buy someone like Zouma (who lates faces was getting massive amounts of hype andalready has over 40 appearances in Ligue 1) who becuase we spent a hefty sum of money (both Zouma and Salah cost usover £20 million pounds) get priority andso we are back to square one.

In all honesty the same arguments are going back and forth and there is no point repeating them, the phase 'agree to disagree' comes to mind now.

Just one thing though, you got it all wrong when it comes to experience mate. No offense at all. 18 yr olds playing against other 18 yr olds doesn't give you a fair assessment. They need to be tested physically as well as tactically and mentally. The reason Zouma and Salah were brought in is not by all means because they are superstars. It is because they have POTENTIAL. i.e they showed the good foundations as far as physicality, mentality and technicality. It does not guarantee them a starting spot. But they show promising signs of development and being future stars. For them to start they would have to take it to a higher level, and earn it. Again they will need time i.e FURTHER EXPERIENCE with the EPL, the system and the rest of their teammates. They will need to have playtime to prove themselves and they actually have to earn that right.

Zouma did pretty well in Ligue 1 and Salah did pretty well in the Swiss league and UCL. Which will be more risky on your opinion, subbing in Zouma or Salah in a game or subbing in a youth who has no experience at all? Please don't tell me it is the same risk cause it ain't :). I am quite sure that if a youth from Chelsea was loaned and shinned, the club will be wanting him on the team, but I don't think he will start, just like Salah, Zouma, Schurrle ( who actually has proved that he can be of use to the squad). Unless that kid shows EXCEPTIONAL attributes, I think he should be loaned, get to play for a higher level than the academy's level. Get to test his physicality and mentality in the way he adapts to a new system. What is there to worry about? If any of those youngsters are good, they will shine and will come back to Chelsea for a shot at the first team. Many other teams do the same thing, not only in football, but other sports too. It is basically minimizing risk (as far as the game and matches are concerned) and better financially.

Rubber bullets - . As per usual you appear on the forum when Chelsea lose, and the main target of your vitriol is Mourinho, though it used to be Drogba/Terry/Lampard -three of Chelseas greatest players ever.

It just seems you want a reaction, and to be noticed as I have never seen anything positive at all. I find it difficult to comprehend you as the usual spastic troll, because your arguments are constructed with a level of articulacy, but by the same token I could never imagine you singing a Chelsea song. If we get a result tonight, lets have a positive post mate, eh ?

And did I just not say yesterday that all of this could be redeemed if we did win the Champions league (and judging by the Man Utd game where Munich showed that they can have off days against mid table clubs like Utd (never thought I would say that) shows we still have a fighting chance). i may not be like many others seeing the future as this bright and happy utopia but that does not mean I still opportunities for us for success (although it seems if I say that I get grouped as a glory hunting supporter)

Unfortunately because I'm incredibly sceptical of the whole issue of where this club is actually going under Mourinho (of course I admit I'm showing much more pessimism then most the majority of Chelsea fans to say the least) and so far nothing is being shown to me so far that I think is to the contrary I can't do anything but make posts that are on the negative sides (of course you can always look on some of the player's pages like hazard, Schuurle and Ramires where (as shocking as it is) I do post positive ideas that sing their praises). The only other option would be to stop posting but that would be defeating the objective of a public forum where opinions (as long as to what like as like you said are constructive) of all forms should be welcomed.

And did I just not say yesterday that all of this could be redeemed if we did win the Champions league (and judging by the Man Utd game where Munich showed that they can have off days against mid table clubs like Utd (never thought I would say that) shows we still have a fighting chance). i may not be like many others seeing the future as this bright and happy utopia but that does not mean I still opportunities for us for success (although it seems if I say that I get grouped as a glory hunting supporter)

Unfortunately because I'm incredibly sceptical of the whole issue of where this club is actually going under Mourinho (of course I admit I'm showing much more pessimism then most the majority of Chelsea fans to say the least) and so far nothing is being shown to me so far that I think is to the contrary I can't do anything but make posts that are on the negative sides (of course you can always look on some of the player's pages like hazard, Schuurle and Ramires where (as shocking as it is) I do post positive ideas that sing their praises). The only other option would be to stop posting but that would be defeating the objective of a public forum where opinions (as long as to what like as like you said are constructive) of all forms should be welcomed.

LOL. Come on mate :) you seriously don't really need to win a trophy to have optimism or be positive. It is just a matter of attitude towards things. That include your club :)

So, do you feel happy when Chelsea win ?

Cannot believe this debate is still going on..... :fainthv9:

As everyone can see from most of the posts and now from the poll, the majority agree it has been a success. End of.

It's April 2nd and there's a possibility of us doing the double still. The clocks have gone forward and we're still in the title race, not shitting ourselves about missing out on the CL.

No-one's started a thread about the 'Next Chelsea Manager' yet (although there's still time), there aren't any crap chants about the manager not caring about us, Mikel is barely getting a mention, one of our players is one of the players of the year and even Barcelona are getting sanctioned by FIFA. :carlo2:

The sun is shining, the birds are singing, it's summer dress weather and we've got the best coach in the world. If you ignore the dippers then it's actually quite a nice time to be a Chelsea supporter.

He's got a very valid point about the crowd noise, but the funny thing is that whilst you may not resort to insults you do like to lie about me in much the same way Henrique does.

I don't defend Mourinho to death. I have in fact criticised him this season for the Eto'o deal and the Lukaku loan amongst other things. The thing is that I'm prepared to be patient with the man and give him time to turn around a club that has been managed so poorly for the last few years. I'm also grateful to him for completely altering the atmosphere at the Bridge. It was toxic at points last season and fans we actually fighting with each other for the first time I can remember. Now there's a sense of pride back in the club, like we're all pulling together and moving in the right direction behind a man we all love.

That's why I find it so hard to believe people think this season could be such a failure. There's a renewed sense of optimism amongst every Chelsea supporter that I know or randomly bump into, that when you do see fans so insistent on looking for things to criticise that it does make me wonder what these fans want.

Anyway, let's just agree that you disagree with every other Chelsea supporter :yes:

I can only form my opinion about you from the way you act on the forum and what you say when arguing with me. Unfortunately resulting to insults about me (which you have done so twice on this thread) does not give way for me having a good opinion of unlike someone such as Mohammed Seif who has been nothing but respectful and kept his language polite and therefore I respect him and his opinions, so forgive me if you accuse me of lying about you.

So, do you feel happy when Chelsea win ?

Yes,but that doesn't mean I'm not still skeptical about how the club is moving forwards and whether we are heading for the right direction. I remember when we won the double under Carlo and at the beginning of the next season when we had thrash West Brom and Wigan 6-0 , there were quite few posters that were incredibly pessimistic of the season and were making a number of posts criticism the squad for its age and complaining about the football we played even after we scored 12 goals in the first two games. People can stil be pessimistic about stuff even when we are on a good form and some people see the future as sunshine and daisies..

It's April 2nd and there's a possibility of us doing the double still. The clocks have gone forward and we're still in the title race, not shitting ourselves about missing out on the CL.

No-one's started a thread about the 'Next Chelsea Manager' yet (although there's still time), there aren't any crap chants about the manager not caring about us, Mikel is barely getting a mention, one of our players is one of the players of the year and even Barcelona are getting sanctioned by FIFA. :carlo2:

The sun is shining, the birds are singing, it's summer dress weather and we've got the best coach in the world. If you ignore the dippers then it's actually quite a nice time to be a Chelsea supporter.

Brings a tear to my eye :cry::D

LOL. Come on mate :) you seriously don't really need to win a trophy to have optimism or be positive. It is just a matter of attitude towards things. That include your club :)

Then again I remember when we won the double under Carlo some people had a pessimistic outlook on the future, that's football for you.

I can only form my opinion about you from the way you act on the forum and what you say when arguing with me. Unfortunately resulting to insults about me (which you have done so twice on this thread) does not give way for me having a good opinion of unlike someone such as Mohammed Seif who has been nothing but respectful and kept his language polite and therefore I respect him and his opinions, so forgive me if you accuse me of lying about you.

Take it easy dude. Texting can seem hostile more than it actually is. I am quite sure nobody is taking things here personally. It is just a matter of opinion and the arguments that are being made for and against. People are just witnessing something that they haven't seen for a while AN IDENTITY of the team. A clear style with certain players forming the backbone of this team. By all means a team that needs work but is moving forward. Facing tough opponents, well established opponents with good tactics and actually beating them. I would personally be a liar if I say that this current form we are in is great. But it is satisfactory compared to what we have been. God willing we might be in the semis of the UCL. If not then we have made it to the top 8 teams in Europe, arguably the top 8 teams in the world. We still have a shot at the EPL title, if we don't get it then atleast with a new team, a new manager and a news system, we have beat the top teams in the STRONGEST league in Europe, we have a set of top youngsters and most of them will get better (giving us a stronger chance of winning a title next season), we have a clear system with Jose Mourinho (who makes mistakes like every human being) and that is by all means progress. People are happy with this progress. Does any Chelsea fan hate titles? I don't think so. But trust me, as you get older you will now that things don't just happen in a flash. You need a plan, with short term and long term objective to reach whatever you want to reach. For us to be the best club out there, to get more trophies more frequently, to have an identity, to build a legacy, have stronger fan base, brand equity......etc you need time and you need to be patient. It is always a success when you are moving towards your goal. It is by all means progress mate. Remember that things that come too fast, usually go away too fast. Again take it easy mate it is only an opinion based on some common sense and logic. :)

Success depends on CFC getting rid of players and buying players too; not just results/silverware. The season's failures will hopefully be enough to give the club and Jose strong reasons to get rid of some players. This will be the measurement of success.

Take it easy dude. Texting can seem hostile more than it actually is. I am quite sure nobody is taking things here personally. It is just a matter of opinion and the arguments that are being made for and against. People are just witnessing something that they haven't seen for a while AN IDENTITY of the team. A clear style with certain players forming the backbone of this team. By all means a team that needs work but is moving forward. Facing tough opponents, well established opponents with good tactics and actually beating them. I would personally be a liar if I say that this current form we are in is great. But it is satisfactory compared to what we have been. God willing we might be in the semis of the UCL. If not then we have made it to the top 8 teams in Europe, arguably the top 8 teams in the world. We still have a shot at the EPL title, if we don't get it then atleast with a new team, a new manager and a news system, we have beat the top teams in the STRONGEST league in Europe, we have a set of top youngsters and most of them will get better (giving us a stronger chance of winning a title next season), we have a clear system with Jose Mourinho (who makes mistakes like every human being) and that is by all means progress. People are happy with this progress. Does any Chelsea fan hate titles? I don't think so. But trust me, as you get older you will now that things don't just happen in a flash. You need a plan, with short term and long term objective to reach whatever you want to reach. For us to be the best club out there, to get more trophies more frequently, to have an identity, to build a legacy, have stronger fan base, brand equity......etc you need time and you need to be patient. It is always a success when you are moving towards your goal. It is by all means progress mate. Remember that things that come too fast, usually go away too fast. Again take it easy mate it is only an opinion based on some common sense and logic. :)

Great post, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it a success isn't it? It's progress in meeting established goals, but not success. Success will be achieved (or not) when and if the long term goals are reached (silverware).

Arsenal fans might say, "hey! we have an identity too! And yes, it may be called Barca Lite, but it's still an identity. :)

However, I do agree that not changing managers, and philosophy, midway through a season is already progress.

[to others who quoted Mourinho]

What Mourinho says doesn't really matter, does it? If by next season he's saying something similar, because we are out of title contention, or say in 3 years time we haven't reached a CL final, the owner of the club may want to go in a different direction; that's his prerogative as owner.