test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueLion.

Post-season review - Chelsea 2013/14

Started by BlueLion.,

Success or Failure?   163 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel the season went? Rate out of 5...

• 1/5 - a terrible season, we fell well short of expectations.
    • 2/5 - not a great season. Some positives but overall a disappointment.
    • 3/5 - average. Not bad for a team in transition but would have liked some silverware nonetheless!
    • 4/5 - good. A positive blueprint for the future has been laid, and there were some famous wins as well (6-0 vs Arsenal, 2-0 vs PSG, etc.)
    • 5/5 - exceeding expectations! I didn't think we'd come close to achieving what we did! Bring on next season!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

372 posts in this topic

If Liverpool win the league this season is a total failure, we spent 5 times the money Liverpool spent this season both in the summer and in January,

FAILURE complete and I'm still crying ,, My name is Moyes but they call me the Ginger twat ... and I thought that was Scholes... Still i Will have 200 million to spend

if Im still here next year ,,, how much for Torres and Ramires????

Losing the title for Liverpool will be very frustrating, they shouldnt win it this season with City and us in the league, and it will be a failure for us and even bigger for City.

But getting to the CL final will be a hugh succses.

so, i know ra wil not happy for this season, will mourinho get sacked? or he is untouachable ? let say we process to final and lose it + lose epl to liverpool

If Liverpool win the league this season is a total failure,

It really isn't. We're in the title race with 3 games to go and a CL semi-final with an incomplete squad that we can all see the holes in. Liverpool have taken 25 years to finally mount a decent challenge despite being amongst the top spenders in that time, whereas we're going from making shit decisions (the Torres signing and allowing the squad to age) to getting on a new path in the space of one season under Jose.

This was always a transition season and Jose said quite honestly that we weren't ready to win. That's evident from the lack of character shown by the players in the last few weeks but it's EXACTLY those types of disappointments that build character. Fighters learn more from a defeat than they do from an easy knockout and that's hopefully what young men like Oscar, Hazard and Matic will take from this season.

Lamps, JT etc. had to lose before they knew how to win. Everyone at the club has to breathe in this feeling and start again fresh next season. It's very easy to post stupid instagram snaps when you win but I hope they all took responsibility for yesterday.

yuvala, Shane and Polo7 like this

I voted Success First, but change to Neither. we were so close to win the PL, but blow it up. and against who?! sunderland.palace,westspam.WBA...

This is a success.

Chelsea have set one goal and that was to improve, not win trophies yet but just improve and fight for them!

Staying right up there until the very end in the title race is a huge, HUUGGGEEE progress and reaching the Semi-Finals is even bigger. So how exactly can I call this season a failure! We have reached our goal and therefore it's a success of a season.

Thank you!

yuvala and NiclasCFC like this

This season is as I was seeing it in the pre-season.

We have difficulties against the team using the legacy of Mourinho in his first period here in England, happy to sit back and letting the balls to the other team.

And even being a bit dirty like the teams of Jose used to be when defending.

This is a success.

Chelsea have set one goal and that was to improve, not win trophies yet but just improve and fight for them!

Staying right up there until the very end in the title race is a huge, HUUGGGEEE progress and reaching the Semi-Finals is even bigger. So how exactly can I call this season a failure! We have reached our goal and therefore it's a success of a season.

Thank you!

first good post from you mate, keep it up.
yuvala and haranr like this

Having the title in our hands in the last 4 games, being 1-0 up to the team at the bottom of the league in the first of those games and losing 2-1 is a massive, massive failure; no matter how you look at it.

It's been a success overall though for Mourinho and some key players like Cahill, Terry, Azpi and Hazard who have all improved. However, when the character of team has been tested in games like yesterday, the team as a collective unit never showed enough balls. So that aspect is a failure. I'm hoping a few new faces in (and out) in the summer will give us more confidence in these situations.

Having the title in our hands in the last 4 games, being 1-0 up to the team at the bottom of the league in the first of those games and losing 2-1 is a massive, massive failure; no matter how you look at it.

It's been a success overall though for Mourinho and some key players like Cahill, Terry, Azpi and Hazard who have all improved. However, when the character of team has been tested in games like yesterday, the team as a collective unit never showed enough balls. So that aspect is a failure. I'm hoping a few new faces in (and out) in the summer will give us more confidence in these situations.

I take the Azpi as the best thing to come out of this season.

Terry not so much, as he ain't for the future. Unless he does a Maldini/Giggs and plays till his late 30's.

But I want another CB to step up to the plate like we have done with Azpi for the LB/RB positions.

Hopefully next season we can start seeing the emergence of that other CB.

Yeah definitely a success despite coming close to EPL & CL double. Liverpool have deserved it, we'd be stupid to deny them, because they have a strike force that's outscored everyone in the league. That's how you win the EPL, you outscore everyone else. Their defending is awful and it's going to let them down next season when they're balancing Europe, FA, Capital Cup and EPL. They might have a rich owner, but they don't yet have the pull.

Season's not over and we can still add a third European cup in as many years, which truly will be remarkable and no-one can take it away from us. But even if we don't, a semi-final/final has shown the resolve of this overworked squad. I firmly believe Mourinho kept denying our title charge because he knew something like this would happen, but let's not kid ourselves.. He always wanted to win this and probably had firm belief we would until yesterday - hence the referee outburst.

It's going to be a cruel summer & following season now because we're expected to challenge a step further. Yet it's going to be so hard to recruit this summer because it's WC year. Which means players, world class players', stock will go up so high pending individual performances at the World Cup.

duren batu and Mohammed Seif like this

It becomes easier to grade when there are list of target in place then we can assess how well those targets have been reached and if at all they have been achieved.

For me in terms of league and champions league result: a definite success,

League and champions league performance wise: inconclusive, we have improved defensively but regressed offensively.

Youth development and promotion: It's been a monumental failure.

Transfer dealings: while we have added a quality midfielder in Matic and an exciting player in Salah, we have yet again failed to address our most pressing need i,e a striker and it could be argued that Schurrle and to an extent, willian were unnecessary buys. we have also sold our most creative player and shipped, arguably our best striker, out on loan. It's slightly better than last season but still failure for me.

Overall it's a success if you are in the camp that rates result as the only important target and a failure if other things are taken into consideration.

zolayes likes this

It's been a success but losing those 3 games has really been hard to take. The title was ours for the taking. We are building though and as long as we do get top 3 it will be fine. We've challenged for the title and got to a UCL Semi. Not at all a bad campaign and could still end up a great campaign.

Not so much a failure.Frustrating espically the way we've thrown points away against random sides and not turned up...if we can beat Liverpool..give City the title and win the CL be more of a success

on the Rodgers scale // we have failed

on the Moyes scale // we have had a wonderful season

on the Wenger scale // to make 4th is all that ever matters ... btw 4th isnt guaranteed yet ..