Liverpool v Chelsea

Jase

Here's the team I'd like to see:

Mark

Ivanovic - Luiz - Cahill - Cole

Mikel - Matic

Salah - Lampard - Schurrle

Ba

Fixed it. Mikel and Ba for Oscar and Torres. Firstly, a three man midfield of Mikel, Matic, Lampard would be a lot better for what I believe will be Mourinho's cautious approach to the game, not to mention also being able to rest Oscar for the Atletico game. And secondly, I don't want to see Torres anywhere near the pitch at Anfield so I would go with Demba.

Really can't see Mourinho starting the likes of Hilario, Christensen, Aké, Kalas in this game. Maybe one of the youngsters could be in defense in place of Luiz, who we simply can't afford to have injured because of his importance in midfield for the Atletico game especially with Lamps and Mikel being suspended, but definitely not all three. Would be nice to see Van Ginkel at some point too if he's up for it.

Early in every season, people are all gung-ho about every game. You can't rest anybody! You can't treat any game lightly! We have to win! etc..And now when we are in CL semi-finals and still vying for the league we have to rest people? We need to put our best XI out in the League Cup but a key showdown in Anfield? We need to sit our starters because their tired.This is exactly why rotation matters. Ivanovic has started 51 games this season. Azpilicueta has started basically every game since he took over the job from Cole. Cole has started once since January. Are you telling me he couldn't have started 4 or 5 games with Ivanovic and Azpilicueta getting rests and to make Cole more ready if/when we need him? We had a 3 game stretch in about 10 days against Stoke in the FA Cup, West Ham in the league and City in the league? We had 5 players play all 3 games. We couldn't rotate some people in against Stoke in the FA Cup? West Ham at home? Or how about the Christmas period? 5 games from the 23rd of December to January 5th. We couldn't have given Hazard a break in that period? He started 4 games and came on in the 54th in the other. Rotation throughout the season is needed so you avoid exhausting players and having to rest players in key matchups in April.

Earlier in the season we were still trying to forge a new identity and style as a team. Earlier in the season we had control over our destiny in the league, something we don't have anymore. That's our own fault, but now we have to look at where our greatest chance for success lies and that it undoubtably in the CL.

We win two games and we're champions.

In the league we need to win three games and hope a few things go our way elsewhere. It's a pretty simply equation at the end of the day.

Not sure where the rotation argument fits in. We're at a point where I don't think it has much impact on what we do in the 8 days that encompass the Atletico and Liverpool games. Hazard picked up his injury in a CL quarter-final and Cole has struggled for about 18 months now with games in quick succession because of those ankles.

Anyway, here's the team I'd be happy with based on the fact that we need players like Luiz and Oscar fresh for the semi.

Schwarzer

Azpi Ivanovic Kalas Ake

Lamps Mikel Matic

Salah Schurrle

Torres

It's rather unfortunate that we actually have an extra midfielder (Van Ginkel) when we need defenders. Luiz struggles with multiple games in quick succession in midfield so I'd rest him completely. Cahill is too important now that JT is out so you have to risk Ivanovic and Azpi and hope their fitness holds out. I'd wrap Cole in cotton wool with the expectation he'll play at left-back, with Ivanovic and Cahill in the middle and Azpi at right-back (although maybe Jose goes with Ivanovic at right-back in either of the next two games). Ake has played a lot at left-back in the reserves and looked good going forward. Kalas finally gets his PL start.

Matic and Salah are nailed-on and Schurrle starts with the expectation Hazard is back. Up front it's a coin toss supposing Eto'o is back, so one of the other two starts. Personally think it's going to be one of the worst match experiences I can remember but you have to look past this game and focus on the more attainable prize.

That team is easily good enough to score 3 past Liverpool and crush the dippers.

No way does Suarez alone get past Cahill and Luiz.

Gerrard will be overwhelmed by Oscar and schurrle.

Torres is still better than dipper failures like Agger and glen Johnson

The only danger at all is if Sturridge is near 100% and I don't think he's even close.

Troll.

Here's the team I'd like to see:

Mark

Ivanovic - Luiz - Cahill - Cole

Lampard - Matic

Salah - Oscar - Schurrle

Torres

This. Or something like this.

I'd instruct Luiz to stick with Dracula, like a pest, all 90 minutes and don't let him breathe. This can also work playing him as DMF, Iva CB & Azpi RB, because Luiz is better as midfielder imo. Matic & Salah are a must for me. Also Lampard since he is not available for CL and/or Mikel (not starting but as a substitute).

Torres is the only option it seems. Oscar & Schurrle is a risk worth taking imo (each for different reason) because if it works it will do miracles.