Ray Wilkins MBE

Fulham Broadway

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

My childhood hero along with Peter Osgood. Captain at 18 a Chelsea legend who when he played for England there was enormous pride amongst Chelsea fans as we were short of star players back then. Thoroughly decent bloke no ego at all and always had time for the fans RIP Butch.

Exactly and I am a bit angry with the club - sacked for allegedly saying to Roman and Gourlay ''Well if you ever played the game you'd know differently''. Booted out the next day. His heavy drinking started soon after. 

Anyway I was privileged to see him play loads of games -as were you Iggy ? Fuck me if you think we are a one man team with Hazrd, you should have seen us when we were with Wilkins. Midfield maestro. Never forgotten.

what a sad day to be a Chelsea fan, terrible terrible news, this came out of nowhere, i dont know what to say, im shocked. Gone too soon R.I.P. Ray :( , my condolences to his family, there is so much more to life than football, and at the end of the day we are all humans, life is just so fragile :cry: KTBFFH wherever you are Ray 😞

20 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Interview with 18 year old Ray

Looked a proper man in that interview. Rest in peace Chelsea legend and what I bet was a decent man, wish I'd seen him play as some great memories shared here.

But... is it true there was only 1 substitute back then?

How sad.

As a schoolboy, I was in the away end at White Hart Lane watching an eighteen year old Butch Wilkins captain Chelsea in a crucial late season relegation four-pointer. (Two points for a win in those days.) Near the end he missed a chance which would probably have earned a point that could, perhaps, have seen us avoid the relegation which followed a couple of weeks later. Three and a half years after that, I stood opposite The Shelf and watched him dominate a game in which recent Word Cup winners Ossie Ardieles & Ricky Villa featured for Spurs. (Check out Brian Moore's post match comments in the video below.) In between I stood week after week in The Shed chanting, "Wilkins, Wilkins ... born is the king".  He was our captain, our leader, a part of the furniture. So much so in fact that he married the Chairman's daughter. He was Mr. Chelsea, the true heir to Ossie's throne.

In later years I was not always able to agree with his comments as a pundit but today, and forever more I hope, Chelsea fans will remember the club legend. Thank you Butch.

15 minutes ago, manpe said:

Looked a proper man in that interview. Rest in peace Chelsea legend and what I bet was a decent man, wish I'd seen him play as some great memories shared here.

But... is it true there was only 1 substitute back then?

Yes -known as 'the reserve'. When men were men :cig:. Sometimes it wasn't unusual to see a game where one or both teams would end up with 9 or 10. But they also used crude steroid injections on in play injuries so they could carry on. Quite a few ended up crippled later in life.

Yeah Ray was exceptional. Played pinpoint accurate across the field passes, quite Fabregasesque, but with a better work rate.

4 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Yes -known as 'the reserve'. When men were men :cig:. Sometimes it wasn't unusual to see a game where one or both teams would end up with 9 or 10. But they also used crude steroid injections on in play injuries so they could carry on. Quite a few ended up crippled later in life.

Yeah Ray was exceptional. Played pinpoint accurate across the field passes, quite Fabregasesque, but with a better work rate.

Well well, I learn something new every day. :P Would love talking to the older fans here face to face and listen to how it was back then.

4 minutes ago, manpe said:

Well well, I learn something new every day. :P Would love talking to the older fans here face to face and listen to how it was back then.

Well you'd probably get a rose tinted view of it :D   -tbh it's loads better now, the pitches, quality of football etc but the sheer fuckoffness of going to games then was better !

1 hour ago, manpe said:

A brief mention of Ray Wilkins here I was at the game. This was the season I started going regularly only missed one home game great days even though we had a terrible team.

http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2012/06/10-bovrils-please-197980/