test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fulham Broadway

Ray Wilkins MBE

Started by Fulham Broadway,

66 posts in this topic

what a sad day to be a Chelsea fan, terrible terrible news, this came out of nowhere, i dont know what to say, im shocked. Gone too soon R.I.P. Ray :( , my condolences to his family, there is so much more to life than football, and at the end of the day we are all humans, life is just so fragile :cry: KTBFFH wherever you are Ray 😞

13 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Interview with 18 year old Ray

what a lovely lad back then, very down to earth and with class. RIP

Fulham Broadway likes this

20 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Interview with 18 year old Ray

Looked a proper man in that interview. Rest in peace Chelsea legend and what I bet was a decent man, wish I'd seen him play as some great memories shared here.

But... is it true there was only 1 substitute back then?

Johnnyeye and Fulham Broadway like this

15 minutes ago, manpe said:

Looked a proper man in that interview. Rest in peace Chelsea legend and what I bet was a decent man, wish I'd seen him play as some great memories shared here.

But... is it true there was only 1 substitute back then?

Yes -known as 'the reserve'. When men were men :cig:. Sometimes it wasn't unusual to see a game where one or both teams would end up with 9 or 10. But they also used crude steroid injections on in play injuries so they could carry on. Quite a few ended up crippled later in life.

Yeah Ray was exceptional. Played pinpoint accurate across the field passes, quite Fabregasesque, but with a better work rate.

4 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Yes -known as 'the reserve'. When men were men :cig:. Sometimes it wasn't unusual to see a game where one or both teams would end up with 9 or 10. But they also used crude steroid injections on in play injuries so they could carry on. Quite a few ended up crippled later in life.

Yeah Ray was exceptional. Played pinpoint accurate across the field passes, quite Fabregasesque, but with a better work rate.

Well well, I learn something new every day. :P Would love talking to the older fans here face to face and listen to how it was back then.

4 minutes ago, manpe said:

Well well, I learn something new every day. :P Would love talking to the older fans here face to face and listen to how it was back then.

Well you'd probably get a rose tinted view of it :D   -tbh it's loads better now, the pitches, quality of football etc but the sheer fuckoffness of going to games then was better !

Starman60, Amblève. and Johnnyeye like this

1 hour ago, manpe said:

A brief mention of Ray Wilkins here I was at the game. This was the season I started going regularly only missed one home game great days even though we had a terrible team.

http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2012/06/10-bovrils-please-197980/

manpe likes this

After the first reports came in it didn't look good but things happen... So sad seemed such a genuine man which tribute reflect. RIP 

The news hit me really really bad. I can't believe Butch is dead. Football is the loser today. Truly one of football's good guys. 

Amblève. likes this

It was weird at first. Here we were, absolutely proper shit- and then we had the National team captain at 18. I knew fans of other teams that fucking hated us, pitied us for falling from 1970s glam boys into a debt ridden joke. These fans like most back then, properly supported England. Suddenly they had to respect us, Ray was brilliant playing for England, and as Chelsea fans it was a real boost.

manpe, Kieran. and Amblève. like this

Extremely sad day as a Chelsea and football fan. Before my time, but my dad grew up supporting Chelsea in the 60's/70's and speaks fondly of Ray Wilkins.

I didn't always agree with his punditry in recent years but what cannot be denied is that he was a Chelsea boy through and through, one of the few pro Chelsea pundits around.

His success with Ancelotti as a coach here only further enhanced his status and the reaction to his death not just by Chelsea fans, but all manner of clubs, footballers, pundits, etc across England and further afield shows just what respect he had earned.

Will be sorely missed.

Fulham Broadway likes this

Nigel.Quashie on Wilkins

I will always be proud to say how lucky I am to have been coached, managed and even meet you. If it wasn’t for you I would never have started my career playing football and will never forget going to Manchester United as a YTS trainee to do all the kit and boots in the changing room for the first team squad. 1hr 30 mins before kick off you name the team and I was in it and that’s how my debut went, I didn’t even get to think about it because all you said was your number 18, here are your boots and shin pads , just go and play, have fun and treat it like your over the park with your mates . My mum never had a mobile phone back then because we couldn’t afford anything like that and everything went through her work or home phone. I asked you after the game if I could call home to speak to her, you said use my mobile and call this number, it was my mum on the other end of the line and she said she was outside by the away team bus, I went outside to see her and asked how did you get here because I knew she couldn’t afford it, she told me Ray had got the club to pay for her train ticket to come to the game and then told me Ray got the club to give us our first mobile phone in life during the week and he wanted to surprise me knowing I was making my debut. I was given a chance by Ray Wilkins one of the legends of the game and to this day you are the first person I mention when it comes to football and that will never change. You will be missed so much not just in the football world but as a real human being with such class. Thanks for everything and my thoughts go to all the family. Sleep well Sir Ray Wilkins

Didn't expect this to hit me as hard as it did, given that I didn't know that man personally. RIP Ray.