Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Gave away a silly one against Southampton earlier this year as well. I don't want to overreact or anything like that but maybe Henrique had a point when he said Matic isn't all that great some time. Heck, perhaps even the Arsenal fans had a point when they said Coquelin is better than Matic. And...maybe Mourinho had a point too when he said took the players - including Matic - to another level that they weren't capable of reaching yet.

Comparisons with the likes of Busquets were always too much for me. But I don't know. Looking at his performances in 2014 and 2015... there's just such a contrast for me. Is 2014 Matic the real Matic or is 2015 the real one? I really don't know. I'm not ready to write him off though.

But I still don't think he's a true holding midfielder.

Comparisons with the likes of Busquets were always too much for me. But I don't know. Looking at his performances in 2014 and 2015... there's just such a contrast for me. Is 2014 Matic the real Matic or is 2015 the real one? I really don't know. I'm not ready to write him off though.

But I still don't think he's a true holding midfielder.

That moment when he bossed City and fooled an entire world into thinking he is the long time solution :worship:

Then what is he? He's like neither here nor there at the moment.

It's like when Essien would playing holding midfield. He can't handle the restrictions and doesn't posses the tactical intelligence to play there. Nowadays holding midfielders are the players who provide intelligent passing and positioning at the base of midfield as well, starting up attacks. Think Busquets, Alonso, Motta etc. Matic is not that player.

For me he's a CM, on the left of a three man midfield. Like Essien on the right in the past or the like the likes of Nainggolan, Vidal, Rakitic, Matuidi etc. today.

Gave away a silly one against Southampton earlier this year as well. I don't want to overreact or anything like that but maybe Henrique had a point when he said Matic isn't all that great some time. Heck, perhaps even the Arsenal fans had a point when they said Coquelin is better than Matic. And...maybe Mourinho had a point too when he said took the players - including Matic - to another level that they weren't capable of reaching yet.

Tbh I'm still not sold on Coquelin either. Maybe it's because Arsenal fans are doing my head in overrating him as per usual - Even Wenger said he's worth £40m not too long ago smh.

On Matic though, incredible how he's become so inconsistent. When first re-signed, it was called a stroke of genius by Mou. Maybe if the 2014 Matic was eligible in Europe, we could've won the CL that year :lol: - What's clear is he needs us to sign someone to give him the proverbial kick up the backside. Because right now he's far too comfortable and assured of his place -_-

I'm sorry, I can't hold it in anymore, and this is in no way about the penalty today to but his performances since the start of the year: This guy is criminally overrated and for some reason always manages to avoid criticism and get afforded all the excuses in the world.

He had an excellent four month period at the start of last season but calling him the best defensive midfielder in Europe is akin to Liverpool fans labeling Joe Allen as one of the best midfielders in the world!

I'm sorry, I can't hold it in anymore, and this is in no way about the penalty today to but his performances since the start of the year: This guy is criminally overrated and for someone reason always manages to avoid criticism and gets afforded all the excuses in the world.

He had an excellent four month period at the start of last season but calling him the best defensive midfielder in Europe is akin to Liverpool fans labeling Joe Allen as one of the best midfielders in the world!

He's tall. It commands respect.

He'd get ripped to shreds if he was 7 inches shorter.

It was never a problem before. He'd win most of his aerial duels anyway because of his height (I was only half-joking).

Actually I made this point a few times last season that his aerial duels stats look 'normal' but only compared to much shorter central midfielders. For his height, his ability in the air has always been sub par, at least for me.

Actually I made this point a few times last season that his aerial duels stats look 'normal' but only compared to much shorter central midfielders. For his height, his ability in the air has always been sub par, at least for me.

True. But he would still beat most people he'd face in midfield and that's all that mattered.

I don't even know what the point of this is. What are we talking about?

He's been poor and it's his own fault.

True. But he would still beat most people he'd face in midfield and that's all that mattered.

I don't even know what the point of this is. What are we talking about?

He's been poor and it's his own fault.

What are we? Why do we even live?!

And no, it's Fabregas' fault. It's always Fabregas' fault...

It isn't just a Matic or Fabregas problem, it runs a lot deeper. We have zero aggression in that area of the park, the press and desire is gone. Go back and watch Wanyama's display from tonight if you want to know what we miss most of, that is the clearest indication.

I'm sorry, I can't hold it in anymore, and this is in no way about the penalty today to but his performances since the start of the year: This guy is criminally overrated and for some reason always manages to avoid criticism and get afforded all the excuses in the world.

He is avoiding criticism for many reasons :

• as Oscar, he put a 'brilliant' performance in one of his very first game here and thus he is still living of that game against City ;
  • 'he' (it is rather the fans) built his myth during his first four months here where the fact he could not play every games was hiding his limitations and his lack of consistency ;
  • (If my counts are correct) Out of 14 games he played in the league during these four months, he was paired six times with Ramires, thrice with Ramires and once with Mikel. All that within an ultra-defensive team, it is not hard to look like a 'defensive beast' ;
  • He has very long legs so yeah when he puts a challenge that is impressive (i.e. the 'spider') ;
  • Chelsea fans love their 'beast players' — Essien and Costa being good examples. His 'beast' performance against Manchester did allow Chelsea fans to believe, in a time where there were no longer 'beasts' (Luiz could have, though he was already frustrating everybody), that there was finally someone to pursue the 'beast' legacy of Essien, Ballack, etc..

In a nutshell, Chelsea fans needed to have their 'beast' ; Matic did a 'beast' performance ; Matic has a 'beast' nick-name, i.e the spider... It was a match made in heaven, and that is how Matic became our very own 'Beast'. And because he is our very own 'Beast', he cannot do wrong.