Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Surely one of the best CDM/CM in the world atm?

Up there with Gundogan(when fit), Bastian, Kroos, Witsel, Alonso, Modric, Biscuit(yes he is good)...etc

Woah, not up to alonso and bastian level yet, but getting there with those assists from deep.

The rest there are CM/box2box mids

Loved to read those opinions about DM or B2B .. pure or not ..

and it's fair to say that yes there is something called a PURE DM .. at least here in Egypt ! here we have either AMs or DMs .. CMs are very rare !

you can trust me when I say I saw alot of DMs .. not WC or anything close but I know their roles pretty well and some of them are :

Covering for attacking backs - disrupting counters early - protecting the team from out-of-box shooting - Marking AMs tightly ((see Lahm with bayern in midfield)) ..

things a DM does rarely :

Shooting - Assisting - Wing duties ((includes dribbling and moving at sides to cross)) ....... Matic is doing Exactly that at Chelsea with a much better added quality .. Assisting! .. his long balls are just awesome and incredibly accurate! he does a great coverage for his teammates and provides a station for starting attacks ((counters or else)) oh and his body balance and size! he could block sight!

I guess he's perfect for the system ..

Woah, not up to alonso and bastian level yet, but getting there with those assists from deep.

alonso no. but i think he's already on bastian level. too bad he plays for chelsea, which is why he doesnt get much attention from media. if he play for madrid, barcelona, or bayern, he definitely will be rated highly now.

Alonso has been gash this season Kellz. Matic > Alonso this season.He has had many poor performances especially against the good sides and is a weakness for Madrid if we face them in the CL. Besides, Matic's defensive game is naturally much better than Alonso's ever was. Though Alonso's long passing range is still something to behold, Matic is no amateur in that regard as well as we've seen already. In 2014, I will take Matic in my team ahead of Xabi. Also ahead of Schweini (he is more CM, though he is obviously functional at DM) who has struggled to get into Guardiola's side. At least until Alcantara got injured.

Surely one of the best CDM/CM in the world atm?

Up there with Gundogan(when fit), Bastian, Kroos, Witsel, Alonso, Modric, Biscuit(yes he is good)...etc

The best. No other one has a combination of his defensive skills, interception/blocking skills, physicality, anticipation of danger, passing range and playmaking skills. His long legs also allow him to cover an incredible amount of ground. He's deceptively fast. One moment he's at the center of the pitch, the next he's by the left wing. He generally covers more ground than Ramires and actually makes clever "steals" on the opposition in possession, unlike the Brazilian.

Alonso has been gash this season Kellz. Matic > Alonso this season.He has had many poor performances especially against the good sides and is a weakness for Madrid if we face them in the CL. Besides, Matic's defensive game is naturally much better than Alonso's ever was. Though Alonso's long passing range is still something to behold, Matic is no amateur in that regard as well as we've seen already. In 2014, I will take Matic in my team ahead of Xabi. Also ahead of Schweini (he is more CM, though he is obviously functional at DM) who has struggled to get into Guardiola's side. At least until Alcantara got injured.

I haven't watched alonso this season but last seasons alonso is still > matic.

He combined tackling with xavi level passes.

Matic is still no 1 in tackling, he's ridiculously good at that, but even though he's contributed directly to goals with good long passing, he still doesn't control the midfield as well as alonso offensively. But he'll get there.

I haven't watched alonso this season but last seasons alonso is still > matic.

He combined tackling with xavi level passes.

Matic is still no 1 in tackling, he's ridiculously good at that, but even though he's contributed directly to goals with good long passing, he still doesn't control the midfield as well as alonso offensively. But he'll get there.

You are right when you say Alonso's long-range passing ability is unrivalled. He is the best long-range passer I've ever seen in football and that's what made him such a unique player.

whatt?? poor against good sides? i dont watch RM frequently, but based on what i saw when they against atm and barca, alonso have the ability, in very tight position (because hard pressing) he kick the ball the way our luiz kick our ball randomly into opponents area. the difference is the ball that alonso kicked get to bale or cr7 or maria's feet. yes matic's def is better than alonso, but alonso's def not bad either. the only thing alonso lacked is concentration, as he often did fouls in late minutes game. imo alonso still (slightly) better than matic in terms of CM.

whatt?? poor against good sides? i dont watch RM frequently, but based on what i saw when they against atm and barca, alonso have the ability, in very tight position (because hard pressing) he kick the ball the way our luiz kick our ball randomly into opponents area. the difference is the ball that alonso kicked get to bale or cr7 or maria's feet. yes matic's def is better than alonso, but alonso's def not bad either. the only thing alonso lacked is concentration, as he often did fouls in late minutes game. imo alonso still (slightly) better than matic in terms of CM.

Let mee just clarify. Xabi Alonso is a brilliant player but his poor form against the good sides this season has been well noted. It's not entirely his fault though. It has a lot to do with Ancelotti's ultra-offensive 4-3-3 that has no natural protection to the back four. A midfield trio of Xabi Alonso, Modric, Isco/Di Maria is very risky. Even Xabi Alonso said that 4-3-3 the way Madrid play it is too open against strong opposition.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2014/03/21/actualidad/1395433899_528944.html

Xabi Alonso is still a great player but Madrid have badly missed Khedira. Alonso can't do the defensive job on his own. He is not that type of player.

Am I the only one who thought he was poor yesterday? Just as bad as Ramires in my opinion.

He had a tough game but he's still in his first few months back at the club. Would've preferred Frank or Luiz alongside him yesterday because the game looked so disjointed at times.

He had a tough game but he's still in his first few months back at the club. Would've preferred Frank or Luiz alongside him yesterday because the game looked so disjointed at times.

Agree that he absolutely needs somebody else alongside him, Ramires does not help matters at all.

Matic's pressing is very good when the rest of the team is pressing hard as well but sometimes he leaves huge gaps right down the middle of the pitch and he doesn't have much recovery pace.

I like a lot of what he has bought to the team but against Crystal Palace where he tired badly and turned the ball over a lot and yesterday he has started to look a little ordinary after a very solid start.

Agree that he absolutely needs somebody else alongside him, Ramires does not help matters at all.

Matic's pressing is very good when the rest of the team is pressing hard as well but sometimes he leaves huge gaps right down the middle of the pitch and he doesn't have much recovery pace.

I like a lot of what he has bought to the team but against Crystal Palace where he tired badly and turned the ball over a lot and yesterday he has started to look a little ordinary after a very solid start.

He's almost been embodying the team's problem: against Sunderland, Villa and Crystal Palace, the smaller sides, he was poor and gave the ball away too much; against the bigger sides he's been much better. His stamina does appear to be a problem though and he is only playing 1 game per week hmm... I'm worried about the Liverpool game too because their pace could cause him issues - in that sense a mobile CM who has great stamina seems like a good partner for Matic, but Ramires has to be the worst top-level CM of that mould you could think of!