test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spike

Closed Diego Costa

Started by Spike,

3,705 posts in this topic

This is really dumb...

Your going to go to Brazil and play for a different country??? I would get extra security for him and his family...Can you imagine the backlash he's going to receive there.

It's one thing to play for Spain, but it's another thing to play in the world cup in Brazil and most likely against Brazil....

This is really dumb...

Your going to go to Brazil and play for a different country??? I would get extra security for him and his family...Can you imagine the backlash he's going to receive there.

It's one thing to play for Spain, but it's another thing to play in the world cup in Brazil and most likely against Brazil....

I don't think there will be much of a problem because it's not like he has a big fan base in Brazil. He has always played abroad. Still I can't help but feel a bit disgusted after knowing his choice.

I don't think there will be much of a problem because it's not like he has a big fan base in Brazil. He has always played abroad. Still I can't help but feel a bit disgusted after knowing his choice.

Was there ever a backlash like this when a Brazilian chose to play for Portugal's NT? Just curious

Was there ever a backlash like this when a Brazilian chose to play for Portugal's NT? Just curious

Like Deco? I don't think so. Probably because we didn't feel like we needed him and also because that player would not be strengthening one of the biggest contenders to take the cup in our country when we sorely need good strikers and the WC is just around the corner.

I hope we kick Spain's arse again, with him in the starting XI :P

I understand his choice, and I'm really very little patriotic about all things, not only sports, and still I feel betrayed. Yeah, I get he only played professionally in Spain, that he has a Spain passport, being considered a Spain citizen. But his country needed and wanted him. If he was so convinced he wanted to play for Spain, why did he play a friendly for us earlier this year?

He has the right to do it, I even understand his reasons, I just can't overlook it and forgive him. I wish him no bad things - except losing for us in the WC, other than that good luck for him in Spain. That is, if he goes to the WC at all. There's still plenty of time for that to happen and while he's a very good striker, they have other players who may have a promising season to.

I dont think he has any right to do so because he already played for Brazil when no one in Spain wanted him!

It is a superb hipocracy to play for two countries. You either feel you belong to one nation or another. You cant go choosing one country after have already participated in a different country before. This isnt club football!!!

My problem is not with players wanting to player for X, Y or Z. If you have the citzenship, than it is up to you. However, the reasons behind the decision must be cultural and sentimental, not in any way professional.

There are many, many, example of players who were born in one country but play for another. That is fine by me. But Diego Costa's situation is a whole lot different!!!

The fucking traitor that Diego is has no respect for either Brazil nor Spain. He is just using them both to elevate his career and decided to go for the one he thinks he has more chances of being a starter. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!

International football is all about representing your nation (be that the one you were born or not). And not just another tournament for players to want to participate in. That is why I have so much respect for the likes of Giggs, Bale, etc, and no respect for Diego Costa.

As a citizen of Brazil And Spain (I can prove that for you if you dont believe), I feel absolutely insulted by Diego Costa playing for either one!!!!

Like Deco? I don't think so. Probably because we didn't feel like we needed him and also because that player would not be strengthening one of the biggest contenders to take the cup in our country when we sorely need good strikers and the WC is just around the corner.

Yeah, Deco, Pepe... Those are the two biggest names I remember. I understand the frustration though must be terrible

This is the first time that a player that has a real chance to play for Brazil recuses the call and prefers the other... In the case of the br-portuguese players, Brazil didn't tryed to call them, they didn't played for us and let us disappointed.

i think they should change the rules. even if its friendlies you shouldnt go around playing for multiple countries.

I dont think he has any right to do so because he already played for Brazil when no one in Spain wanted him!

It is a superb hipocracy to play for two countries. You either feel you belong to one nation or another. You cant go choosing one country after have already participated in a different country before. This isnt club football!!!

My problem is not with players wanting to player for X, Y or Z. If you have the citzenship, than it is up to you. However, the reasons behind the decision must be cultural and sentimental, not in any way professional.

There are many, many, example of players who were born in one country but play for another. That is fine by me. But Diego Costa's situation is a whole lot different!!!

The fucking traitor that Diego is has no respect for either Brazil nor Spain. He is just using them both to elevate his career and decided to go for the one he thinks he has more chances of being a starter. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!

International football is all about representing your nation (be that the one you were born or not). And not just another tournament for players to want to participate in. That is why I have so much respect for the likes of Giggs, Bale, etc, and no respect for Diego Costa.

As a citizen of Brazil And Spain (I can prove that for you if you dont believe), I feel absolutely insulted by Diego Costa playing for either one!!!!

I agree with both of you. I said it was his right in the most basic meaning of the word, meaning it was in his hands. But FIFA rules are terrible. Brazil didn't have any official matches between Olympic Games and CC, so how could he be part of an official match if we weren't playing them? Also regardless of that, a friendly is a FIFA match, that counts points to the rankings that determine among other things the seeds in the WC. It shouldn't be ignored.

I don't condone with his decision, I feel betrayed and I think he humiliated us.

As for his chances of playing there, if anything he has less competition here. Who knows if Fred won't be injured during the WC? He spends most time injured and the rest of our strikers are jokers, while Spain has some decent ones.

Rmpr likes this

How is he doing anything wrong?

He has the choice to choose to play for Spain or Brazil so why shouldn't he be able to choose? Brazilians are just annoyed because they lack a class striker and he is choosing to play for Spain because they obviously wanted him more. He played in a friendly for Brazil but still, its not a competitive match so if there is a problem it is with FIFA's rule and not Diego Costa.

All I am seeing is certain Brazilian members annoyed because he has the ability to choose, Scolari hasn't show any sort of major interest in him since he started scoring goals at the start of the season. He obviously felt like an outsider because he had a pretty impressive season last year where Scolari could have called him up a lot more but he didn't.

I agree with both of you. I said it was his right in the most basic meaning of the word, meaning it was in his hands. But FIFA rules are terrible. Brazil didn't have any official matches between Olympic Games and CC, so how could he be part of an official match if we weren't playing them? Also regardless of that, a friendly is a FIFA match, that counts points to the rankings that determine among other things the seeds in the WC. It shouldn't be ignored.

I don't condone with his decision, I feel betrayed and I think he humiliated us.

As for his chances of playing there, if anything he has less competition here. Who knows if Fred won't be injured during the WC? He spends most time injured and the rest of our strikers are jokers, while Spain has some decent ones.

All true, but I dont think he humiliated us. I think that is too strong of a word for the fuck all that Diego Costa means!

As Jcar92 said: we have 5 (FIVE!) fucking stars, have had the best players of all time and trashed Spain in the Confederations Cup.

Diego Costa doesnt scare me at all and I didnt even wanted him to be called up....

Barbara likes this

he is choosing to play for Spain because they obviously wanted him more.

That is what makes me lose my temper. How did you all get to that conclusion? Huh?

That is what makes me lose my temper. How did you all get to that conclusion? Huh?

Well he played well last season and scored what was it 20 goals? Where was his call up to play at the Confederations Cup? He didn't get one despite you could say a good CF, or a different sort of CF to Fred, being the Brazilian national teams weakpoint. Obviously he has to wait to gain Spanish citizenship so perhaps he couldn't have played for them or perhaps he could have but still by picking Spain he obviously feels he is valued more and wanted more doesn't he? Why else would he pick to play for them?

Well he played well last season and scored what was it 20 goals? Where was his call up to play at the Confederations Cup? He didn't get one despite you could say a good CF, or a different sort of CF to Fred, being the Brazilian national teams weakpoint. Obviously he has to wait to gain Spanish citizenship so perhaps he couldn't have played for them or perhaps he could have but still by picking Spain he obviously feels he is valued more and wanted more doesn't he? Why else would he pick to play for them?

my God, would you rather play for who want you more than from were you are? Patriotic indeed.
Rmpr likes this

But he could have been called by Del Bosque as well and was also snubed. We had Fred, Spain didnt even had a single decent striker at the Conf Cup. Brazil, as of now, has called Diego twice. Spain never did, they only started insinuating the possibility weeks ago!

Mate, just answer me with all your honest: was there any reason to call Diego Costa before the start of this season to play for the five time champions that Brazil is? Players must prove themselves before playing for their nation and not the other way around.

But above all, your nation is where you feel at home, where you feel you belong. Not the team who you think you will play the most or the team you think will have more chances of winning.

Anyways, my problems with Diego Costa are all stated in both my and Barbara's posts above, so I wont prolong myself. I just cant see how people are reacting as if Brazil and Scolari are some sort of vilan...

Barbara likes this

my God, would you rather play for who want you more than from were you are? Patriotic indeed.

Well me, if I were in Diego Costa's situation, I'd rather play for someone who appreciates me more. The fact Scolari has constantly picked strikers like Jo and Fred ahead of him for however long is ridiculous. Why would you be patriotic if you feel that country hasn't neccessairly wanted you despite being one of your countrys top performing strikers?

Well me, if I were in Diego Costa's situation, I'd rather play for someone who appreciates me more. The fact Scolari has constantly picked strikers like Jo and Fred ahead of him for however long is ridiculous.

A typical answer from someone who has got no clue of what happens in Brazil!

Fred and Jo were on fire at the time they were called. And if you ask me, they delivered beyond expected in the Confederations Cup. They did a better job than Diego Costa would, so dont call it ridiculous if you didnt watch them playing for their clubs...