test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueLion.

The "constructive criticism" thread

Started by BlueLion.,

155 posts in this topic

Yesterday I made a bit of a stupid topic called "Petty squabbles galore", which only really served to light the blue touch paper. A mistake, and one I accept.

What I want to do is try and take on board any criticisms - constructive ones at that - from the regular members. Obviously there is a fair bit of discontent around at the minute, and I want to "tidy up" the forums; but at the same time I want to take suggestions for improvement from everyone else.

If you have any frustrations then please vent them here, and I will do my best to take action on them.

ALSO - we have had a couple of changes to let you know of on the staff team!

After a good run, Kieran. has decided to step down due to time constraints. Of course we thank him for his service, as he has been as good a moderator as a member over the last two years or so!

But he indeed needs replacing - so I have taken the opportunity to appoint as his replacement.

Please also take this thread as the opportunity to welcome Spike!

Thanks,

Alex.

Unfortunately the members most adept at offering up constructive criticism seem to be around less and less.

The site's becoming nothing more than a chat site for a small clique....Spike is very much part of that so in light of that appointment, I'm not sure whether criticism, 'constructive' or otherwise, serves any purpose.

Term-X, DDA and Kojo like this

Unfortunately the members most adept at offering up constructive criticism seem to be around less and less.

The site's becoming nothing more than a chat site for a small clique....Spike is very much part of that so in light of that appointment, I'm not sure whether criticism, 'constructive' or otherwise, serves any purpose.

So, again, as I said in the other thread, instead of being so pedantic, why don't you come forward with some issues you'd like resolved?

We Hate Scouse likes this

Thanks you everyone, hopefully this thread doesn't turn into a: 'compliment me and get a free like' thread. I'll try to do what I can to make it better for everyone, but as of now I still don't really know what I'm doing with these mod tools. The learning curve will be conquered though!

Jason and BluesChick like this

So, again, as I said in the other thread, instead of being so pedantic, why don't you come forward with some issues you'd like resolved?

That wasn't pedantry....pointing out it wasn't is rather ironically, rather pedantic though.

Rather than making one of the clique a mod, why not look to more mature members like Stingray, Muzchap, TorontoChelsea or Skipper one?

It's the same problem as the MOTM issue - this forum is becoming something for a minority, and also a very small number of opinions.

That wasn't pedantry....pointing out it wasn't is rather ironically, rather pedantic though.

Rather than making one of the clique a mod, why not look to more mature members like Stingray, Muzchap, TorontoChelsea or Skipper one?

It's the same problem as the MOTM issue - this forum is becoming something for a minority, and also a very small number of opinions.

Agreed on the MOTM issue. There is a very much a popularity contest around a number of members. It's a clichéd group of the same ten members (roughly) that could fart and it would be presented as music. Which is why I have suggested a number of ideas which can be used to get around that. My personal favourite was to stop people nominated the previous month from being elected for the next month's poll. Might mean a few more deserving people get involved.

As for appointing Spike, that is a long-standing thing. He would have been the first to have been appointed whether it would have been 12 months ago, or this time next year. He finished 3rd in the 2011 moderator elections, and has been first in line to a position ever since. The decision to appoint him now is purely coincidental - it just so happens Kieran chose now to resign.

DDA likes this

Well deserved

I also think WHS's avatar is disgusting - he's using the death of 39 fellow football supporters to take a pot at another group of supporters. If that is the level of discourse/humanity that the mods deem acceptable, desirable even, then again they should let us know.

What's the defence for that Alex?

Joe Cool, Atlas Lion and MetsajCFC like this

I also think WHS's avatar is disgusting - he's using the death of 39 fellow football supporters to take a pot at another group of supporters. If that is the level of discourse/humanity that the mods deem acceptable, desirable even, then again they should let us know.

Thanks for the quote.

Gunning for another argument I see? Couldn't have just PM'd Alex that?

You're just an utter cunt for the sake of it and you get far too serious over a forum on the internet. It humours me.

Agreed on the MOTM issue. There is a very much a popularity contest around a number of members. It's a clichéd group of the same ten members (roughly) that could fart and it would be presented as music. Which is why I have suggested a number of ideas which can be used to get around that. My personal favourite was to stop people nominated the previous month from being elected for the next month's poll. Might mean a few more deserving people get involved.

As for appointing Spike, that is a long-standing thing. He would have been the first to have been appointed whether it would have been 12 months ago, or this time next year. He finished 3rd in the 2011 moderator elections, and has been first in line to a position ever since. The decision to appoint him now is purely coincidental - it just so happens Kieran chose now to resign.

Again, he probably would have won an election but that's very much the same issue as the MOTM thing.

It's becoming more of a teen chat site and less of a Chelsea supporters forum. CFCNet might look like shit, but the content on there is far more interesting and far more relatable to your average Chelsea supporter who wants to talk about Chelsea Football Club.

Thanks for the quote.

Gunning for another argument I see? Couldn't have just PM'd Alex that?

You're just an utter cunt for the sake of it and you get far too serious over a forum on the internet. It humours me.

Have I called you names? If you want to do that do it in PM or face to face - doing it over the net really is pointless.

Whilst the mods have to do their best to keep things on track it is also a duty of the members to actually act their age and not their shoe size by taking things off topic on a constant basis.

It's 50/50 split, we want the forum to function and by taking things off topic we have to make ourselves culpable.

Absolutely spot on, mate. Members have to meet us half-way, which is the purpose of this thread.

Again, as Choulo said to you yesterday (which you obviously seem to have ignored), if you have an issue with someone's avatar, then PM the staff rather than making a commotion on the forums. However I'll put it up for discussion in the staff room. Nevertheless, my advice here would be to stop being so over-sensitive over the smallest things...

Sidzeret likes this

you do know The Skipper is 20, right? Which proves that age is just a number.

The childish behavior could come from a 15yo or a 40yo. I agree that we're having problems because of egos, people confusing opinions with facts (normally who reads may assume one stated a fact when it was only an opinion, but they were wordy and emphatic so it mind sound like being factual when it's still just an opinion).

I agree that normally with age comes maturity - we all have been young (the ones who are older, that is lol) - but I think the problem sometimes comes from some older people that had been more immature in the last couple of weeks than the younger. So it's relative and we can't generalize.

As for constructive criticism, I don't like the Member of the Month award, I think it's juvenile and although that only makes it my opinion and as such shouldn't be taken seriously (and it's something I can totally overlook) I think this sort of award contributes to some of the issues, the egos war, the self-righteousness, and it's a huge popularity contest the way it is now and maybe the cliquey thing TOPTB is complaining. The cliquey doesn't bother me, but the ganging up singling out posters sometimes get a bit much.

So my criticism for now is only about the award. And I think we could foment more discussions about football.

Have I called you names? If you want to do that do it in PM or face to face - doing it over the net really is pointless.

Also you offering everyone to meet face to face is painfully embarrassing? Offering to meet an Australian member face to face? Are you for real...Then you say you've spoken to members face to face following it up by PM in brackets? Get a life you loser :lol: