Having a different opinion.

After being bothered about this for a year and a half I feel its gotten to a point that I need to speak up about this, and I do this with the knowledge that some will accuse me of whining and self promoting my interests only.

But I do find that this forum is becoming increasingly and increasingly hostile to what one might see as minor opinions and those that differ to what might be seen as the consensus of this forum; and that members are displaying more and more behaviors of that to a religious cult in that many on here seem to think that only there opinion (that is seen as the norm) can be expressed and that anything else is unacceptable and needs to be shot down . In fact its quite disturbing that a number of people on this forum seem to have quite primitive and tribal like behaviors when they read someone's post that they do not agree with. Instead of saying in a civilized manner that they don't agree with the opinion, they seem to instantly want to result in personal attacks, low-brow sarcasm and attempts to push down the poster as being stupid for simply having a different opinion on a number of issues on this forum.

And while I feel its becoming a big problem here since the last year and half, it seems that since June its becoming more and more absurd as much more aggressive behavior is being displayed. Some members seem to hold personal grudges against others and continuously try and pick fights and start flame wars all because they disagree with a number of issues and feel that its there sense of duty to start another fight in some absurd attempt of trying to silence the other. Which then leads to the other themselves becoming aggressive which leads to even more tensions.

Its quite worrying as someone who has been in student politics discussions (which are often very polarized and can get quite aggressive themselves) which still retain a sense of respect and decency in their conduct. It does not reflect well on the modern Chelsea fan (or indeed the modern football supporter) as a intelligent and accepting 21st century person if they can't stand it that other Chelsea fans may not agree with (for example) the manager or what he decided. Or the performance of a player and whether he should be in the team or not. And while it may be natural that more people who support a football club may be drawn together on a consensus, I find it disheartening that anyone who thinks differently on this forum must be seen as some sort of enemy and need to be bashed just for the fact that heir opinion may differ.

I will leave it at that.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic