Willian

Jase

16 minutes ago, Styles said:

Never seems to make the right decision sometimes. Even the 'assist' to Fabregas was an awful decision; what attacker in that position doesn't control the ball and shoot themselves? He is so lucky Fabregas saved the day because the criticism would have been through the roof.

He could have played Costa in a few times but he keeps running into dead ends or making bad choices.

I like Willian but games like this make me understand why some don't rate him.

Nail. On. Head.

He's all workrate and nothing else. Conte either needs to make him a squad player or sell him off entirely. He's been here like for 3 years and it's probably fair to say he has barely improved.

25 minutes ago, Styles said:

Never seems to make the right decision sometimes. Even the 'assist' to Fabregas was an awful decision; what attacker in that position doesn't control the ball and shoot themselves? He is so lucky Fabregas saved the day because the criticism would have been through the roof.

He could have played Costa in a few times but he keeps running into dead ends or making bad choices.

I like Willian but games like this make me understand why some don't rate him.

I agree with most of this, as Willian's decision-making in the final-third has always been one of his key weaknesses. I don't quite agree with your assessment of the contribution he made to our goal today, however, as I actually thought it was an uncharacteristically sharp bit of play: Fabregas had the better angle and more of the goal to aim at (because Djilobodji was closing Willian down in anticipation of an extra touch or a shot).

And despite it otherwise being 'one of those games' as far as some of Willian's decision-making is concerned, he's generally been outperforming the previously excellent Pedro over the last few matches (Man City and Sunderland specifically). Not sure I'd bring him into the starting line-up just yet, mind, as I think Pedro fits the system slightly better, but he's beginning to ask the question whilst Pedro's beginning to flag.

He passed back to Fabregas because he doesn't trust his own ability to go on and do something magical. He also doesn't have the footballing intelligence to make up for his lack of ability. In result he is bang average in nearly every aspect of his footballing catalouge. He can dribble at speed and hit a ball well. That is it.

On 14/12/2016 at 11:48 PM, Jason said:

Nail. On. Head.

He's all workrate and nothing else. Conte either needs to make him a squad player or sell him off entirely. He's been here like for 3 years and it's probably fair to say he has barely improved.

This season he is not even workrate anymore. 

Could be because of Mom's death tho...

we need upgrape over him and pedro! I hope Mourinho, chinese club or something else  comes to us with 60-70Millions!
we should sell him,oscar,pedro and with all money we get we can take dybala or Dembele or both :D so we will be ok for a decade !

Up to this point it´s not really his season. One year ago he was by far our best player, which didn´t mean much that time, but still showed he was in decent form. Today he was the worst player on the pitch again, his mistook passes drove me crazy. It didn´t surprise me at all that our general play got much better when Fabregas came on for him, as the Spaniard is in much better form currently. 

I know tragedies off the pitch distracted Willian so far this season, which is understandable, but he was always a very inconsistent player. I think the competition with Pedro for our RW spot might spur him to better performances from now on. Next summer we can look if someone of real quality is available to replace Pedro/Willian. I mean our RW isn´t our highest priority, as both players are decent, but we still can do better. With Conte as manager and a good season finish we should be able to acquire star players again like som years ago. 

I wonder would it be a good shout to try him in left wing back role?

He was always better on left side and his skills are somewhere between fullback and winger. He can run for ages (at least he could), he is super quick, he can hold on the ball, he is decent at tracking back. 

I would love to try it in cup games first and then maybe it works.

The only con is see he is not exactly tactical guy. I doubt he would sit back if needed. Despite being coached by pragmatic Mourinho and now Conte, he still tries to overcomplicate things sometimes and go solo instead of cooperating.

But if he could adopt, he would be probably brilliant. He doesnt have the quality for winger, but wingback, like Moses he could be perfect.

He would link with Eden brilliantly and if he can work on defending which under Conte I believe he can, it would be damn amazing.