test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

10. Willian

Started by Jason,

6,530 posts in this topic

Is that meant to be sarcastic or?

no just expressing something. When I read the forum and in some thread, someone mention anything bad about Willian you throw everything you got and defend him like a mother when somebody attack her child, which is admirable and was more like to congratulate you, than to attack you with harmful sarcasm!

no just expressing something. When I read the forum and in some thread, someone mention anything bad about Willian you throw everything you got and defend him like a mother when somebody attack her child, which is admirable and was more like to congratulate you, than to attack you with harmful sarcasm!

I didn't really defend Willian in that post tbh if you read it again. Nor have I really defended him in other threads. All I said in other threads that he'll play on the right a lot this season in response to someone who said he'll play exclusively in the middle...

I didn't really defend Willian in that post tbh if you read it again. Nor have I really defended him in other threads. All I said in other threads that he'll play on the right a lot this season in response to someone who said he'll play exclusively in the middle...

not in this partiular post no ( you're right I didn't read it top to bottom but from a few sentences i thought i got the idea it was too long), I just used it as a mark. Never mind maybe I got the wrong impression,if so I apologize, but never the less you really like Willian admit it! ;)

not in this partiular post no ( you're right I didn't read it top to bottom but from a few sentences i thought i got the idea, I just used it as a mark. Never mind maybe I got the wrong impression,if so I apologize, but never the less you really like Willian admit it! ;)

...No... I don't... You're obviously not even reading my posts correctly. Before we signed him last year, I didn't even want to sign him initially to begin with but that's passed now. I like him as a player, just like I do with the majority of other CFC players, but I wouldn't say I "really" liked him, or that he's one of my favourites.

Along with Oscar, imo also a pretty big season for this guy. Always been said around Europe as one of those 'top player' but never really had the chance to prove it at a big club, last season you could say it was his 1st year after Russia...etc but if he is truly be recognized as 1 of the top winger in the world he would need to improve on his statistics. He is very talented and is capable of doing Hazard moments, he is just not as flashy and willing to track back a lot so he is underrated by many people.

TheIceMan and oman43 like this

Along with Oscar, imo also a pretty big season for this guy. Always been said around Europe as one of those 'top player' but never really had the chance to prove it at a big club, last season you could say it was his 1st year after Russia...etc but if he is truly be recognized as 1 of the top winger in the world he would need to improve on his statistics. He is very talented and is capable of doing Hazard moments, he is just not as flashy and willing to track back a lot so he is underrated by many people.

Yes exactly this!

on the contrary i think that is one of his stong sides!

I know I meant because of things like that and not banging in a goal from 20 yards out or dribbling past 4 players in a role so he isn't recognized by other people as much as Hazard. Physically he is way better than Hazard imo, never injured and can run all game long without tired.

TheIceMan and oman43 like this

I know I meant because of things like that and not banging in a goal from 20 yards out or dribbling past 4 players in a role so he isn't recognized by other people as much as Hazard. Physically he is way better than Hazard imo, never injured and can run all game long without tired.

Yes I realized it, what you ment, but it was too late , my stupid post was already outthere!

MrBlueGuy likes this

When Torres is gone, Willian and Oscar are next on the hate target list by the fans.

Oscar has the potential to be a great player so if he can find some form he'll be fine.

Willian....he puts in a shift so he'll probably never be hated.

When Torres is gone, Willian and Oscar are next on the hate target list by the fans.

Naaa Oscar is next on the list and rightly too, needs to improve on his consistency or faces being forced out of the club. Then it will be Courtois when we start to concede a bit often than usual and the Cech fans will start to attack him in their 1st chance. Followed by Ramires and the hate list is complete for now.

I'm speaking on a technical level - sure Willian's purpose and productivity should definitely be more, but technically speaking, his close control and ability to beat his man is only 2nd to Hazard IMO.

His lack of productivity has a lot more to do with bad decision making in the final third, i.e. shooting instead of passing or passing instead of shooting or just failing to put in that decisive ball. I think he'll improve on that aspect this season though.

I agree the problem is his decision making,but that's not the main mistake he does imo. Comparatively, Hazard makes that mistake you mentioned much more than Willian does, especially when he isn't playing his best yet yet. Last season I was pulling my hair when Hazard was dribbling everybody and their mother in OUR half. That's not where you do that, and many times he lost possession in the second third, offering a counter to opposition. Then he started playing better and that was much less noticeable and prominent. And we don't need to say for the 3495874th time that Eden has bad decision making about shooting on the goal. He just doesn't do it as much as he should.

Now Willian's decision making problem is of a different nature imo and I feel bad for saying it so bluntly, but he's just not a clever person (or player as I don't know him personally, but judging by his interviews even in portuguese you can say he's far from the brightest kid in the class, very far). If the guy doesn't think, he doesn't execute, simple. Also he lacks some directness. He's all flair and technique and that's cute and dandy and it makes vids such as the one on the previous page mouthwatering. But he rarely does something out of it. He dribbles, he has such a class touching the ball, flawless ball control and first touch, but as he isn't direct or clever, well, the result is what we see.

Said all that, I think he will improve this season simply because one more season makes a lot of difference for players coming from a different league to the EPL. The first season can be tough, but normally the second is when they settle and grow. That's likely to be the case with him, but I wouldn't hold too high expectations because of those two limitations I've mentioned. While Mou can help him directness (someone like Cesc too), the cleverness part is there for good imo.

Miki-Liki, James and The Skipper like this

Now Willian's decision making problem is of a different nature imo and I feel bad for saying it so bluntly, but he's just not a clever person (or player as I don't know him personally, but judging by his interviews even in portuguese you can say he's far from the brightest kid in the class, very far).

I do not think that education has something to do with intelligence.Also,you have to look very carefully if you want to find an educated footballer,especially in countries like brazil where the education standard isn´t that good(according to the media).

WhatsTheMatic? likes this

I do not think that education has something to do with intelligence.Also,you have to look very carefully if you want to find an educated footballer,especially in countries like brazil where the education standard isn´t that good(according to the media).

I never mentioned education though. Being a teacher myself I know well the difference between both. He shows nice knowledge of the language, doesn't struggle with grammar, and bla bla bla you could think about education. He seems to have caught up with the education aspect of it and he's learning English quite well imo.

I'm talking basically about his inability of articulating his thoughts. If you read his interviews it's a repetition of something very superficial, time after time. This has nothing to do with his education. we have Neymar, for example, or David Luiz, both Brazilians, who can articulate their thoughts very well and talk things that go beyond the basic acknowledge of the subject. Articulating your thinking can be catalyzed by good education, but it's something about you, very little influenced by your upbringing.

Have you ever met a person that was difficult to have a deep conversation about a subject with them? Willian seems like that = but again, I've mentioned I don't know him personally, so I can't say for real, but based on his interviews, he isn't very bright.

edit: but the fact he may not be that clever, and still plays here and was wished by many, shows his quality in other things - and maybe even in managing his career and other stuff. Multiple intelligences is a very nice theory I like, so his major intelligences are probably somewhere else. I also like him a lot as a player, it just frustrates me that if he had a slight better end product he could be brilliant.

The Chels likes this

I thought Willian was one of our most consistent players last season. That was consistently adequate. I really like Willian, he's one of my favourite players, mainly because of his engine (similar to Rammy). MrBlueGuy got it spot on though - Willian stats have suffered because of his dedication to the team - something Hazard gets away with because he's Hazard. He is vital to the team too as he can play both centrally and on the right, something Oscar isn't blessed with. Plus JM and any right back loves him, and quite rightly.

Now Willian's decision making problem is of a different nature imo and I feel bad for saying it so bluntly, but he's just not a clever person (or player as I don't know him personally, but judging by his interviews even in portuguese you can say he's far from the brightest kid in the class, very far). If the guy doesn't think, he doesn't execute, simple.

Rooney, like many footballers, is the same. In interviews you can tell he's not the sharpest tool in the shed but he does have a 'footballing brain' so I'd say general intelligence and footballing intelligence are very different. I don't know if Willian lacks the footballing brain or if he's just not confident enough to take the riskier option (be it a through ball, shot, etc.).

- Willian stats have suffered because of his dedication to the team - something Hazard gets away with because he's Hazard.

His statistics have been poor throughout his career though.

Edited by LeChels_
The Mak, Barbara and The Skipper like this

I agree the problem is his decision making,but that's not the main mistake he does imo. Comparatively, Hazard makes that mistake you mentioned much more than Willian does, especially when he isn't playing his best yet yet. Last season I was pulling my hair when Hazard was dribbling everybody and their mother in OUR half. That's not where you do that, and many times he lost possession in the second third, offering a counter to opposition. Then he started playing better and that was much less noticeable and prominent. And we don't need to say for the 3495874th time that Eden has bad decision making about shooting on the goal. He just doesn't do it as much as he should.

Now Willian's decision making problem is of a different nature imo and I feel bad for saying it so bluntly, but he's just not a clever person (or player as I don't know him personally, but judging by his interviews even in portuguese you can say he's far from the brightest kid in the class, very far). If the guy doesn't think, he doesn't execute, simple. Also he lacks some directness. He's all flair and technique and that's cute and dandy and it makes vids such as the one on the previous page mouthwatering. But he rarely does something out of it. He dribbles, he has such a class touching the ball, flawless ball control and first touch, but as he isn't direct or clever, well, the result is what we see.

Said all that, I think he will improve this season simply because one more season makes a lot of difference for players coming from a different league to the EPL. The first season can be tough, but normally the second is when they settle and grow. That's likely to be the case with him, but I wouldn't hold too high expectations because of those two limitations I've mentioned. While Mou can help him directness (someone like Cesc too), the cleverness part is there for good imo.

exactly like i said before willian looks so good when play so hard working run here and there but on papers u will find him with poor end products 4 goals and 6 assist in 46 matches...u look to the video u feel he should be the team scorer