test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

10. Willian

Started by Jason,

6,383 posts in this topic

WHAT??????????????????????????????????

HOW????????????????????????????

how is fabregas going to play RW for us?

fabregas will be our second pivot player and a direct competition to rambo.

even if we go 4-3-3, we will play hazard-willian on the wings with salah-schurrle as the back ups, while matic, rambo, cesc, mvg, oscar as the CM options.

how does it even make sense to say that willian will be affected if cesc joins!!!!!

Thank you. It's like he's never even seen Fabregas play.

Although i didn't understand any shit what was said. A cool video Willian posted on his Facebook account.

I guess his road to the World Cup :)

Kieran. and Styles like this

How come that he isnt starting ahead of Hulk? He has incredible work rate and better link with Oscar, he can play left right or center and he has decent finish, not the best but Hulk wasnt anything special either.

I didnt watch Brazil too much recently in friendlies, but was Willian that bad or sth? How come Bernard is better than Willian (at least Scolari favours him more)?

I understand Big Phil wants players he trust, but Hulk realy didnt do anything vs Croatia and recent games.

How come that he isnt starting ahead of Hulk? He has incredible work rate and better link with Oscar, he can play left right or center and he has decent finish, not the best but Hulk wasnt anything special either.

I didnt watch Brazil too much recently in friendlies, but was Willian that bad or sth? How come Bernard is better than Willian (at least Scolari favours him more)?

I understand Big Phil wants players he trust, but Hulk realy didnt do anything vs Croatia and recent games.

I think it's more about what the nation wants, rather than what Scolari wants.

Brazil's history suggest that they've always enjoyed players that can entertain a crowd. You won't see Brazil playing like Italy or France. At least not in this life.

That's why David Luiz and Hulk are untouchable in Scolari's first eleven, although you can easily find some other players better than them. One thing is for sure - if those two were Germans, I bet Mertesacker/Boateng and Muller were starting ahead of them.

Dante and Miranda, as centre-backs, are better than Luiz. No doubt about that.

Fernandinho (or Hernanes) should start over that mug Paulinho.

Willian > Hulk.

As for Dani Alves and Fred - they are lucky enough that there's no one decent to replace them, only 2nd hand players.

I wouldn't add Luiz to that list at all, considering he is regularly Brazil's best defender whenever he does play for them. He justifiably keeps players like Miranda and Dante out.

You can't say the same about Hulk.

Willian does not have a decent finish. He had 4 goals in 42 games with us despite playing the #10 in most games. Hulk was overrated by many on here (who wanted to pay 50M pounds for him) but he can score. The way the team is setup, it is definitely understandable to go with someone who can score (and cut in from the wing) than it does a work-rate guy.

Brazil's history suggest that they've always enjoyed players that can entertain a crowd. You won't see Brazil playing like Italy or France. At least not in this life.

That's why David Luiz and Hulk are untouchable in Scolari's first eleven, although you can easily find some other players better than them. One thing is for sure - if those two were Germans, I bet Mertesacker/Boateng and Muller were starting ahead of them.

Willian > Hulk.

As for Dani Alves and Fred - they are lucky enough that there's no one decent to replace them, only 2nd hand players.

Your posted is a bit dated - as far as playing exciting goes. Brazilians learned that lesson with the 1982 and 1994 teams. Of course there are many people that would rather see us play exciting football and draw rather than pragmatic and win, but when 1982 lost and 1994 won, that myth died here. We'd rather win, in whatever way that comes (and believe me, at some point - before 1982, the opposite was true, we'd rather lose playing beautiful, exciting football, and then we lost and people changed - most of them anyway).

There's no attachment or excitement coming from Brazil fans towards Hulk. There's a part of us that have a soft spot for Bernard for his last years in Atletico Mineiro, but even then I wouldn't say it's a significant part. We aren't claiming for anyone.

The general public has been falling in love for Luiz - he wasn't until the Confed Cup as popular here as he was for Chelsea since he's been there. And he's been brilliant for Brazil more often than not. I have no idea why Dante - another not popular player here - is in that team instead of Miranda (hated by many who disliked his ex-club Sao Paulo, but also not a significant part of the crowd), but it has nothing to do with excitement (Luiz and Dante don't do anything exciting when playing for Brazil - actually Dante doesn't know what exciting is unless his poor decisions that gives us heart attacks count).

Luiz is viewed by most Brazilians as the guy we can trust to give his 101% in each match, a player that has a lot of clutch and unless fans followed him in Chelsea I don't think any Brazilian would associate brain-fart and David Luiz in any form.

As for the others - Paulinho over Hernanes and Fernandinho and Alves and Fred having spots in the team, I think you have a point. Hernanes is way too much better than Paulinho and I wouldn't be surprised if this would turn into the first change in the starting XI. I still don't know why Hulk is playing ahead of Willian though, but if he's dropped Bernard will replace him because for Felipão Willian is Oscar's replacement and if there's one thing Felipão is stubborn about is who replaces who - especially in a WC.

The Chels likes this

Willian > Hulk.

If that was the case Coutinho and Lucas Moura would have made the squad and starting 11 even in place of Paulinho/Ramires and Hulk respectively. And what's entertaining about hulk? is it how regularly he falls flat on his arse or how often he surrenders possesion in embarrassing fashion. I'm not exaggerating when I say he's one of the most frustrating players to watch in world football which makes your post a bit weird.

The Rising Sun likes this

Willian does not have a decent finish. He had 4 goals in 42 games with us despite playing the #10 in most games. Hulk was overrated by many on here (who wanted to pay 50M pounds for him) but he can score. The way the team is setup, it is definitely understandable to go with someone who can score (and cut in from the wing) than it does a work-rate guy.

You must be crazy.

Kieran. likes this

Willian > Hulk.

lol

The "nation" wants Willian starting games. He is way more "entertaining" than Hulk.

zolayes likes this

I think with the Fabregas signing his place is under even more threat especially if he does not improve in the final third

I think with the Fabregas signing his place is under even more threat especially if he does not improve in the final third

Not really.

Aside from Hazard, Willian is the attacking player that played most of our top matches. Aside from the West-Ham game Mourinho always preferred Willian in the 4-3-3 setup. He was the player Mourinho raved about in having improved since the Shakthar days. He's also a player that would give his life for the team (not literally) A fact Mourinho touched up upon after Hazard's critical mistake when he didn't not cover his fullback against Atletico. Mourinho values defensive stability above almost anything, seeïng he never criticised any of the defending 4.

Willian is also seen as a winger, and both Oscar and Fabregas are not. Schürrle will always be the main threat for Willian's starting spot (and Salah too a lesser extent).

Oscar will be our Number 10 next season, but Mourinho won't think twice about replacing him with Fabregas if he performs the way he did in the last part of our season. I don't think Mourinho was up in joy when he saw Oscar performing like he did in Brazil. Mainly because he expected it, and it validates most people concerns that he was holding himself back for the World Cup.

zolayes likes this

You must be crazy.

1 goal every 10.5 games and 1 goal every 11 shots games for an attacking midfielder is flat out bad but he's never been a scorer. He scored only 20 goals in 140 games in Russia. He is not a good finisher.

Daniel1980 and Madmax like this

Big mistake on Scolari's part not playing Willian, it might do them in against Colombia in the quarters if they get there.