test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

10. Willian

Started by Jason,

6,383 posts in this topic

This forum is embarrassing sometime, after a bad result the players topic are full of "shit", "pure shit", and full of "amazing". "as good as Ronaldo", "best CB in the world". "godlike performances" after a good result.

William had a decent game. His problem was his finishing with 2 or 3 wasteful shoots. He didn't defended well today, because the team barely had defensive duties today.

He really needs to improve his shooting next season.

Most of his goals have been fantastic, well taken strikes tbh.

Henrique likes this

came forward this season without a doubt and loves the club...

I think I could like him more then hazard...

I see...

Nobody asked Willian to be Mata but surely he can do that much much better with his final ball in the attacking third (in his own way). Was he even THAT average in this aspect when he was still at Shakhtar?

From what I have seen from him, he looks like he is a work horse player but lacks the final ball this can be seen by his poor scoring and assists stats not only at Chelsea but also at Shaktar and Anzi.

One of my favourite players of the season. First season here, works endlessly, amazing technique, proves he can be a very good no 10, manage to get a spot in Brazil NT. Room for improvement of course next season. But it really is worth mentioning that he just established himself like no other player i've seen for a while. :clap:

ChelseaFSee, zolayes and kellzfresh like this

I think for his first season it's been good. Difficult for him under a new manager and coming from a shit league where all he was asked to do was attack. His defensive side and work ethic has been immense, when we have a top class forward and his decision making is better we will see the best side of this lad.

zolayes likes this

He got into the world cup squad ahead of Coutinho, Lucas, Kaka and Robinho. If that doesn't mean at least a ''good'' season then our expectations are unreachable.

I like Willian a lot and think his stats bring harsh criticism as imo he has done well and next season I think we will see a lot more from him in terms of goals and assists for sure but I would not link him getting into Brazil with form tbh. He has done well but players like Julio Cesar have virtually played most of this season without any first team football yet will find himself as no.1 keeper. Diego Alves does not even get in there. Maxwell gets in ahead of Filipe Luis while players like Henrique are in ahead of Miranda.

The manager of Brazil seems to pick players based on how he feels they fit the national team rather than based on actual club form. Heard it from other people as well. A main Brazilian football researcher who told me that players picked are never based on meritocracy but instead other factors. Can't be asked to mention them.

No discrediting Willian though. Just reiterating that I doubt it club form that influences who is picked but on the other hand if Willian was awful he probably would be sitting at home this summer.

The Skipper, zolayes, DYC. and 1 other like this

I think that's stretching it. Willian (and also Fernandinho) are virtually the same players they were when they played for Shakhtar, so that their now receiving some recognition and getting selected for the NT isn't really an indication of how good of a season they're having. Ramires, for example, has been pretty poor this season.

I think Willian's work rate and energy is tremendous, but Schurrle can give you that for almost 15 million less than what Willian cost us. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect better quality on the ball and more end product from him. Having said that though, he very well could turnout to be a good signing for us eventually. Modric is a good example of why fans shouldn't be too quick to write off new signings.

The thing is with Modric he doesn't actually improves his end product but rather his technique and being even more complete such as now he is very good at shielding the ball, defending...etc while his goals and assists stats are virtually the same since Spurs days unless you count having 2-3 more as an amazing improvement. I feel Willian will get a bit more end product if he is able to improve his technical side. I can recall quite a few times he messed up some attacks with his crosses or wrong decision making, for example that overhead kick at City.

His stamina and pure energy is amazing, the only thing I don't like about him that he doesn't shoot enough. He has a fantastic technique, he scored some wonderful goals outside the box. He looks a little emberrased to try too much and passes instead.

Very solid first season. He works incredibly hard and doesn’t lose the ball cheaply like every other attacker in the team not named Hazard. He needs to take more initiative next season because he has the talent to do more.

Pleased for him that he made the squad for the World Cup.

Barbara likes this

Would like to see him work on his final ball and consistency in finishing... Apart from that he has shown he has the tools to be a very important member of the team.

He got into the world cup squad ahead of Coutinho, Lucas, Kaka and Robinho. If that doesn't mean at least a ''good'' season then our expectations are unreachable.

Countinho is the only player out of the list that does deserve to go to the world cup. He's had a great season and imo he's the best and most natural playmaker brazil currently has to offer.

Also the fact that Ramires,Oscar and Paulinho in particular made the list tells me this season's form wasn't taken into consideration whatsoever and the list has been predetermined a long time ago. The exclusion of atletico pair felipe luis and Miranda is also quite farcical.

Does scolari ever monitor Brazilian players outside of the Olympic and confed cup squad at all?.

Happy for Willian however and well deserved.

laura90 likes this

Would like to see him work on his final ball and consistency in finishing... Apart from that he has shown he has the tools to be a very important member of the team.

Isn't that what we critisized Moses for at the end of last season?

Azpinator likes this

Maybe some did but Willian is far more talented than Moses.

In which aspects exactly "far more"?