Willian

Jase

He has 2 goals and 1 assist in 20 matches. That's ridiculous for an attacking player who plays for Chelsea. He does everything else so well, but once he gets near the 18 yard box, he looks clueless. He needs to do a lot of work with his incisiveness in the final third if he wants to be considered a top player.

This.

He has 2 goals and 1 assist in 20 matches. That's ridiculous for an attacking player who plays for Chelsea. He does everything else so well, but once he gets near the 18 yard box, he looks clueless. He needs to do a lot of work with his incisiveness in the final third if he wants to be considered a top player.

Whilst I agree with what you say he does need to up his game. On the other hand I also feel his work rate and pressing goes UN-noticed to many a follower of Chelsea. I was at the Bridge some weeks ago and was given the task of choosing one player to watch for the club team I run as an assessment on one player, I chose Willian. I can honestly say I was blown away with his energy off the ball and his ability to close down and pressure an opponent.

This is his first full season and his game has changed dramatically since he was at Shaktar Donetsk. He was never asked to track back, pressure, close down or work to the rate he has done here. Jose is making him a different players to what he wants for the team.

Di Maria went from a headless chicken under Mourinho to arguably the best player at Real this season (at least most consistent).

Look how great our Juan Mata was when he was deployed as the rw under Mourinho..

You're joking right? Di Maria is miles better than Willian.

Problem being is he has already been wrote off. No second season, no second chances he is just shit, simple as.

This forum is getting worse and worse with knee-jerk reaction I am sure of it.

Most often I'd agree with you ("he sucks" after 3 games and other such idiocy) but the fact is that there's no way Willian will ever live up to his price tag. He just isn't an elite player and we paid an elite price to get him. He's also not 19, he's an established player of 25. He is who he is. He works hard, has incredible speed and stamina all of which Mourinho really values but...he has 2 goals in 37 games as an attacking player which is just awful. He also doesn't create a lot of chances for other players. He's a good player and a good fit for what Mourinho wants to do but not worth nearly what we paid for him.

We definitely overpaid by about £10m for him, but at the same time our attacking system is marginalising him in the final third.

He's never been a "stats" player anyway, just look at his stats at Shakhtar or his stats in Brazil. His role in attack is the assist before the assist.

His workrate is insane, but the fact is we could of got someone to press and track back for about 3 million, not 30.

pressing and tracking back are different matters compared with stealing the ball. stealing required more concentration and technique and willian is good at that. or maybe he can be the reversed version of gareth bale, putting him on wing back position and let his coverage ability create havoc on opponents wing side

The thing is barring his so called lack of goals he has nigh on everything else, so if he starts adding goals what will people say then?

Will he be the complete player? I think he will be, he does everything else.

assists? incisiveness in the final third? it's not just goals.