test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim

Sorry For Downtime

Started by Jim,

87 posts in this topic

I thought I was banned.And then I told myself " There are plenty to be banned before you " :Goober:

Good luck Jim !

I'm more than happy to oblige if you'd like to be promoted up the order :Goober:

Heisenberg likes this

I'm more than happy to oblige if you'd like to be promoted up the order :Goober:

You dont need help, you are doing a fantastic job here, all the ones I wanted to be banned were banned. :Goober:

BlueLion. likes this

Jim is currently looking at getting us our own dedicated server. Our current server costs us £60 a month, which is achievable with current donations.

To avoid errors like this we need to get our own dedicated server, which can cost up to £200 a month. Obviously, that is a massive difference in price.

The fact is unless we can get that amount of donations or funds through advertising in articles, any current problems will persist, meaning increased downtime.

I will PM you when I get home, I think I can help you with that...

Jim is currently looking at getting us our own dedicated server. Our current server costs us £60 a month, which is achievable with current donations.

To avoid errors like this we need to get our own dedicated server, which can cost up to £200 a month. Obviously, that is a massive difference in price.

The fact is unless we can get that amount of donations or funds through advertising in articles, any current problems will persist, meaning increased downtime.

What about a Youtube channel? We can make big bucks to have a good server and maybe pay a couple of beers to Jim and all you admins.

Yuvala and the other guys are pretty damn good doing videos, we might do some SEO with articles about the videos and blast with the Chelsea fans.

What you reckon guys?

PS: If you need me for SEO/Codding/PSD Shit, let me know.

Heres an idea if you guys need to raise more money for the servers.

Why dont we have VIP users? It could be a subscription, couple of quid a month. We can have a VIP area just for subscribers. If enough of us subscribe then it could be worth it?

I like that idea. If 60 people pay £1 a month we're already covering the cost for the current server.

I like that idea. If 60 people pay £1 a month we're already covering the cost for the current server.

I think it's a great idea, it wouldn't take TOO many people for it to start adding up a lot. My brother is really into gaming and he watches a lot of people on this site called "twitch" where you just essentially watch people play video games and they talk or whatever. They offer subscriptions where basically all you get is a few more emoticons in the chat and removes the adds (which most people have ad blocker anyway), and some of the bigger personalities on there get hundreds of subscribers at $5 a month.

Surely if some guy playing video games in his house can do that, a site as good as this one could.

I like the idea, but it has previously been shot-down as being elitist...

I'm all for it, but what could we include as things in this VIP section? I'm also not exactly sure if it would be possible to remove adverts for VIP users.

Any ideas?

I'm all for it, but what could we include as things in this VIP section? I'm also not exactly sure if it would be possible to remove adverts for VIP users.

Any ideas?

I can remove adverts for certain groups using an if statement.

Muzchap likes this

If VIP !!= adverts ELSE = adverts ;)

Cool!

Could work. But would people really want to pay £1/£2/whatever just to remove adverts? What could we include in the VIP section? I was going to say possibly the multimedia section, but that would exclude a few people and might deter people from sharing their stuff.

We could have a fantasy football league only for VIPs. And our names could be gold? :) or a different emblem or something.

What adverts are there in the first place?

I'm sure plenty of the regs would pay a certain amount of money a month to help the site.

I don't think you can implement VIP memberships on a football forum tbh. I've been trying to come up with interesting stuff but can honostly think of nothing worth mentioning.

It would also create cliques and divisions, do not want..

I'm glad to make a monthly contribution to this site without anything 'special' in return.

Stingray likes this

I have also noticed that we allow guests to view forums as well. If we disable this, surely it would reduce traffic?

If we disable guests than how will ppl know whether or not to join the forum lol

Problem is mate, we only have one ad on the site! :lol:

Board index top and sidebar block. Topic view after 1st post.

Board index top and sidebar block. Topic view after 1st post.

But they all blend in and are hardly noticeable. Will people pay 1-2 pounds per month to remove them?

Any ideas?

Lol. If i would say what ideas i have, you'd ban me :-)

Ps: seriously, what if you need to ban a vip member?

But they all blend in and are hardly noticeable. Will people pay 1-2 pounds per month to remove them?

I think if enough people agree, so that its actually helping the forum, then a fair few people would do it. And it would have nothing to do with the adds (Which i have never seen or noticed btw :D).

Perhaps, just see how many people would be willing to make regular payments. Make say the first of every month "Donation Day". And then if people "need something" just give people a little badge saying Donater, and you could put in like 2 month donator, or 6 month donater etc. For how many consecutive months they have contributed or something...

But at the same time you don't want to alienate people, who don't want to or can't make small monthly contributions.

I don't know... Just thinking out loud... :)

BlueLion. likes this