test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueLion.

Member of the Month - July 2013

Started by BlueLion.,

103 posts in this topic

@, I get where you're coming from, but I think that you won't get many nominations this way and most people will just forget about it.

On any account, my MOTM this month is Hutcho as well.

Hutcho likes this

:lol: Haha probably, Chou! It's just an experiment; if it works then great. If not, then we go back to the normal way! I'm just trying to think of ways to make it a little more representative of the whole month :)

CHOULO19 likes this

^ well, it depends. Because this has become more of a popularity contest than an assessment of contribution. If someone has 20 nominations then you kind of have to include them. But let's say someone has five/six nominations and I feel they have been nominated too many times in the last few months or have won it a couple of times already in quick succession; or even someone is nominated who I think hasn't actually done that much this month, I won't include them on the poll.

Just trying to make it a little fairer. This month is an experiment, just to see how this new method goes.

I don't think that's the right way to make this less of a popularity contest, tbh. Instead of screwing the "democratic" system we've had, why not simply introduce rules and restrictions? I don't know if that would change anything (probably not) but it would be at least fairer instead of a system in which one person assesses the nominees and decides whether one deserves to be in the poll or not. It's nothing personal against you Alex and I don't mean to offend you - I just think that people might get upset when they see they aren't included in the final voting despite having more nominations than guys with less that are included.

I don't think that's the right way to make this less of a popularity contest, tbh. Instead of screwing the "democratic" system we've had, why not simply introduce rules and restrictions? I don't know if that would change anything (probably not) but it would be at least fairer instead of a system in which one person assesses the nominees and decides whether one deserves to be in the poll or not. It's nothing personal against you Alex and I don't mean to offend you - I just think that people might get upset when they see they aren't included in the final voting despite having more nominations than guys with less that are included.

All fair points, and all acknowledged.

But I'm not saying I'm going to be like Hitler and say "sorry, I don't like you so you're not going on the poll". I'm a little surprised you thought I'd take such a line!

All fair points, and all acknowledged.

But I'm not saying I'm going to be like Hitler and say "sorry, I don't like you so you're not going on the poll". I'm a little surprised you thought I'd take such a line!

I didn't intend to make it sound like that. And as I said, it's not what I think but rather what other people could think (hypothetically) ;)

I didn't intend to make it sound like that. And as I said, it's not what I think but rather what other people could think (hypothetically) ;)

I see what you're saying. I am obviously going to be fair! But let's say for the sake of argument that I have 4 people on the poll already, but then two people have 4 nominations each, I wouldn't necessarily just include them in the poll; I'd assess their contribution and past record of nominations/titles.

Barbara and Amblève. like this

I see what you're saying. I am obviously going to be fair! But let's say for the sake of argument that I have 4 people on the poll already, but then two people have 4 nominations each, I wouldn't necessarily just include them in the poll; I'd assess their contribution and past record of nominations/titles.

It might make me take the whole thing more seriously because a popularity contest is plain stupid imo (and I think it might even lead some members to have some sort of post that may be popular, but that contributes little - or nothing - to the forum). Now recognizing members who actually contribute to the forum is always nice, as although Alex and @Jim as well the rest of the staff put a great work here, the members also contribute highly to the success by bringing info, proposing interesting debates and discussions, etc.

I'm not a fan of the current system because I was under the impression it was more about popularity than contribution (that was how I felt when I saw people contesting why WHS was voted the other month as he 'only' gave us scoop on Mourinho's signing back in February. I was like, isn't that the highest kind of contribution you can have in a forum anyway? That was when I started not taking the award seriously) (I have to admit I'm not a fan of the crown either, but hey, that's just being picky so ignore it :P).

So I think this is a step in the right direction, Alex.

Also for so many polls around (and even some awards) there's a board who defines the nominations and then have people voting on their favorite. So I don't see democracy being hurt here. It only makes sense the site administrator (or the entire staff) decides who's going to get nominated and have members voting. It seems so natural in my eyes :dunno:

I also like @Ollie suggestion about people nominating people weekly, but I guess that becomes too handful for you guys to have. But it was also a good idea.

BlueLion. likes this

I only mean nominate weekly in your own mind then work out who you think deserves it. I know the amount of stuff these guys need to do lol but we can just make it easier to work out for ourselves.

Barbara likes this

Alex ....

Rule number one is really that everything has to be clear to everyone in advance. If not, they revolt. So a private thing will bite you in the ass mate.

So make it transparant. I like the weekly 'bump' Idea. Then go formal. And choose.

As I understood it. It IS about contribution in its widest meaning. You could gather votes weekly, with the staff eliminate jokers (eg me!).

#Alexout #WewantourBlueLionback

erm only place to be for moi

Only place to be is a legend. I missed his posts a bit this month.

[Random Post] I definitely think you should get a MOTM badge if you have won it in the past... :D [/Random Post].

Alex ....

Rule number one is really that everything has to be clear to everyone in advance. If not, they revolt. So a private thing will bite you in the ass mate.

So make it transparant. I like the weekly 'bump' Idea. Then go formal. And choose.

As I understood it. It IS about contribution in its widest meaning. You could gather votes weekly, with the staff eliminate jokers (eg me!).

I see what you're saying mate, but if I was running a country I'd take your point a lot more seriously! This is just a forum.

If people don't like the idea and it flops then I'm fine with that. I'm just trying to do something that is in my mind in the best interests of the forum on the whole, by ensuring we have a representative set of nominees! :)

Stingray likes this

I need a list of alias for some members when I vote... I am to damn old to keep up with the name changes! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BlueLion. likes this