test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

Wulfert van Ginkel

Started by BlueLion.,

1,304 posts in this topic

He seemed to struggle with any pass that wasn't 5-10 yards and right in front of him against Madrid, at this point it's his athleticism as discipline that's impressing me more.

Is he getting the Mikel treatment from José?

i think Mikel turned out fine. v.Ginkel can be our very own DLP...100% made in Chelsea giphy.gif

Edited by Sidzeret

What's that?

Mikel was in Norway an offensive midfielder and the Nigerian national coach blamed José for playing Mikel in the "Makelele role" and destroying his offensive play. Ginkel last season scored about 15 goals and against Madrid he played the Holding role in a 4-3-3. Just a thought i had :D Edited by NiclasCFC

Mikel was in Norway an offensive midfielder and the Nigerian national coach blamed José for playing Mikel in the "Makelele role" and destroying his offensive play. Ginkel last season scored about 15 goals and against Madrid he played the Holding role in a 4-3-3. Just a thought i had :D

Jose played Mikel as a DM in 12 of the 27 games Mikel actually played. In the other games Mikel played with Makelele. Jose isn't the one that turned Mikel into a holding midfield player - it was the subsequent use of him there after Jose went that made Mikel into the player he is now. It wasn't Mikel's goals that were "destroyed", he was never really a goal getter - it was more his creativity and freedom that was prohibited.

Marco Van Ginkel will not grab as many goals in this Chelsea side like he did for Vitesse last season even if he doesn't play the most defensive player in the pivot simply because he'll have to restrain himself more as he'll have 4 players in front of him that'll do most of the attacking in the final third.

MVG is a B2B midfielder, Mikel was a playmaker, there's a difference.

Tomo and DDA like this

This guy is awesome for us. His football intelligence is fantastic for his age and his tenacity injects life into our midfield. My namesake is a lot silkier for sure but Van Ginkel's variety in his skill set is so nice to have. Love this kid.

From the few min I've seen of him: he's great at winning the ball back, but awful at passing.

I don't know... I still ain't convinced with him... I hope that he can be more agressive with his game.

Unless you want him to go all Rocky Balboa on others, I dont see how much more aggressive he can be.

More aggressive with his passes.

Edited by Jcar92

Really like to see Van Ginkel, has a very good work rate; He's played really well and is very aggressive especially for Pre-season. Wish him all the best, looks like he is already transitioned in the team...

yuvala likes this

His tackling and break-up of play (sometimes by fouling) has been pretty impressive in pre-season and if his passing improves he will be a v. good midfield signing. I think the combination of him, Ramires and Lampard in the midfield against Madrid probably didn't help him shine to be honest, all three of them miscued passes and looked uncomfortable under pressure which ultimately kept inviting more and more pressure onto us.

He's young and inexperienced. What did you all expect? Give the lad some time, no doubt in my mind Jose will turn Justin into a fine midfielder

Edited by Cicero

His tackling and break-up of play (sometimes by fouling) has been pretty impressive in pre-season and if his passing improves he will be a v. good midfield signing. I think the combination of him, Ramires and Lampard in the midfield against Madrid probably didn't help him shine to be honest, all three of them miscued passes and looked uncomfortable under pressure which ultimately kept inviting more and more pressure onto us.

The biggest problem we have in midfield, it's that nearly all our players are not great moving the ball to their weak foot when needed to make space for themself. I noticed that on many instances, a quick turn to their weak foot would have enable us to keep the ball moving and giving them more time to escape the pressing and finding a passing solution in the less crowded zone.