๐Ÿ‘• Chelsea Kits Thread

Surprised this story hasn't got more of a reaction!..

Massive loss, retarded decision from adidas.. Sports Direct hold a monopoly. Consumer choice should come first, clearly the club don't want the shirt being discounted.

I had to boycott the megastore this year as Sportsdirect were selling the same kit at half the price. By the time i get patches, numbering, shipping etc, it ends up costing $150.00 from the megastore. At SportsDirect I picked up this seasons home kit,long sleeve full patching, 3rd kit,long sleeve black full patching, junior kit, Chelsea Pjs, Chelsea-tshirt, calendar and yearbook for $300.00. Would have cost me double at the megastore.

Oh please bring back our FA Cup final winning jersey..........................From 1970 !!!!!!!!!!!!! as worn by Osgood, Harris, Webb, Houseman,Hudson etc.. :blue scalf: I had one years ago. Really heavy material, but it was pure class, and the shorts with the white stripe....ahhhh the memories........A really class kit that (to me) has never been bettered.

Bloody Hell......I'll have to stop this reminiscing, I get all soppy :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

adidas kits suck. if I were not a Chelsea or Basel fan, I might never buy adidas. Macron make better-looking stuff but I guess they don't have the big money to pay the big clubs to wear their stuff.

http://www.macron.com/shop/us/en/football/official-merchandising/realbetis.html

http://blogs.chelseafc.com/?p=3249

Itโ€™s hard to imagine now but if all had gone well for Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final against Sheffield Wednesday in April 1966, blue might not have been the colour for us. Or rather, not our only colour.

There was a colour clash with Wednesdayโ€™s blue and white striped shirts and according to the competition rules, both teams had to use their change kits. But instead of opting for the regular yellow change strip, Chelsea manager Tommy Docherty decided that his team would wear blue and black stripes.

PA-143333.jpg

Donโ€™t forget that it was the mid-1960s โ€“ a time of great experimentation โ€“ and the Doc, then in his 30s, was a pretty innovative character in keeping with the spirit of the era.

The Scot had introduced the iconic blue shorts and white socks to our home kit at the start of the 1964-65 season โ€“ a distinctive colour combination is now synonymous with Chelsea Football Club. But things might have turned out differently if fate had dealt us a kinder hand at Villa Park in 1966.

According to former Chelsea chairman Brian Mears in the book Football Under The Blue Flag, Docherty was keen to adopt the Inter Milan colours as our permanent strip and he would have done so if we had won the game. But on a horrible bog of a pitch, relegation-threatened Wednesday beat the high-flying (Black and) Blues 2-0 and essentially put paid to that idea.

โ€œEveryone blamed the kit and though maybe we shouldnโ€™t wear it again,โ€ said former Chelsea midfielder John Hollins in the book Blue is the Collar.

โ€œThat shirt got an absolute hammering from the players,โ€ he added. โ€œLooking back at it now, we did look good in it, very good. But forget it. After that it was no more โ€“ gone, out the window.โ€

Footballers are a pretty superstitious breed but the trauma of that 1966 semi-final defeat must have cut pretty deep because it would be another 36 years before we would get another shirt in which black featured prominently.

It was at the start of the 2002-03 season when the club introduced a new โ€˜midnightโ€™ kit, which was basically an all-black number with royal blue trim. It looked great but more importantly, we also enjoyed much better fortune in it than we did with the Inter-style kit, coming from behind twice to win 3-2 at Blackburn Rovers in its first competitive outing and going on to finish fourth in the Premier League and securing a spot in the Champions League at the end of the season.

Black may have been utilised prominently in our kits before 2002 but it has since become a popular choice for our change strips, featuring in nine of the past 11 seasons.

There have been some pretty sharp Chelsea shirts during the past decade with my personal favourite being the 2008-09 away kit โ€“ a stark black outfit with a simple white trimming which looked tough and intimidating. The players certainly looked the part and they did the business in it, winning six and drawing once in the seven matches in which it was worn.

Which brings us to the recently introduced third kit for the 2013-14 season, a stunning looking silver-trimmed outfit which was introduced with the rather clever โ€˜itโ€™s not black, itโ€™s blueโ€™ advertising slogan.

Chelsea fans can understand that sentiment although it seems to have has been completely lost on clueless non-supporters who still seem to think that we have no history. Yes, we know itโ€™s really black but itโ€™s still a great-looking Chelsea shirt that will hopefully be worn in some memorable matches as we chase down more honours in the new campaign.

Interesting piece on how Chelsea almost copied Inter Milan's kit and because of one bad game we avoided black on away kits until this modern era. I for one really like the recent black the away kits I just wish they'd include more blue accents with the black.

That away is beautiful. Is the design like the Schalke one without the pinstripes and with a collar?

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/14/15-kits/schalke-04-2014-15-adidas-home-football-kit.html

I hope the third isn't as bad as you say as the other two are instant classics.

That Schalke kit it classy as heck!