Lewis Baker

Stats

Sad cafe...

Middlesbrough confident of signing Chelsea's Lewis Baker on loan despite Birmingham City & Reading interest

ww.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/middlesbrough-confident-signing-chelseas-lewis-13456673

Gutted he seemingly isnt sticking around and given game time here.

Positives of the 2 year deal to Boro (If it happens) they should get promoted this season provided they keep Gibson and Baker does join. Gives him a year to make himself a first team player/gain managers trust and next season should be a started for a premier league team. Deals to Reading/Birmingham make less sense 

24 minutes ago, gadget said:

Gutted he seemingly isnt sticking around and given game time here.

Positives of the 2 year deal to Boro (If it happens) they should get promoted this season provided they keep Gibson and Baker does join. Gives him a year to make himself a first team player/gain managers trust and next season should be a started for a premier league team. Deals to Reading/Birmingham make less sense 

He had first team player experience last year with Vitesse and has accumulated over 100 starts with clubs+country. This makes little or no sense , gutted like a fish he hasn't be given a chance this season.

2015  Sheffield Wednesday (loan) 4 (0)
2015  Milton Keynes Dons (loan) 12 (3)
2015–2017  Vitesse (loan) 64 (15)
National team
2011 England U17 7 (1)
2013–2014 England U19 14 (9)
2014–2015 England U20 7 (1)
2015–2017 England U21 17 (8)

39 minutes ago, mccg said:

He had first team player experience last year with Vitesse and has accumulated over 100 starts with clubs+country. This makes little or no sense , gutted like a fish he hasn't be given a chance this season.

National team
2011 England U17 7 (1)

It only makes sense IF Conte wasn't impressed by him throughout pre season.

Musonda, Boga and Christensen seem to be 'part' of the first team and they were all mentioned by Conte at least once during pre season....as for Baker, I don't really recall him being mentioned.

9 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

It only makes sense IF Conte wasn't impressed by him throughout pre season.

Musonda, Boga and Christensen seem to be 'part' of the first team and they were all mentioned by Conte at least once during pre season....as for Baker, I don't really recall him being mentioned.

Might be Conte wants a fully experienced at their peak cm and dosn't want to take a risk at Lewis potential and make another point to the board . Who knows anymore with this club!

Feels harsh on baker. He bought in and played well at his last loan. 2 year deal feels like the end of his Chelsea career unless he really turns into something undeniable. What a shame, i hoped he would stick with the club this year and learn under Cesc

I think for his development Middlesbrough is a good loan.

For some of the promoted / bottom half PL teams he might have been a good punt too, but there's always the risk of not getting enough games like Chalobah at Burnley couple years ago so it's better to play more at lower level than watch games from the stands at top level. Also there aren't too many suitable PL clubs left who haven't already got themselves a loanee from Chelsea and the PL rules allow only one loanee from the same parent club. 

Baker's only really played at professional level footy in Eredivisie and while his performances there were great it's still a massive step up to go straight from there to the Premier League so maybe for him it's better to commit to a long term loan at a top Championship side and if they get promoted then he's already an integral part of their squad so there's a good chance he'd get a lot of experience from PL level next year.

Long term loans seem to be the new trend. Courtois was obviously the first to do that but he was bought for a decent amount of money so doesn't really count, but after that we've seen two year loans for Christensen, Baker (Vitesse), Kalas, Piazon, Van Ginkel and now again Baker at Middlesbrough. For the players these long term loans are great, they get a sense of belonging at their loan clubs and can focus on developing their game instead of always having to adjust to new surroundings at a new club which takes is obviously bound to take it's toll on the youngsters. 

5 hours ago, mccg said:

National team
2011 England U17 7 (1)

I agree. Conte doesn't seem to rate him and looks like he prefers players 25+ to be part of our team

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Kenedy n Baker loaned-  bench on Saturday will be interesting, anybody going to the match take your boots

What a shambles the board in most have been this summer , can't believe they still havn't learnt from past nightmares, this should have been another season when we kicked on and added depth to the quality(Morata-Bakayoko-Rudiger hopefully upgrades from what we had) to compete in league+champions league , but to sell Ake-Matic-Chalobah,loan out Ruben looks like Baker in most looks like terrible business giving the state of our squad and 10th August still shy in 3 or 4 positions .

27 minutes ago, mccg said:

What a shambles the board in most have been this summer , can't believe they still havn't learnt from past nightmares, this should have been another season when we kicked on and added depth to the quality(Morata-Bakayoko-Rudiger hopefully upgrades from what we had) to compete in league+champions league , but to sell Ake-Matic-Chalobah,loan out Ruben looks like Baker in most looks like terrible business giving the state of our squad and 10th August still shy in 3 or 4 positions .

Yeah think most Chels feel the same -and I am not that surprised to be honest. I reckon this wont be a title chasing season by the board, , though it is by the players, manager and fans. Every team wants to beat the champions, and can't see much past City and their insane spending. A spree where two of their players cost the same as the whole Brighton set up. I am prepared to be surprised, but this conservative spending by our very rich club, I am expecting top four and/or a domestic cup

5 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Yeah think most Chels feel the same -and I am not that surprised to be honest. I reckon this wont be a title chasing season by the board, , though it is by the players, manager and fans. Every team wants to beat the champions, and can't see much past City and their insane spending. A spree where two of their players cost the same as the whole Brighton set up. I am prepared to be surprised, but this conservative spending by our very rich club, I am expecting top four and/or a domestic cup

Sound weird after a title winning season but i'd be content with a top 4 finish. Last season we outplayed expectations + the Manchester's have strengthened where we have neither straightened nor weakened. Hopefully, not that i can see it now, we/Conte is starting to build a team to compete on all fronts in 2 to 3 seasons

24 minutes ago, gadget said:

Sound weird after a title winning season but i'd be content with a top 4 finish. Last season we outplayed expectations + the Manchester's have strengthened where we have neither straightened nor weakened. Hopefully, not that i can see it now, we/Conte is starting to build a team to compete on all fronts in 2 to 3 seasons

Lol no that's not weird, I'd be pretty content with that too. Unless a couple of marqee signings arrive by the end of the month,  we'll be over achieving in winning another title. 2018-19 could well be different though.

3 hours ago, Jype said:

I think for his development Middlesbrough is a good loan.

For some of the promoted / bottom half PL teams he might have been a good punt too, but there's always the risk of not getting enough games like Chalobah at Burnley couple years ago so it's better to play more at lower level than watch games from the stands at top level. Also there aren't too many suitable PL clubs left who haven't already got themselves a loanee from Chelsea and the PL rules allow only one loanee from the same parent club. 

Baker's only really played at professional level footy in Eredivisie and while his performances there were great it's still a massive step up to go straight from there to the Premier League so maybe for him it's better to commit to a long term loan at a top Championship side and if they get promoted then he's already an integral part of their squad so there's a good chance he'd get a lot of experience from PL level next year.

Long term loans seem to be the new trend. Courtois was obviously the first to do that but he was bought for a decent amount of money so doesn't really count, but after that we've seen two year loans for Christensen, Baker (Vitesse), Kalas, Piazon, Van Ginkel and now again Baker at Middlesbrough. For the players these long term loans are great, they get a sense of belonging at their loan clubs and can focus on developing their game instead of always having to adjust to new surroundings at a new club which takes is obviously bound to take it's toll on the youngsters. 

We thought the same about Bamford and look how that turned out. A Prem loan would be more beneficial IMO.

On another note, we need new players fast.