Fernando Torres

Chelsea to make record £38m offer after Torres transfer request rejected

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-to-make-record-38m-offer-after-torres-transfer-request-rejected-2197678.html

Chelsea is still optimistic about david luiz.

Chelsea are still confident of signing Luiz, despite claims from the Portuguese club that negotiations have broken down. Sources say Chelsea have offered £28m for the 23-year-old centre-half, who has recently broken into the Brazil team, but Benfica are demanding a further £4m to cover development fees to Luiz's former club Victoria da Bahia and commissions to the agents involved.

Benfica issued a statement on their website yesterday which read: "Negotiations between Benfica and Chelsea, with a view to the possible transfer of David Luiz, were concluded today without the parties having reached an agreement. Contrary to reports, David Luiz never tried to force his way out of the club and is a model professional."

Chelsea nevertheless seemed optimistic a deal could still be concluded before the window closes. It would be a remarkable piece of business if they could land both Torres and Luiz for a total of more than £60m in the next three days.

Think its mad going to chelsea. massive rebuilding job, and for all of abramovichs worth, it counts for nothing and i mean nothing in the summer. small stadium, high

wages.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=270074.760

Why do they insult Stamford Bridge on RAWK by saying we have a 'small stadium', Anfield isn't much bigger.

I've been sitting and reading this thread for the last couple of days, trying to remember my password! But I honestly think it'll be a good move.. He's proven in both PL and CL, okay he picks up knocks, but it may be down to Liverpool's medical team, we don't know. In all fairness this kind of deal doesn't happen in a few days and inside a January window? I think it's unlikely but the Chels heart in me wants to be pleasantly surprised come Monday night! I'm going to Chels v Liverpool so that'd be great to see him make his debut.. We'll just have to see what pans out!

Liverpool are bracing themselves for a renewed bid from Chelsea for Fernando Torres after turning down a transfer request from the striker.

The Anfield club rejected Torres' request and then told the Spain forward they expect him to honour his contract.

Speculation had been rife about the 26-year-old's future after the club turned down a £35million bid from Chelsea.

Just hours after the Reds concluded a deal with Ajax for their Uruguay forward Luiz Suarez, Torres handed in his request.

It was rejected and the player was reminded of his previous pledge to the club.

"Fernando Torres tonight submitted a written transfer request, which has been rejected by Liverpool," said a club statement.

"Fernando is under long-term contract and the club expect him to honour the commitment he made to Liverpool FC and its supporters when he signed the agreement."

Barely had news of the Suarez deal, worth up to £22.8million for the Dutch club, filtered out then speculation began to increase about Torres.

It had been hoped the capture of the Uruguayan would provide the necessary evidence that owners Fenway Sports Group were serious about investing in the squad and convince star names they could have a successful future at Anfield.

Commitment

However, it appears the 26-year-old's mind had already been made up to ask to leave in the wake of Chelsea's bid even though he has a contract until the end of 2013.

The Stamford Bridge side have tried to sign Torres before but the striker put an end to the speculation spoke publicly of his feelings for the club on August 3, saying: "My commitment and loyalty to the club and to the fans is the same as it was on my first day when I signed.

"I am looking forward to the challenge ahead."

It is those comments which the club have now turned back on the player, insisting they have no desire to allow him to leave.

Their statement also, quite cleverly, leans heavily on the elevated position the Spaniard has with the supporters, who have adored their number nine since the day he signed in July 2007.

The timing of Torres' request is odd, just three days before the close of the transfer window, and that could act in Liverpool's favour as they desperately try to hold on to their star striker.

Even if Chelsea return with an improved bid the Merseysiders will reject it and then can stall and frustrate any other attempts to manufacture a move, knowing there is very little time left for pressure to build.

Manager Kenny Dalglish is scheduled to hold his pre-match press conference on Monday - deadline day - but he is likely to have done plenty of talking behind the scenes before he faces the media.

Why do they insult Stamford Bridge on RAWK by saying we have a 'small stadium', Anfield isn't much bigger.

Bitterness is the reason. What's stadium size got to do with anything anyway. They should be the last ones to be bringing this up when they can't sell out a 45,000 stadium. They're an embarassment and need to wake up and realise it's 20 years and counting.