UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

In all seriousness what is the reception DL4 and Rami going to get?

They will be greeted like heroes, especially Luiz. Ramires only played the one season with us and we all knew during that season that he wasn't going to stick around too long before he got snapped up, but Luiz came into Benfica as an underdog and surprised everyone. He was a fan favorite and always treated Benfica with respect and our fans will definitely return the favor when he returns.

Great to meet you guys in the Champions League. I think it's the first time in history, so I'm really looking forward to the match. It will also the return of Ramires and David to the 'Cathedral of Light' :D

I can't say it's an easy draw. Chelsea has had better european performances than Benfica in the last decade, and although you're going through a bad fase right now, you are still one of the best in Europe. But we can't complain - Chelsea is slightly favorite, but it was good for us to avoid the Real, Barcelona and Bayern. After APOEL and Marseille, you guys were our first choice (as I'm sure we were you're second or third choice). It will be 2 really hard games, but it's a draw that allow us to dream with another presence in the semi-finals.

I hope I can participate in the forum and discuss with you guys. It's OK, right?

We also have a forum with an English section:

http://serbenfiquist...forum/index.php

I invite you to participate and have a chat with us. If you have any doubt about Lisbon, tickets, anything, we will be happy to help you :)

PS: Why do I feel a bit of tension here? :dunno:

Congrulations on the victory today. Great to see the good old Torres backblue%20scalf.gif

I’ve just been searching through a Benfica forum, and their fans are extremely arrogant and seem somewhat delusional, don’t be fooled by this ‘don’t underestimate us’ attitude, as they are totally convinced they will progress.

well If anyone should be able to recognise arrogance it has to be you. You must see it in the mirror everytime you shave,

I’ve just been searching through a Benfica forum, and their fans are extremely arrogant and seem somewhat delusional, don’t be fooled by this ‘don’t underestimate us’ attitude, as they are totally convinced they will progress.

I don't know wich forum you've been at, but I don't think we are tottaly convinced we will progress. It was important for us to avoid certain teams. Chelsea is an extremely hard team but that allow us to dream. We were happy to play Chelsea mainly beacause it's a great team, and the atmosphere at the Cathedral of Light at big european games is unmatchable. Of course Chelsea's favorite, but I think both teams have good chances. We don't plan to win the Champions League. Imo we've done our obligation and anything better than this a bonus. Our goal is to win the Portuguese League and to be regularly at this fase so that in the future we can dream with something more... That 'something more' could have happened in 2006 but you can't just beat Barcelona, if you know what I mean. Honestly, I think it's against UEFA laws.

BTW, we don't really care about the City x Sporting game. I don't think portuguese teams rape english teams constantly like I read somewhere. Actually portuguese teams' statistics in England soil is quite sad. Alttough I think Benfica's performance in the last couple of years in England has come to take a better course with good displays against United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton. Too bad that 09/10 Anfield game. Oh wel...

I want to see your happiness by catching Benfica when you lose againts us.

You sure don't know our power, and Drogba is going to regret what he did.

There's no need for this type of comments, really...

Chelsea is unarguably favorite.

Great to meet you guys in the Champions League. I think it's the first time in history, so I'm really looking forward to the match. It will also the return of Ramires and David to the 'Cathedral of Light' :D

I can't say it's an easy draw. Chelsea has had better european performances than Benfica in the last decade, and although you're going through a bad fase right now, you are still one of the best in Europe. But we can't complain - Chelsea is slightly favorite, but it was good for us to avoid the Real, Barcelona and Bayern. After APOEL and Marseille, you guys were our first choice (as I'm sure we were you're second or third choice). It will be 2 really hard games, but it's a draw that allow us to dream with another presence in the semi-finals.

I hope I can participate in the forum and discuss with you guys. It's OK, right?

We also have a forum with an English section:

http://serbenfiquist...forum/index.php

I invite you to participate and have a chat with us. If you have any doubt about Lisbon, tickets, anything, we will be happy to help you :)

PS: Why do I feel a bit of tension here? :dunno:

Congrulations on the victory today. Great to see the good old Torres backblue%20scalf.gif

Welcome to the forum mate, you represent your team very well, glad to have you on board. We always enjoy discussions with fans from other teams so feel free to post around ;)

Your avatar is great and I hope Porto can beat you to title this season :D

Welcome to the forum mate, you represent your team very well, glad to have you on board. We always enjoy discussions with fans from other teams so feel free to post around ;)

Your avatar is great and I hope Porto can beat you to title this season :D

Thanks!

We'll see who wins. We understand perfectly that to become champions here it's not enough to be better, we need to be 3x better, good enough to beet the 4-3-3-3 formation. :rolleyes:

Every avatar with Pablo in it is great ^_^

That's great, I'll join up sometime today or tomorrow :)

I'm not much of a Benfica fan but I love Eusebio, does he still work at the club?

Are you a fan of any portuguese club? And can you tell me why are you not much of a Benfica fan? knuppel2.gif

Eusebio is like an ambassador of the club, or a honorary president. We really like him, for what he has done for us and for the person he is. Very loyal, passionate and humble. But although he was one of the 5 best players ever imo, I don't understand why some people say that without Eusebio we were nobody. He arrived at 1961. At that time we were the current european champions and we were already the most successful portuguese club. :dunno:

Are you a fan of any portuguese club? And can you tell me why are you not much of a Benfica fan? knuppel2.gif

Eusebio is like an ambassador of the club, or a honorary president. We really like him, for what he has done for us and for the person he is. Very loyal, passionate and humble. But although he was one of the 5 best players ever imo, I don't understand why some people say that without Eusebio we were nobody. He arrived at 1961. At that time we were the current european champions and we were already the most successful portuguese club. :dunno:

It's because I don't follow Portuguese football. I kind of liked Porto, because of 2004 and the great football they played last year. But I'm still not really a fan of any of the big 3. There is a great quote about Eusebio, by António Simões, who said:

With Eusébio maybe we could be tri European Champions, without him maybe we could win the League..

Of course, Benfica were already established as a top club before 1961, but you have to agree Eusebio took a very good club, into a great club.

Speaking of Eusebio - Milan, Inter, Arsenal and Spurs have already been on the Eusébio Cup. Next June is Real's turn. I don't know if you guys know but Chelsea will be at the Eusébio Cup in June/August 2013.

Hopefully there's no hard feeling from any of the players that play this season in the UCL clashes. Nice to know they chose us tho, maybe it's a present from Benfica for ruining AVB's life.

It's funny you point that out. Simões was probably one of the biggest reasons of Eusébio's success. Still, almost 0 people in Portugal know him.

I just feel like sometimes people think we had a crappy team and always had crappy teams except that guy who came from Africa that has more goals than games in his carrer. Of course Eusebio made the difference. He would make the difference in any team in football history, and without him Benfica wouldn't be the same. But then again, Benfica wouldn't be the same without any of the players in that team. Or in the 50's / 70's / 80's / early 90's team. I think that when people think of Benfica they think "they had Eusebio but they had any other good player ever", wich isn't true. We have 10 european finals, but only 5 of them were in the 60's. We are the 3rd clube with more presences in Quarter-Finals, the 6th team with most european games played and 4th or 5h team with more Champions League finals. I'm not trying to grab about myself here :D.

I'm not talking about you in specific of course. That's how we feel the general opinion of the a football fan is.

Hopefully there's no hard feeling from any of the players that play this season in the UCL clashes. Nice to know they chose us tho, maybe it's a present from Benfica for ruining AVB's life.

I don't think there will be any 'fight' between the players on any of the games, eheh :D

About AVB, did you guys aprove Roman Abramovich's decision?

Mixed feelings. Some were desperate for him to go even a couple of months ago and some wanted him to be given time to build his own squad. There were obviously problems with him and most of the players so something needed to be done. Let's just say it's a lot easier for an owner to sack the manager as it is to sack 5 players. It's probably turned into the right decision but that can only really depend on who's in charge next season. I hope Robbie gets his big chance because i think the players seem more relaxed and happy working under him. Roman has a big decision to make in the summer that is for sure.

It's funny you point that out. Simões was probably one of the biggest reasons of Eusébio's success. Still, almost 0 people in Portugal know him.

I just feel like sometimes people think we had a crappy team and always had crappy teams except that guy who came from Africa that has more goals than games in his carrer. Of course Eusebio made the difference. He would make the difference in any team in football history, and without him Benfica wouldn't be the same. But then again, Benfica wouldn't be the same without any of the players in that team. Or in the 50's / 70's / 80's / early 90's team. I think that when people think of Benfica they think "they had Eusebio but they had any other good player ever", wich isn't true. We have 10 european finals, but only 5 of them were in the 60's. We are the 3rd clube with more presences in Quarter-Finals, the 6th team with most european games played and 4th or 5h team with more Champions League finals. I'm not trying to grab about myself here :D.

I'm not talking about you in specific of course. That's how we feel the general opinion of the a football fan is.

I don't think there will be any 'fight' between the players on any of the games, eheh :D

Not at all. I think Roman had no choice but, when the manger is hated by more or less the entire squad you've got to move him on for the short term good of the club. I'm still a supporter of Villas-Boas though, and he should have seen this coming and shipped out the troublemakers in summer 2011.

I agree, there are a lot of people who are obsessed with the idea of one-man teams, particularly Santos and Benfica. Most people think it was all Pele and Eusebio. That's true to an extent, some times those 2 players, particularly Eusebio carried their team but most of the time they had ample support. It's not the same as Barcelona and Messi, though; those two players were the particular stand outs of their team wheres if you took Messi out of Barcelona they'd still be able to quote.

I am half portuguese and have supported Benfica since I was a child, so this will certainly be an interesting tie for me. But I have blue blood so I will always support Chelsea.

But Benfica are capable of very good performances, we must not underestimate them.

Welcome to the forum mate. Eusebio is a legend.

I am not sure about the decision to fire AVB. I think this season would have continued to be bad with him aboard, but I also think if we would've kept him that he could've done something magnificent next season with his own players.